• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Brown Snow??

olddawgsrule

Saw a post here from a few years back were a couple of folks came across the same..

This occurred last Thursday (?) at Jay Peak with an overnight snow fall.
Top covering of brown on the snow.

I know most figured it was from rusty pipes on the snow-making (in the previous thread), but, it was everywhere and not deep.. Just a coating.

You could still see in the woods where folks hadn't skied on Saturday.
With Saturday nights fresh dropping of snow, Sunday you'd be hard pressed to see it anywhere.

First time I've ever seen it!
And being an Olddawg... I've seen a few seasons..

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sounds like dust, pollen, or sediment in the snow that appeared because the snow had either melted back or settled.

skiberg

Brown snow is fairly common in CO during the spring. Dust storms often drop a layer here or there.
attachment.php
Winter Park. Last April. You can see the layer cake appearance in the snow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 169

j law

When I lived in Colorado we'd get a dusting of reddish snow almost every year from the deserts further west. Not sure that happens here in the east though

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

olddawgsrule

I can understand dust from the desert, I get dust from even a local pit, but I'm not finding one close enough or uncovered enough to be the answer. Melting back has merit, but it happened during an over-night fall of snowfall and on top.

Tried researching local (even further out) manufacturing plants and not getting a possible solution (especially for the amount).
There was a event in Iceland, seems a bit out there, but it's there...

I've also tried to explain it by rusty snow-making pipes, but it covered everything... on top...

I did ask several of the employees up there what they thought of it.
Mostly shrouded shoulders and a 'Who cares' attitude..
Two actually were concerned about the reason for the question.. That had me even more curious..

I have no clue.
I've never experienced it before in all my years of riding in the Northeast.
Was curious what you folks could shed on this..

Thank you all for your input, well the serious ones..
The others I expected and laughed accordingly.

Enjoy it while we got it!
Ride safe my friends!
And if you can't do that.. brings friends to carry you out!