• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush - 1/18-1/19

sankaty

Date(s) Skied: 1/18-1/19

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush (Mt. Ellen Sun / Lincoln Mon)

Conditions: Powder/PP/Variable

Trip Report:

Skiing was good overall Sun/Monday at Sugarbush. I was skiing mostly with the kids, so I wasn't able to get to the steeps/trees much. Conditions were generally decent at Mount Ellen on Sunday with the groomers in great shape, and the snowmaking ungroomed trails were mostly soft, too. FIS was a bit slick. The North Ridge Chair was completely down all day and the Inverness Chair was down for chunks of the day, too. Even though the crowd was average, the lift lines were much longer than usual for much of the day, and the slow Summit Quad provided the only access to upper mountain trails. We made the best of it, but it was a major bummer. I know that ski areas have limited control over lift reliability, but Mt. Ellen/Sugarbush operations did not make a good impression, and it will definitely figure negatively in our decision of where to ski next time.

Because the North Ridge was still down, we moved over to Lincoln Peak on Monday. Conditions were highly variable, having had a mini thaw/freeze overnight followed by a fair amount of snow. Conditions ranged from pretty bad on the skied-off high traffic areas to absolutely sublime in the many areas covered in fresh snow. Most of the low-angle groomers were in great shape all day with fresh snow piling up over a smooth base. Birch Run and Morning Star under the North Links were supper fluffy. We a blast in the Deeper Sleeper trees. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to ski off Heaven's Gate and Castlerock.

It was snowing pretty heavily for much of the afternoon, so the trails were just getting softer as the day wore on. Conditions today should be great.

WWF-VT

It is tough when the North Ridge isn't running at Mt Ellen. It covers most of the main blue cruisers and without that chair you either have to lap the Summit chair or go to the base and ride the GMX.