• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Vertical Challenge

Madroch

Very sad. I skipped the event this year due to vacation in Stowe (off the hook). Did it the last two years. The majority of the participants do not fly down at high speeds. You can reach the 100k doing 35 easy... Yes, some of the trained racers flew, and most of those had race stock GS- I did it on fischer rc- no issues. Watch the 2013 film- people just cruising... That corner isn't crazy but legs (at least mine- 45 yo) are pretty tired and it is tightish in tired legs- inside track is ideal but always got super rutted real quick. I have race stock GS but figured the fatigue would be worse than the added stability...so I used race carvers instead and slowed down. It is so very sad that this man lost his life, and too bad that a great event that raised a good bit of money for a most worthwhile cause will probably be cancelled.

Madroch

Also- not surprisingly- most of the film in 2012 is about a pretty stout high school sr- and some other racers who finished 100k at like 2:30 or 3:00- those finishing at 430 or later are not going anywhere near that speed.

Highway Star

Highway Star

Highwaystar,

You certainly have a point, but where this accident occurred, I'd be surprised if he was going over 30. 40 max. It was at the very bottom of the mountain where the last turn would be to head for the lift. The pitch before the turn isn't all that steep. Maybe he did ask too much of his equipment as the turn is sharp. We all catch edges from time to time when we are not maximizing our equipment's capability. I actually catch edges most often when I'm not pushing it and I'm skiing lazy.

We'll probably never know, but it's likely he just hit his head off a rock in a bad way with tragic results. You don't have to be traveling at that high of a rate of speed to cause serious damage doing that. Would your DH or SG skis have prevented the accident? Who knows. He could have just gotten lazy with his edge and tumbled over. No way to really play Internet Forensics just by looking at the type of ski he was on.

I never said he should have been skiing on SG or DH skis for this event, rather that they do exist and are better for exceeding 60mph. When handled properly, they work quite well for spending lots of time in the 40 to 70mph range, and turn just fine at that speed range. HOWEVER, they can be very touchy and fatiguing to ski on. Any race ski is pretty touchy and dangerous if you need to speed check/skid on variable snow, compared to the midfats most people are comfortable on these days.

Given the variable nature of the snow and a more realistic actual top speed range of 45-55mph, I would personally select a race construction midfat (85-90mm waist, 25m-30m sidecut, 185-195 cm, wood core/2 sheets of metal/sandwich) with a single 10mm lifter or damper plate, with a race stock binding. Good ski for this event:

http://www.epicski.com/t/103771/stockli-stormrider-xxxl-size-recommendation-please

yeggous

As mentioned before, surprised netting was not used on the run - just in case!

There were fences in places, including across most of the the entrance to the lift line where he went over.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

MadMadWorld

I never said he should have been skiing on SG or DH skis for this event, rather that they do exist and are better for exceeding 60mph. When handled properly, they work quite well for spending lots of time in the 40 to 70mph range, and turn just fine at that speed range. HOWEVER, they can be very touchy and fatiguing to ski on. Any race ski is pretty touchy and dangerous if you need to speed check/skid on variable snow, compared to the midfats most people are comfortable on these days.

Given the variable nature of the snow and a more realistic actual top speed range of 45-55mph, I would personally select a race construction midfat (85-90mm waist, 25m-30m sidecut, 185-195 cm, wood core/2 sheets of metal/sandwich) with a single 10mm lifter or damper plate, with a race stock binding. Good ski for this event:

http://www.epicski.com/t/103771/stockli-stormrider-xxxl-size-recommendation-please

Stop acting like you are f'ing Alberta Tomba. I'm sick of all your bullshit talk. Let's have a ski off....loser is permanently banned....what say you?!?!

Highway Star

Stop acting like you are f'ing Alberta Tomba. I'm sick of all your bullshit talk. Let's have a ski off....loser is permanently banned....what say you?!?!

So now you're hating on me because I know something about ski gear? I'm not sure you even know how to put on your skis in the right direction.

skis-on-backwards.jpg

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
So now you're hating on me because I know something about ski gear? I'm not sure you even know how to put on your skis in the right direction.

skis-on-backwards.jpg

I wouldn't recommend that ski for skiing switch in this configuration. I'd much prefer a mid-fat twin tip with a wood core with a titanal layer for dampening. However, if your'e going for twitter points this is a win!

Cannonball

I wouldn't recommend that ski for skiing switch in this configuration. I'd much prefer a mid-fat twin tip with a wood core with a titanal layer for dampening. However, if your'e going for twitter points this is a win!

I would recommend that you ONLY ski switch in this configuration!

yeggous

Bump.

Many of you know that I tried to complete this challenge last year. Tragically the event was cut short when one of my fellows skiers, Sam Moore, 34, of North Conway, was killed in an accident while participating. While I did not witness the accident occur, I did see the aftermath.

I have chosen to return this year and finish what I started. Typically registration fills up very quickly, but in the wake of last year registration still had not filled. If anyone cares to join me, registration remains open.

I have already promised my wife Noreen that I will use my best judgement and conduct myself as safely as possible. While she does not want me to participate again this year, experiencing last year's tragedy has strengthened my resolve to complete the challenge this year.

Please take the time to support my effort, and seriously ill children who could use our help.

https://friends.nh.wish.org/fundraise?fcid=620126

yeggous

I'm heading up to North Conway tonight to prepare myself for the event. The challenge is Monday. The forecast looks like it will start as refrozen bullet proof in the morning, and then transition into some kind of hot mess by late afternoon. Should be interesting to see what mother nature throws at us. These are not ideal conditions, but I'm planning to go for it anyways.

Don't hesitate to send along those donations to Make-A-Wish. I'm wishing for a better season next year.
https://friends.nh.wish.org/fundraise?fcid=620126

Edd

Wildcat is a mix of slush and ice today. Fun skiing, and a nice day out. Tomorrow promises to be good. Polecat and Middle Catapult are roped off, which is not promising for the days ahead.

yeggous

Wildcat is a mix of slush and ice today. Fun skiing, and a nice day out. Tomorrow promises to be good. Polecat and Middle Catapult are roped off, which is not promising for the days ahead.

Middle Catapult can be a train wreck on a good day. With all the freeze-thaw it has not been pretty. My guess is that they want to let Polecat drain before they put together the pieces.

Everything should freeze solid tonight. I'm not sure what to expect tomorrow. On one hand, it will have plenty of time to drain. On the other hand, the melt was severe.

How are base depths holding up? Any news on the condition of Lynx?