• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Vertical Challenge

yeggous

I apologize in advance for the shameless plug.

I just registered for the 12th Annual 100K Vertical Foot Challenge at Wildcat and I would personally appreciate your support. This is a charity event that supports the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The goal is to ski 100,000 vertical feet non-stop in one day. The Lynx trail is closed for the day and limited to just the challenge participants. The goal is 48 top-to-bottom runs of 2,112 vertical feet on Lynx within the 9-hour window, 7:30am - 4:30pm. This leaves 11 minutes and 15 seconds per run. The Wildcat Express Quad can reach the summit in less than 7 minutes, which leaves just under 4.5 minutes to ski down.

This is my first time participating the Wildcat Vertical Challenge. I would appreciate any tips that veterans of the event can offer.

Please take the time to support my efforts and Make-A-Wish of New Hampshire by donating online.

mriceyman

Is there a deadline? Would love to help but not the best time for me cash flow wise.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

yeggous

Is there a deadline? Would love to help but not the best time for me cash flow wise.

The event is March 9. I think they'll accept donations for 60 days after that, but it would not count towards the fund raising goals and contest.

mriceyman

Ill def help you out before then!

Angus

Great event. Participated when they did not cap the # of runs. I got to 50 and quit with time remaining. It snowed most of day and I was pretty wiped and then drove 3+ hours home. You ski right on and they tossed a few trail mix bars my way during the afternoon! I've been wanting to get back and do it again but doubt I will this year. When you get to about 25 runs, you really lose focus which you need to guard against. From 40 on, you regain the focus because you're anticipating the end.

CoolMike

I'd be curious to see if many snowboarders are able to accomplish this task. I get fatigued after 20-25 runs and I'm in relatively good shape - although I'm no endurance athlete.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think its Madroch, but I know 1 AZ member does this event annually. Johnskismore has done it as well

Cannonball

I'd be curious to see if many snowboarders are able to accomplish this task. I get fatigued after 20-25 runs and I'm in relatively good shape - although I'm no endurance athlete.

From an energy output standpoint I can put in WAY more vert on a snowboard than skis. I'm not positive I could accomplish this event on skis, but I'm pretty sure I could on a board. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with individual sport-specific fitness, but in general I think that snowboarding takes less effort than skiing. It's mostly gross body weight changes as opposed to subtle, single-leg muscle control. And 9 hours in boots?!? I'll take snowboarding please.

moresnow

I apologize in advance for the shameless plug.

I just registered for the 12th Annual 100K Vertical Foot Challenge at Wildcat and I would personally appreciate your support. This is a charity event that supports the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The goal is to ski 100,000 vertical feet non-stop in one day. The Lynx trail is closed for the day and limited to just the challenge participants. The goal is 48 top-to-bottom runs of 2,112 vertical feet on Lynx within the 9-hour window, 7:30am - 4:30pm. This leaves 11 minutes and 15 seconds per run. The Wildcat Express Quad can reach the summit in less than 7 minutes, which leaves just under 4.5 minutes to ski down.

This is my first time participating the Wildcat Vertical Challenge. I would appreciate any tips that veterans of the event can offer.

Please take the time to support my efforts and Make-A-Wish of New Hampshire by donating online.

Sounds like fun. I don't have experience skiing that far nonstop, but i have run for 12+ hrs at a time. The key is to keep eating. Start eating early, and often. A snack every other lift ride should do you. have a good mix of sweet and salty foods, and keep hydrated.

Good luck!

Edd

A number of years ago I thought I could do this, no problem. Pretty sure I was kidding myself.

Madroch

Do it annually... Love it.. May not this year as my partner in crime crapped out with a work commitment ... Great day for an awesome cause...

Madroch

Cannonball- The problem for borders is the traverse at the top.. Time killer...

yeggous

Bump. The challenge is tomorrow. Pleas send in those last minute donations!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

They just cancelled the event. Someone got critically injured. He went flying off the trail down the Tomcat lift line. He was found unconscious and bleeding from the head.

No decision has been made about rescheduling or the future of the event.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
wow....

Hope that individual is okay.

I'm sure it's a disappointment to have to call off the Challenge, but I can see why they would. Hopefully you get to enjoy just a nice day of skiing instead. Must be nice up there today.

yeggous

Conditions were packed powder everywhere. The groomers were skiing really nice.

I had 12 runs in the first two hours before they pulled everyone off the course. I went back out for two more runs after the debriefing. Around 10:30 I bagged it for the day and drove to work. This way I could avoid burning the full day of PTO.

Stopping the event was very disappointing for me. I had arranged my weekend around it. I hope they do reschedule it and keep the event going in future years. They must be reassessing. I've never seen people skiing at such speeds.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I imagine you need to keep a good pace to get 48 runs in, but not like Super G pace. It would seem like endurance is in greater need than speed.

No way I could do it without being in far better shape than I am now.