• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Auditor: Should the State Re-Evaluate Ski Area Leases?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Legally it shouldn't be possible. But breaking the contracts must be what the State of Vermont is exploring.

Why else would the State Auditor investigate this in the first place given the next lease up doesn't come due for almost 18 years!

You're left with only two logical possibilities:

A) This is typical government inefficiency & a waste of money from Vermonter's paychecks
B) The State of Vermont is exploring the option of breaking those contracts and making millions

Frankly, if Vermont's State Auditor is a man of such high financial talents, he should "investigate" the nearly 1/2 BILLION DOLLARS that Jay Peak has received through EB-5 with thus far no hard financial auditing.

Yeah that would make too much sense......

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I were a resident I'd write my reps immediately expressing I'm not pleaseed that my tax dollars are going to lawyers looking into this

BenedictGomez

A state that's growing increasing more and more liberal is "struggling" to come up with money for the budget?

That's the least shocking thing I've heard this month.

2+2.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
When is a contract not a contract? When the state of Vermont is a party. The scheming has begun:
http://thevpo.org/2015/01/25/how-to-get-those-ski-leases-reopened/

I didn't realize that the ski industry was a "lucrative" one. The employees I know who work in the biz surely don't drive Bimmers to work. And most resorts are lucky if they break even.

And FWIW I've heard of that blog and how ideological it is. I won't be visiting it again. Scary to think that is the mindset of those in Montpelier.

BenedictGomez

I didn't realize that the ski industry was a "lucrative" one. The employees I know who work in the biz surely don't drive Bimmers to work. And most resorts are lucky if they break even.

And FWIW I've heard of that blog and how ideological it is. I won't be visiting it again. Scary to think that is the mindset of those in Montpelier.

It's frightening that the "liberal Vermont blogger" (as he calls himself) thinks legally signed contracts should be broken so that the government can grab more cash from private businesses who legally inked those deals with the state. Not that the Soviet Peoples Republic of Vermont doesnt sound fun or anything of course.

That, and the fact he feels that giving a tax break to Vermont's #1 industry (tourism) is a bad thing. He cant see the logic that "tax break on snowmaking & ski infrastructure equipment" = better ski conditions and better ski resorts = more skiers = more revenue to small towns and lodges, motels, hotels, restaurants, bars, auto repair shops, friggin' everything. Not shocking though, economics is kryptonite to the liberal mind.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's frightening that the "liberal Vermont blogger" (as he calls himself) thinks legally signed contracts should be broken so that the government can grab more cash from private businesses who legally inked those deals with the state. Not that the Soviet Peoples Republic of Vermont doesnt sound fun or anything of course.

That, and the fact he feels that giving a tax break to Vermont's #1 industry (tourism) is a bad thing. He cant see the logic that "tax break on snowmaking & ski infrastructure equipment" = better ski conditions and better ski resorts = more skiers = more revenue to small towns and lodges, motels, hotels, restaurants, bars, auto repair shops, friggin' everything. Not shocking though, economics is kryptonite to the liberal mind.

He clearly has no clue

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

The hidden agenda is that the left wing would love to see ski areas close. They don't like the environmental impact and they view it as a hobby for the few of us left that are paying taxes.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not surprising at all.....

http://vtdigger.org/2015/02/15/ski-resorts-balk-auditors-suggestion-review-leases-state-land/

And if folks want to listen, he did an interview on the Mark Johnson Show on WDEV a couple weeks back. I was surprised as to the number of callers who approve the idea.

http://markjohnsonshow.podbean.com/e/2415-auditor-doug-hoffer/

Personally, I think that a deal is a deal and a contract is a contract. The ski areas and state made business decisions back when they signed the leases--for better or worse. The fact that now the State is having money troubles (not in small part due to their huge demographic problems) is unfortunate but does not give them license to say "gosh darn, we want out." They have to wait until the respective leases are up and renegotiate. That's the only fair way to do it. I am really disappointed with the attitude of my home state.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good to see Heidi being the voice of reason. I knew her way back in the day when she worked on the Jim Jeffords campaign team.

On a side note, she actually bought the first ski bum house I had rented in Stowe when I first moved there in 1995.

I don't see how this renegotiating goes through.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good to see Heidi being the voice of reason. I knew her way back in the day when she worked on the Jim Jeffords campaign team.

On a side note, she actually bought the first ski bum house I had rented in Stowe when I first moved there in 1995.

I don't see how this renegotiating goes through.

Some of the comments are laughable and downright scary. Hate to tell Hoffer, but Stowe has NEVER been owned by locals....it was always owned and run by NYC interests (the predecessor and successor of AIG).

As to the action, it is a political stunt that is meant to get people pissed off and to try to get more money for the State. It has nothing to do with fairness and all to do with this i$$ue.

VTKilarney

You know it's a bad idea when Howard Dean comes out against it.

This is not how you attract business to your state. Talk about penny wise pound foolish. What business would trust state government when they see that a contract is only a one way commitment?

VTKilarney

Wow. The comments after the article are down right scary. Didn't Killington at one time try to become part of New Hampshire? I can see why.
I am sure that there are many environmentalists that would love to see the ski areas closed. Lease renegotiations is likely seen by them as a means to that end.

The leases were amended 19 times over the years. This means that the State had 19 opportunities to renegotiate the leases - and yet failed to do so in a way that lives up to the Auditor's standards. So rather than criticizing the sub-par performance of the state employees that negotiated the leases and amendments, the Auditor insists that they state is the victim even though they were given an extra 19 swings at the plate after their first at bat.

BenedictGomez

Personally, I think that a deal is a deal and a contract is a contract. The ski areas and state made business decisions back when they signed the leases--for better or worse. The fact that now the State is having money troubles (not in small part due to their huge demographic problems) is unfortunate but does not give them license to say "gosh darn, we want out."

State of Vermont's entire argument boils down to, "Guys, our dumb government employees were taken advantage of by private sector financial analysts who....like....know things about math and stuff".

thetrailboss

Staff member
State of Vermont's entire argument boils down to, "Guys, our dumb government employees were taken advantage of by private sector financial analysts who....like....know things about math and stuff".

And yet if this were a commercial transaction the State has the leverage because they are the landlord.

AdironRider

What amazes me is the gall of the VT population. They really think everything a business makes belongs to them.

Otherwise they are "selfish". The business? What about the people of VT demanding others pay their way for everything. Seems like the selfish problem is with the citizens themselves.

They are the ones who elected these people.