• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Want to replace my intermediate ski next season. Suggestions needed.

Grassi21

Last season I purchased the Head C220i. The Head website describes them as Performance-oriented all-mountain carver featuring adaptive Intelligence Technology. For intermediate to advanced riders looking for agile handling in any terrain." I have them in 156 and the dimensions are 114/68/98. I'm 5'7" and about 200 lbs (trying to get down to 175 for my 30th b-day in June ;-)). My impression of the ski is that it is light, easy to turn, not stiff in the slightest, and could be more stable in ungroomed/tracked-out snow. I spend most of my time on groomed blues and blacks. Just recently I got hooked on moguls. My short term goals are to stick with the moguls and hopefully starting to try some easier glade runs. My long term goals is to get into some touring to get more of a work-out and leave the crowded ski areas behind.

So far I've been eying the K2 Public Enemy's. From my research and chats with sales people and randoms on the lift, it seems like this ski might do it for me.

So here are my questions:

Is the K2 PE still worth considering?
Any other suggestions?
How about length? I'm short but 156 seems like a short ski.

BeanoNYC

I would go with 165-170, if I were you. Underfoot, maybe you should go a bit thicker too. Maybe in the mid 70's. Do your current skis chatter when you build up speed on the groomers? I would suggest the AC3's, but they're a bit heavy and rigid in the bumps. Maybe the Solomon tornadoes. They're a bit more flexible and lighter than the AC3's but are the closest thing to em.

Grassi21

I would go with 165-170, if I were you. Underfoot, maybe you should go a bit thicker too. Maybe in the mid 70's. Do your current skis chatter when you build up speed on the groomers? I would suggest the AC3's, but they're a bit heavy and rigid in the bumps. Maybe the Solomon tornadoes. They're a bit more flexible and lighter than the AC3's but are the closest thing to em.

Yeah, those early morning runs on the groomers when the surface is still a bit firm does get them chattering a bit.

BeanoNYC

Yeah, those early morning runs on the groomers when the surface is still a bit firm does get them chattering a bit.

Quite like you, I grew out of my intermediate skis quickly. They would chatter like nobody's business and were just too thin in the midwaist. The AC3 were a great replacement but, like I said, they're a bitch in the bumps. Crud/Pow/Groomers they are great though. Give them a try along with the Tornadoes. Greg has AC3's, I think now...no?

Greg

Staff member
I would go with 165-170, if I were you. Underfoot, maybe you should go a bit thicker too. Maybe in the mid 70's. Do your current skis chatter when you build up speed on the groomers? I would suggest the AC3's, but they're a bit heavy and rigid in the bumps.

First of all - here's the customary advice: Demo.

As for the AC3, they are heavy. That's the biggest issue I have with them in the bumps. I wouldn't call them overly rigid though (mine are 05s. Not sure how this year's ski compares). They might be a tad stiff for bumps, but not bad. It's the weight that I don't like. On groomers and natural snow, they AC3s rock, at least for my style of skiing.

Grassi21

Yeah, I need to check the upcoming demo day thread. When I bought the Heads I don't think demoing would have helped me. I wasn't skilled or knowledgeable enough to know what would work for me. Demoing is definitely in my future...

Greg

Staff member
Maybe try the Dynastar Legend 4800? I demoed it and felt it was a very stable ski, but it sort of lacked the "pop" of the Volkl 724 EXPs I demoed which was the predescessor to the AC3 which is why I went with that.

Paul

Definately go a bit longer, Chris. I'm about your height, but have dropped from 180 to 168, and plan on dropping a bit more. My Atomics are 160, with a 68mm waist. Like you, I'm looking for more of an "all-mountain" type ski. However, I do like mine when on hte groomers.
I plan on demoing the RX8s, Legend 8000s, and one of the K2s but I forget, I think its the recon...

tjf67

Check out ski magizine next Sept. They rate all the skiis and are pretty decent at decribing them. I have the Recons and they are an excellent ski. They perform well and are not to stiff. I also have the AC4's and think that is the best ski I have owned so far. I dont really ski bumps. If they are inbetween where I am and where I want to go I will smash through them but i dont go looking for them.
. Last year Nordica took the prize. the year before it was the Metrons. K-2 recons took it three years ago. This year it is the AC4's.
I have had all of them except the Nordica's. HDP skiis them he would be able to tell you about them.

Atomic- to much side cut(for me). Good grip but you have to stay on them or they will take you for a ride.
K-2. Like driving a cadilac. They are plush but when you stomp on them they go.
AC4. good side cut. Lots of edge grip. Can't dilly dally around on them but you dont have to be on your toes every second like the atomics.

None of the above skiis are great in the bumps. Well may be its me that is not good in the bumps not he ski. Yeah thats probably it.

RISkier

The advice to demo is the best advice. You might not find the absolute optimal ski for you but if you really like something that you demo you'll know you're in the ballpark. I think weight is more an issue with ski length than height. The heavier you are the more you'll bend a stiffer ski. I think you might find that your Heads would be fine if they were 15-20 cm longer. I'm an improving (hopefully) intermediate. Our skis didn't arrive on our plane and I rented some K2 Apache Recons for our first day in Utah. I'm about 190 lbs and rented the 168s. They are about 78 mm wide underfoot. I thought they were forgiving and easy to ski. I also thought they were surprisingly quick edge to edge and plowed through crud pretty well (I'm not very good in crud but the skis were definately better in cut up stuff than my Elans). I don't have any kind of feel for how the edges would hold on real hard snow surfaces and I don't know what kind of speed limit they have. But they were very stable for me. Another ski I'd like to try is the Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous. It's 78mm underfoot and reviews I've read are very positive. Seems to be very forgiving and just a good all around ski.

BeanoNYC

Well, duh...that goes w/o saying. ;)

Grassi...you may be able to work out a day of demos for a fixed price at the shop at MS that weekend you'll be there. Last time I was in that shop they had TONS of demos. I saw a slew of AC3 there as well. It's in the Grand...give a call and see if you can change out demos.

Greg...I have last years AC3's as well, but I hear this years are as rigid as last years AC4's.

Grassi21

Well, duh...that goes w/o saying. ;)

Grassi...you may be able to work out a day of demos for a fixed price at the shop at MS that weekend you'll be there. Last time I was in that shop they had TONS of demos. I saw a slew of AC3 there as well. It's in the Grand...give a call and see if you can change out demos.

Greg...I have last years AC3's as well, but I hear this years are as rigid as last years AC4's.

Good idea. I will be skiing a full day on Friday and Saturday and then a 1/2 day on Sunday. Plenty of time to demo some boards...

Edit: From Snow's website, "For only $50 a day, you can demo as many skis or snowboards as you like."

jack97

Grassi,

Demo is a great idea, the caveat in this case is you want to drop 25 lbs. IMO a big difference in what you feel in stiffness and the best length for a particular model will change with the new weigth. I would say instead of dropping the money on a new gear setup, go to the used option. Once you get to the desired weight…. indulged.

Grassi21

Grassi,

Demo is a great idea, the caveat in this case is you want to drop 25 lbs. IMO a big difference in what you feel in stiffness and the best length for a particular model will change with the new weigth. I would say instead of dropping the money on a new gear setup, go to the used option. Once you get to the desired weight…. indulged.

That's the catch. I would like to demo this season but am looking to buy in May or June. If the weight loss goes according to plan (and it will :)) it will be harder to find the ideal ski at the end of this season. I may just demo a bunch of skis this season so that I can narrow it down to a few models. This way when next season rolls around I can consult my short list focus on length and stiffness.

drjeff

Good idea. I will be skiing a full day on Friday and Saturday and then a 1/2 day on Sunday. Plenty of time to demo some boards...

Edit: From Snow's website, "For only $50 a day, you can demo as many skis or snowboards as you like."

The shop at the Grand Summit is great for demo skis, believe me I know from the literally 10 different pairs my wife has taken out over 3 days, before FINALLY deciding that a pair of Nordica Olympia Speeds were right for her this past weekend. You can apply upto 3 days of demo credit towards the purchase a new pair, and you can switch skis out as many times as you want all day long.

Ask for Carl, he's the main guy in the shop and is a virtual encyclopedia about all the stats/characteristics/traits of every ski in the shop.

They have Atomics, Heads, Rossi's, Nordica's, Salomons and Volkls and while not every model from each mnaufacturer line, they do have most of them and demo's in all sizes.

BeanoNYC

The shop at the Grand Summit is great for demo skis, believe me I know from the literally 10 different pairs my wife has taken out over 3 days, before FINALLY deciding that a pair of Nordica Olympia Speeds were right for her this past weekend. You can apply upto 3 days of demo credit towards the purchase a new pair, and you can switch skis out as many times as you want all day long.

Ask for Carl, he's the main guy in the shop and is a virtual encyclopedia about all the stats/characteristics/traits of every ski in the shop.

They have Atomics, Heads, Rossi's, Nordica's, Salomons and Volkls and while not every model from each mnaufacturer line, they do have most of them and demo's in all sizes.

And, one of us with an a41 pass can get an additional 20%.

bigbog

....any ASC mtn.....

Grassi,
That $ 50/day demo is ASC-wide....lots of skis left up here @Loaf & River shops, with good bargains in access road shops too...ex: Jack Frost( @SundayRiver). Also...over on Epicski, examples of next year's skis already for demo I think...

Grassi21

Grassi,
That $ 50/day demo is ASC-wide....lots of skis left up here @Loaf & River shops, with good bargains in access road shops too...ex: Jack Frost( @SundayRiver). Also...over on Epicski, examples of next year's skis already for demo I think...

Thanks for the heads up. I was driving back from Catamount today and stopped in a shop that had a 40% of everything in stock sale. I was looking at those Volkl AC3s. A lot of you guys have been talking up this ski but as we all know, demo first!.

BeanoNYC

Thanks for the heads up. I was driving back from Catamount today and stopped in a shop that had a 40% of everything in stock sale. I was looking at those Volkl AC3s. A lot of you guys have been talking up this ski but as we all know, demo first!.

Just be cognizant of the fact that many of us are talking about last season's AC3's. IMO, this season's AC3 is less forgiving. My buddy has this years and loves them, except in the bumps because of their weight. In addition, I believe they are a mm or two wider than last year. So. Demo, Demo, Demo.