• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier sues over wet snow

Powda

I had basically the same thing happen yesterday at Jiminy Peak. They were making snow "spraying water" on 50% of the trails. On whitetail I flew right out of skis and slid 1/4 of way down the mountain. Ribs are feeling it today but it could be worse.

skiMEbike

I have had a similar situation/injury hitting a patch of wet manmade snow & really f'd up my knee one year (& for that matter hasn't been the same since)....

This thread really has me wondering...Why do the ski areas open themselves up to this liability (of allowing people to ski under the guns) considering how common this scenario seems to be? I am NOT advocating that any active snowmaking trails should be closed, but seems like a way to avoid or minimize potential lawsuits.

Highway Star

You guys really need to learn how to ski, don't you...? Skiing REALLY wet untracked natural snow:

Notice how I DON'T do a faceplant? Yeah, that's because I don't suck at skiing.

ironhippy

From what I've gathered, you seem just be a troll, but I'll bite anyway.

no one said skiing wet snow was the problem, the problem is the change from dry snow to wet snow without any advanced notice.

legalskier

I'm guessing you guys never ski melting untracked natural snow, because you never can find it.

You guessed wrong. You also didn't comprehend the point of the story linked to by the OP.

Now I'll go back to what I've always done when you're here-- ignore you.

From what I've gathered, you seem just be a troll, but I'll bite anyway.

That, and a legend in his own mind.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
If the snow is consistently wet that's one thing. The problem with guns is you can go from normal sliding to a dead stop in a nanosecond. Try it on teles. Yikes.

I'm known to crash but this year for some reason this season it hasn't happened. Except once. We were running guns at Gore and the last gun (lowest elevation) was wet and I got slammed. First time I ever really understood the idea of "getting the wind knocked out of you." I was sure I must have broken a rib of something but I pushed on my chest and it didn't hurt. I couldn't breath for about 2 minutes and then I was fine.

You guys must be pretty good skiers. Look to me like HS doing a decent job handing some variable conditions in that vid above.

dlague

You guys really need to learn how to ski, don't you...? Skiing REALLY wet untracked natural snow:

This video is like an annual thing?! Feel bad for you every time I see it because I know the comments that will follow!

River19

Is Highway Star really Alan from the Hangover?

catskills

Very common problem. Snow gun can turn from snow to water in minutes. Happens ALL the time. I was night skiing on the same trail for at least two hours one night doing lap after lap, when I came down the hill and everyone in front of me was falling down. Did I slow down? Nooo All I kept thinking was what is wrong with all those people and why are they falling. Then my skiis stopped, I was doing the Superman and splat laying face down in wet snow with the snow gun covering me with water. If I didn't get up I would have been flash frozen and they would not have found us until spring. :)

Another time I was at Mt Snow and they got 20 inches of dry powder during the night. My first run down a no groomer was awesome until toward the bottom of the trail I hit the part where a snow gun covered the dry natural powder with water which then froze on top producing 20 inches of dry powder covered with one inch of man made breakable ice. Talk about a ski area that could really mess things up.

MadMadWorld

If the snow is consistently wet that's one thing. The problem with guns is you can go from normal sliding to a dead stop in a nanosecond. Try it on teles. Yikes.

I'm known to crash but this year for some reason this season it hasn't happened. Except once. We were running guns at Gore and the last gun (lowest elevation) was wet and I got slammed. First time I ever really understood the idea of "getting the wind knocked out of you." I was sure I must have broken a rib of something but I pushed on my chest and it didn't hurt. I couldn't breath for about 2 minutes and then I was fine.

You guys must be pretty good skiers. Look to me like HS doing a decent job handing some variable conditions in that vid above.

Most of us think he probably is a good skier. It's the douche-baggeriness that spews so hate

NotEasyBeingGreen

I think I love this thread more than any other! I feel rather vindicated about a spectacular season ending head over heels crash on whales with blowing snow. I really had no idea the conditions might have played a much larger part in it versus my skill level and being aggressive. Doesn't change the outcome...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone