• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Airfares, ouch.

jaytrem

Anyone have any luck applying for a card that you previously cancelled to get a bonus again?

Yes, I've done repeat cards a few times. Always think one of these days they'll deny me the bonus, but it hasn't happened yet. My latest will be the quickest I've every reapplied after cancelling. It's been a while since they gave me the bonus though, they kept waiving the fee so I kept the card for 3 or 4 years. We'll see how it goes.

jaytrem

Update on the United credit card. I applied on Jan 22nd and got approved immediately. The bag charges didn't drop to $0 until Jan 30th. Just a heads up to anybody who wants to apply right before a trip, looks like applying a good 10 days before is the way to go. Also of note, they say the free bags are only if you book with the card, but the upcoming flight was not booked with a United Card and still gets the free bags. I've noticed that a few times in the past also, so I guess they haven't fixed that "bug" yet. Now the only question is will I get the bonus since I cancelled the same card back in April.

BenedictGomez

Time for me to go apply for the United Card, 55,000 miles and I'll keep it just over a year so I can get free baggage for this year and next and not pay a fee. :) EASY MONEY!!!

That's crazy. I've had the Continental card (which is now United) for something like 15 years. I should just cancel it, wait 6 months, and apply for the United Card for that deal.

prsboogie

$300 would be great. I've not found anything for less than $398 from Boston, Bradley, or PVD to either SLC or Denver on the dates we can travel (we are pretty work limited with respect to travel dates) and the lowest price fares I've found either require very early departures from Bradley or Boston (either would probably require overnight stays, we're old enough to not be willing to get up at 2:30 or 3:00 to set out for the airport), or long flights with 2 stops, or otherwise really ugly connections). In the past we've usually just flown Southwest from Providence but Southwest prices are very high at everything I look at right now. Our date restrictions may be killing us, but fares seem way higher than in the past. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places but I'm not having much luck.

FYI, There are hotels at the airport in Boston that have reasonable rates and they offer shuttles to the terminals and let you leave your car for the length of your trip included in the room rate. I can try to get in touch with my friend who did it all the time.

abc

To the OP, if you don't like the price at the moment, you should keep on checking. There're "sales" from time to time. When one airline runs a sale, the other airlines tend to match the price. So you price you're seeing now may not be the lowest.

Airline will have you believe booking early ALWAYS yield the best price. It doesn't always. There're some time windows when fares are low. I don't know what those windows are but I've found I've pretty much gotten the price in my target zone in the end, albeit with a bit of nail biting wait some years.