• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Guess a ski area in three clues

WoodCore

I would argue that both Bobcat/Catskill Ski Center and Amesbury/Atlantic Forest are correct answers. Perhaps, however, you were looking for Adirondack Ski Center/Alpine Meadows.

Adirondack Ski Center/Alpine Meadows is correct. http://www.nelsap.org/ny/alpinemeadows.html

Amesbury/Atlantic Forest could also be a correct answer but Bobcat/Catskill Ski Center would not be as it was open until 2007 or so.

rtjcbrown

1. No longer operating
2. Had 1 chair, 1 T-bar, 2 rope tows, and a Mountain Coaster
3. Was the oldest operating ski area in its state when it closed

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I've noticed that clues are not always exact, so I'm thinking Mt. Rowe/Alpine Ridge is very close.
1. It is no longer operating.
2. The lift complement is correct, although it was an Alpine Slide - not a Mountain Coaster
3. The original Gunstock, founded in 1937, was called Mt. Rowe (this area of Gunstock is now abandoned) although if one was careless, one could ski between the two areas, until Gunstock retired the single chair that operated there. But Black Mt. opened in 1935, so this part of the clue is close but no cigar.

rtjcbrown

I've noticed that clues are not always exact, so I'm thinking Mt. Rowe/Alpine Ridge is very close.
1. It is no longer operating.
2. The lift complement is correct, although it was an Alpine Slide - not a Mountain Coaster
3. The original Gunstock, founded in 1937, was called Mt. Rowe (this area of Gunstock is now abandoned) although if one was careless, one could ski between the two areas, until Gunstock retired the single chair that operated there. But Black Mt. opened in 1935, so this part of the clue is close but no cigar.

good guess, but incorrect.

Wrong new state

canobie#1

Anyone gonna go?

Alrighty..

1.) Home to classic double chairs
2.) One of their trails is named after a popular cartoon character
3.) Over shadowed by it's neighbor

rtjcbrown

attachment.php

I believe we have 2 correct answers: Smugglers Notch

1. Has the classic doubles
2. Popular cartoon character Robin's Run
3. Overshadowed by Stowe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 146

canobie#1

I don't think smuggs is overshadowed whatsoever. They still get tons of business with families even with their crappy, old resort. But the trees and natural stuff at smuggs are the whole reason to go IMO.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I don't think smuggs is overshadowed whatsoever. They still get tons of business with families even with their crappy, old resort. But the trees and natural stuff at smuggs are the whole reason to go IMO.
I can see both sides of the Stowe/Smuggler's Notch issue.
1. A lot more people have heard of Stowe
2. A lot more people ski at Stowe
3. Real Estate at Stowe is much pricier than real estate at Smuggler's Notch

On the other hand, Smuggler's Notch is a top tier resort with similar vertical to Stowe - and unlike Pico Peak, the overshadowing area didn't have to buy them out to stay in business.

Next clues?

rtjcbrown

OK then, I'll take another turn:

1. My little brother used to live across the street
2. Novices get the Run Around here
3. Today's program is brought to you by the letter J