• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

gas < $2/gal, rev 1.0

Tin

Just put new valves in my (11) Subi. There was nothing wrong with the old valves (74,000 miles). Busted timing belt is what caused the valves to burn out.

Burn out? Since it is a non-interference engine when the timing belt went the valves were smashed and bent to hell when the piston reached top dead center. I just hope it didn't mess up the pistons. This is an example of the damage when driving at a low rpm for only a few seconds. Nothing like metal on metal slamming into one another a couple dozen times. I would honestly sell the thing asap and say the heads were just rebuilt...since they were.

Hammer, this is an issue for most Volvo too. I got mine changed early and a two year guarantee. I will probably do it again in 2 years even though it isn't due for another 75k miles just to be safe. Rather spend $700 in preventative maintenance to have the belt changed than thousands for motor rebuilds.

5149d1266142311-diy-timing-belt-warning-interference-engine-head3-1024-921.jpg

5151d1266142731-diy-timing-belt-warning-interference-engine-cyl3-1024-931.jpg

Geoff

Geoff I'm sure you are aware there are two gas stations near K that sell premium gas with no ehtanol added. Ones in Rutland near the hospital (forget the name). The other is White's near Mt. Tabor on rt.7. Price is about the same as stations selling premium with 10% ethanol added.

I almost never fuel up the GTI in Rutland and my car runs fine with ethanol. I buy ethanol-free gas in Rutland and lug it to the ethanol hell of Massachusetts for my outboard and lawnmower. It saves a lot of rebuilt carbs.

xwhaler

What have you had for ethanol issues in an outboard?

Ethanol is bad for outboards as it causes damage to fuel lines and carbs. I run marine stabil through every tank i run in my boat as well as 91/93 octane

Tin

Ethanol is bad for outboards as it causes damage to fuel lines and carbs. I run marine stabil through every tank i run in my boat as well as 91/93 octane

Stabil is great stuff, the other part of the problem is making sure the gas tank is completely full or completely empty to avoid water getting in. I think it really depends on the motor, some of my friends with older Mercs (specfically Black Max, Optis, and EFIs) always have issues in the spring.

Geoff

What have you had for ethanol issues in an outboard?

The main reason is that you shouldn't let ethanol blend gasoline sit in the carburetor over the winter. It is prone to gumming up even with fuel stabilizer. There are two schools of thought... either run the outboard completely out of fuel; or make sure your last tank of the season is ethanol-free fuel. I go the ethanol-free path most years. I empty the tank into the SUV with a funnel and put a gallon of ethanol-free gas into the tank before I use my inflatable for the last time. My last lawnmower fill is also with ethanol-free fuel.

Ethanol also absorbs water. I don't put many hours on my outboard in a season. When I open the vent on the tank before I start the outboard, it's letting moist ocean air into the tank. Some of that is getting absorbed into the fuel.

My outboard and lawn mower are both pretty new. Older outboards have all kinds of problems with alcohol acting as a solvent and destroying rubber parts. I don't think I have that problem.

skiNEwhere

If I didn't know any better I'd say the OP's ulterior motive was to have this thread (well, both threads) delve into politics

jack97

If I didn't know any better I'd say the OP's ulterior motive was to have this thread (well, both threads) delve into politics

I'll take your bait. If delving into falling gas/oil price relates to the economy which relates to government philosophy on taxation ... then the answer is maybe.

Last time gas prices this low, I use to travel up to VT more often, brings back some fond memories.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I use premium in my car. I have a Saab and I think the higher octane is a requirement of the turbo. My wife's Ford Edge just uses plain ol' regular.

steamboat1

Burn out? Since it is a non-interference engine when the timing belt went the valves were smashed and bent to hell when the piston reached top dead center. I just hope it didn't mess up the pistons. This is an example of the damage when driving at a low rpm for only a few seconds. Nothing like metal on metal slamming into one another a couple dozen times. I would honestly sell the thing asap and say the heads were just rebuilt...since they were.

Hammer, this is an issue for most Volvo too. I got mine changed early and a two year guarantee. I will probably do it again in 2 years even though it isn't due for another 75k miles just to be safe. Rather spend $700 in preventative maintenance to have the belt changed than thousands for motor rebuilds.
5149d1266142311-diy-timing-belt-warning-interference-engine-head3-1024-921.jpg

5151d1266142731-diy-timing-belt-warning-interference-engine-cyl3-1024-931.jpg
Car still runs like shit after the rebuild although I did make it to VT. & back this week & drove it home from VT. Sun so 1 & a 1/2 round trips. One of the valves still has a tick. It was especially noticeable after starting the car Thurs. morning when it was -8. I'll be looking to trade it in for a new one soon.

prsboogie

Another issue ethanol will give you is the deterioration of gaskets. Especially on older model cars and lawn equipment. The shit is no good for any vehicle.

Back to the op, paid $1.90 in Fall River today at Cumberland's with smart pay.

Tin

I use premium in my car. I have a Saab and I think the higher octane is a requirement of the turbo. My wife's Ford Edge just uses plain ol' regular.

You could run most Fords and Chevys on moonshine. Don't ask how I know that.

ALLSKIING

Staff member

It's not the turbo that needs the 93 it's the engine. Most likely your car has the timing bumped up therfore requires 93.