• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

gas < $2/gal, rev 1.0

jack97

It appears the big server located in the sky deleted the gas price thread. i figure it might be worth while to restart it.

Today, saw 1.99 at Hess Andover MA. A couple of days ago, 2.19 at the 93/89 NH rest stop.

Last edited:

hammer

Interesting how 93 Octane is still 40 cents more per gallon even though gas is down almost 50% from its peak...just paid over $2.50/gallon.

moresnow

Interesting how 93 Octane is still 40 cents more per gallon even though gas is down almost 50% from its peak...just paid over $2.50/gallon.

93 octane will always be more than regular. Gas prices have dropped because crude has dropped. The costs of refining and additional additives hasn't.

Geoff

93 octane will always be more than regular. Gas prices have dropped because crude has dropped. The costs of refining and additional additives hasn't.

Premium doesn't have "additional additives". The extra cost at the refinery to make the small amount of premium gasoline is minimal. It's blended with 10% ethanol which is 115 octane so the gasoline part only needs to be 88 octane to produce 91 octane my VW GTI requires. Most of the price spread is the much lower demand for 91-93 octane fuel compared to 87 octane fuel. The gas station buys it and it sits in a huge tank in the ground mostly not being used while their 87 octane storage tank gets sucked dry. Demand for premium gasoline has been dropping steadily for the last 20 years. Everybody now knows that if your car doesn't require it, it's stupid to waste money on more expensive fuel. Those of us with turbos and high compression normally aspirated performance engines just don't buy enough fuel because there simply aren't many of us.

In my travels, I can often find a high volume gas station where the spread is closer to 20 cents than 40+ cents I typically see at the lowest volume stations.

Here are the top 10 cars sold in the US in 2014. I'm not aware that any of them require premium fuel:
Ford F-Series pickup
Chevy Silverado pickup
Dodge Ram pickup
Toyota Camry
Honda Accord
Toyota Corolla
Nissan Altima
Honda CR-V
Honda Civic
Ford Fusion

It's kind of ironic that virtually any car I like requires premium fuel. I really want my next car to run regular gas because of the growing price spread in fuel cost. That's pushing me towards a Subaru Outback and I really should buy the 4 cylinder model to get the 33 mpg highway instead of the 6 cylinder 250-ish hp engine that gets maybe 28 on the highway with a very light foot. I'm finding it really hard to get excited about buying such an appliance.

Tin

What you don't spend on fuel you'll spend on oil. Have to put a few quarts in most Subarus between oil changes. My GFs burns 2-3 quarts between changes. Going straight on the highway for a few hours will burn about a quart as well. Damn piston rings.

Geoff

Don't have to but the turbo likes it more...although the bump in gas mileage may not be worth the extra cost at this point.

I think just about any modern turbo will run on 87 octane but the engine control will sense the knocking and fiddle with the ignition timing and turbo boost so the engine puts out a lot less horsepower. If you're driving like a hypermiler, you probably don't notice much and it would save you money. Most of us don't drive that way. I've never put anything but premium fuel in any turbo I've owned.

Geoff

What you don't spend on fuel you'll spend on oil. Have to put a few quarts in most Subarus between oil changes. My GFs burns 2-3 quarts between changes. Going straight on the highway for a few hours will burn about a quart as well. Damn piston rings.

Subaru claims they've fixed that problem. I've been watching the Subaru Outback forum closely and the 5th generation 2015 Outback doesn't seem to have the issue. The big gripe is wind noise from the little fixed windows in the driver and passenger doors. Another reason why you don't ever buy the first model year of anything.

Tin

My favorite thing about the Subaru is how easy it is to work on but some things are just too simple and that is why they have issues.

hammer

Just put new valves in my (11) Subi. There was nothing wrong with the old valves (74,000 miles). Busted timing belt is what caused the valves to burn out.
What's the schedule for replacing a timing belt on a Subaru? My Toyota Highlander was 90K miles and my Volvo is 105K miles I believe. A bit surprising that the belt would break at 74K.

Interested to know, my son has an 2009 Impreza with around 63K or so.

skiNEwhere

gas &lt; $2/gal, rev 1.0

My favorite thing about the Subaru is how easy it is to work on but some things are just too simple and that is why they have issues.

+1. Oil changes are very easy with the oil filter being right in front of you under the hood.

Downside though is that underneath the car, the tranny fluid is right next to the oil pan. If you're not paying attention you could accidentally drain out your transmission fluid, I almost did that my first oil change

steamboat1

What's the schedule for replacing a timing belt on a Subaru? My Toyota Highlander was 90K miles and my Volvo is 105K miles I believe. A bit surprising that the belt would break at 74K.

Interested to know, my son has an 2009 Impreza with around 63K or so.
Subaru recommends 105,000 for changing timing belt. Just had the timing belt changed 3 weeks ago while changing all other belts & hoses trying to do preventive maintenance. Guy talked me into doing the timing belt at the same time. Needless to say he F'd up the job. Picking up the car in VT. tomorrow morning. Just hope all is well.

steamboat1

Premium doesn't have "additional additives". The extra cost at the refinery to make the small amount of premium gasoline is minimal. It's blended with 10% ethanol which is 115 octane so the gasoline part only needs to be 88 octane to produce 91 octane my VW GTI requires. Most of the price spread is the much lower demand for 91-93 octane fuel compared to 87 octane fuel. The gas station buys it and it sits in a huge tank in the ground mostly not being used while their 87 octane storage tank gets sucked dry. Demand for premium gasoline has been dropping steadily for the last 20 years. Everybody now knows that if your car doesn't require it, it's stupid to waste money on more expensive fuel. Those of us with turbos and high compression normally aspirated performance engines just don't buy enough fuel because there simply aren't many of us.

In my travels, I can often find a high volume gas station where the spread is closer to 20 cents than 40+ cents I typically see at the lowest volume stations.

Here are the top 10 cars sold in the US in 2014. I'm not aware that any of them require premium fuel:
Ford F-Series pickup
Chevy Silverado pickup
Dodge Ram pickup
Toyota Camry
Honda Accord
Toyota Corolla
Nissan Altima
Honda CR-V
Honda Civic
Ford Fusion

It's kind of ironic that virtually any car I like requires premium fuel. I really want my next car to run regular gas because of the growing price spread in fuel cost. That's pushing me towards a Subaru Outback and I really should buy the 4 cylinder model to get the 33 mpg highway instead of the 6 cylinder 250-ish hp engine that gets maybe 28 on the highway with a very light foot. I'm finding it really hard to get excited about buying such an appliance.
Geoff I'm sure you are aware there are two gas stations near K that sell premium gas with no ehtanol added. Ones in Rutland near the hospital (forget the name). The other is White's near Mt. Tabor on rt.7. Price is about the same as stations selling premium with 10% ethanol added.

hammer

Subaru recommends 105,000 for changing timing belt. Just had the timing belt changed 3 weeks ago while changing all other belts & hoses trying to do preventive maintenance. Guy talked me into doing the timing belt at the same time. Needless to say he F'd up the job. Picking up the car in VT. tomorrow morning. Just hope all is well.
Sorry about that...you think you are doing the right thing and then stuff happens.