• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/26 Manitoba Mauler

mccleaks

Anyone heard any news on mountain operations tomorrow? I'm strongly considering heading to Southern NH tonight to ski tomorrow. Trying to decide who is most likely to be able to run all their lifts and still be in the heavier snow bands. My thoughts have been anywhere from Ragged, to Gunstock, to Loon, to anywhere in between.

Tin

Just one mets opinion, so take with grain of salt, but Lee Goldberg of ABC New York said this storm is even STRONGER than modeled, and he thus expects the snow bands to kick back further west than expected.

Good news for Poconos and Catskills and pretty much everyone if true.

Hope this is correct. Southern New England mets are down playing this imo, at 3+" of liquid in SE Mass and RI that is over 30", never mind the possibly 15:1 ratio. 40"+ at Blue Hill is a real possibility.

Last edited:

Tin

nam_total_precip_ma_12_zps0b6a110a.png

Figure out where you are and multiply by oh let's say 13....to be conservative.

ChicoKat

Fox News showing the different models with the Euro showing a northern migration of the jackpot area since earlier reports. Looks to have shifted running from SW CT north east now into Southern NH. Growing and moving North.

Bene288

The travel ban is going to really screw up everything. Is there any option for tomorrow coming from the Boston area?

flightschool

Travel ban isn't a big deal...just get out before 10pm and you will cross the MA/NH/VT border by 12am easily. I'm waiting on a wind forecast - if the gusts are under 25 mph I may consider leaving tonight.

Tin

The snow is very light, so the snow:liquid ratio may run as high as 14:1

Seeing some forums discussing > 15:1. There will be a time where the Boston/PVD area might touch or get above 30* so there will be some dense stuff mixed in.