• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/26 Manitoba Mauler

drjeff

We've reached the part of the storm where every professional meteorologist is sticking with "their call" and telling people it will verify, even though those numerous meteorologist's calls are often completely different from one another. They remind me of Wall Street analysts that way.

At least the pro mets who I follow closest in CT was honest with his 18-30" call for the state saying that they were pretty confident of the 18" statewide but had no clue where the likely more intense banding will occur and pile up another potential foot!

Then again he also said that will drifting it will seem more like 0" to 6+ feet!!

catsup948

They have no clue. I think the Berkshires get crushed with deformation banding, heavy heavy flow directly into elevated terrain. Savoy Mass often gets smoked in these events. See Boxing Day 2010.

Last edited:

dlague

Ugh.....was hoping to go there too tomorrow night. I guess I will instead head to Pats and hope they don't close.

Just call them in the AM - that is what I plan on doing! If they do open then $16 for a powder night is awesome.

Quietman

From Crotched's site:

Updated 1-26-15 7:30 pm:

We are all excited for this snow storm and are planning to be open on Tuesday from 9am to 9pm. The Rocket lift will be the only lift in operation and expect little to no grooming throughout the day tomorrow. That being said, skiing conditions will be for advanced skiers/riders only. Check back here before venturing out tomorrow morning for any further updates or changes to operational plans.

BenedictGomez

Seems more than a few mets are calling this a bust (in terms of predictions) for western NJ and PA, which aligns perfectly with the "Law of Pocono Screwage".

Rowsdower

Seems more than a few mets are calling this a bust (in terms of predictions) for western NJ and PA, which aligns perfectly with the "Law of Pocono Screwage".

Yup. Already stopped snowing. We might get a few more inches out of the back end but that looks like about it for us. Northern New Jersey will probably clock in around 4-8 inches and the Poconos might pick up 3-6 if they're lucky.

Whatever. Work was already canceled and it means I'll have an easier drive to the mountain tomorrow. Gotta find a bright side, right?

BenedictGomez

Yup. Already stopped snowing. We might get a few more inches out of the back end but that looks like about it for us. Northern New Jersey will probably clock in around 4-8 inches and the Poconos might pick up 3-6 if they're lucky.

Whatever. Work was already canceled and it means I'll have an easier drive to the mountain tomorrow. Gotta find a bright side, right?

There's still a chance. The storm's moving slower than anticipated, so it's possible everything is just delayed, but if it doesnt start snowing by midnight I fear it's game, set, match for Pocono/west NJ. Stuff is finally making it onto NJ, much later than anticipated.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=OKX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

BenedictGomez

Whoever handles e.PA and w.NJ at Mount Holly NWS has ballz of steel.

They just issued this, which is basically the same totals, only shifted maybe 10 or 12 miles east.

10940440_10155238250000122_5801590647355423603_n.png

Rowsdower

Meh, I can live with this. It means I won't have to dig out as much tomorrow and I'll have an easy drive to enjoy my six inches of dust on crust in sub-zero windchill conditions.

Wavewheeler

Meh, I can live with this. It means I won't have to dig out as much tomorrow and I'll have an easy drive to enjoy my six inches of dust on crust in sub-zero windchill conditions.

I'm with you! I don't want 2 feet of snow in my backyard. The sooner I can get out, the sooner I can get skiing and it looks like the Cats are going to make out all right on this one. Will have to see how driving is as to whether I head up Wednesday or Thursday. Have a reservation up there for Wed and Thursday nights. Supposed to get some additional snow up there on Thursday and Friday so even if they only see 6-10" tonight there will be more on the way.

I'm just glad it's cold, the snow is fluffy and it doesn't look like we're getting a January thaw. Good trend going into February. :snow: