• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee Friday Jan 23, 2015

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Date(s) Skied: Friday, January 23, 2015

Resort or Ski Area: Sunapee

Conditions: Loose Granular, You want corduroy? We got corduroy!

Trip Report: I purchased our passes over a month ago from Liftopia for myself and a friend visiting from CT. With no postponement options we were locked in on the date. Amazingly our timing was pretty good considering.I have to say Sunapee lived up to the hype. After our abysmal thaw freeze last weekend I was hopeful that all that I had heard about Sunapee’s grooming was true. What we found was a uniform surface of corduroy everywhere - every open slope. This I found remarkable.

It was a beautiful day. We started with breakfast at the Blackwater Junction Restaurant. Nice place, nothing fancy, friendly waitresses. From there we proceeded to the mountain. We were a little surprised by the number of people that were pulling in at 9AM. “So the saying is true”, my friend says, “Friday is the new Saturday”. It wasn’t all too crowded but at times you really had to watch what was going on as conditions were fast and many of the skiers were beginner/intermediates. Watch the Emergency Stop vid. So with the almost but not quite hero snow it was easy to ski all day, right to 4 o’clock.

The only difficulty we had skiing was getting from the summits pods serviced by the “new to Sunapee” Sunbowl HSQ and Sunapee Express Quad to get back to the North Peak Triple. All trails leading to the base area funnel skiers to the skiers left of the Sunapee Express. With no one hanging around the loading area it’s really not too bad otherwise you have to wade through a crowd. I really don’t see why there can’t be some connecter to the North Peak pod higher up on the hill except that the Lynx trail was walled off with crash netting for race training. This to my mind is short sighted and a PITB.

Anyways, afterward we met the wives at the Flying Goose which in my lowly opinion makes the best pale ale in the world. It was a good day start to finish.

The moguls were too much for my achy knees with scraped out troughs and frozen tops.

Seeded Moguls too by Bob Misu, on Flickr

Lake Sunapee

P1234443 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

Last edited:

jack97

I was lapping that course on wed, it was fast and slick. A patroller placed warning sticks near the lift tower in the pic b/c they thought someone was launch themselves and may hit the chair coming up.... I was thinking that would be a cool stunt if they can jump and onto a chair. It means that they piled up a good base underneath, those moguls will last a while.

And you can't beat a 50% off on weekday tix

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I think my Vimeo account has been hacked. Maybe it was this thread was hacked. Something's been hacked!!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Last edited:

jack97

Nice TR and pics. How is that new HSQ?

I never timed the ride up myself but I definitely notice I got more runs in. One thing they did was place the control shack at skiers right both top and bottom.

I use to ski that lift all day on the w/e and the slow lift made the lines short. Not sure if this will happen with the HSQ.