• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Psst 1/28 Platekill Open Wed, Thu, Fri for $20

catskills

Psst don't tell anyone but Plattekill will be open this Wed, Thu, Fri after the storm for $20 discount. Nobody will know Plattekill is open midweek (usually only open Fri, Sat, Sun) SWEET :grin:

If you want fresh untracked powder this is the place to go. Do NOT tell your friends. Okay maybe tell just one friend.

KustyTheKlown

i'm going to plattekill for the first time on wednesday. i kind of swore of skiing anywhere south of gore/magic in ny/vt respectively a few years ago, but i keep reading and hearing such good things about plattekill and this week seems to be the time to do it. i'm pretty excited. what's the story with tree skiing there? i see all of this boundary to boundary talk, but notice no marked glades on the map. is pretty much every set of trees skiable?

twinplanx

Plattekill has downhill mountain biking in the non winter months. All of those trails double as ski glades :)

catskills

You better leave NY City before 11pm tonight. Otherwise you will be arrested.

abc

Plattekill has downhill mountain biking in the non winter months. All of those trails double as ski glades :)
I'm not as skill a skier as most of you. I found the mountain biking trails pretty hard to ski. Most of them just goes straight down with not enough room to turn or slow down.

Though with 2 feet of wet snow, one might not need to turn at all...

Wavewheeler

Here's some pics of Platty after the big storm last year in February (Valentine's Day).
Definitely worth checking out..

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 68
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 68

Wavewheeler

Couldn't resist a few more!

Attachments

• 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 70

catskills

I don't believe Plattekill got anywhere near 12 inches of snow. :-(

Belleayre down the road from Plattekill is reporting 3 inches of new snow. Hunter a little further away is reporting 4 to 5 inches. Plattekill probably got more snow than Belleayre.

JimG.

Staff member
I think a foot was wishful thinking all along. The most I saw, and I watch that area quite closely, was ~7". max. Which would still be nice. Let's keep fingers crossed.

Site calling for 5-8 which will be nice on top of what was there Sun. The mass hysteria and travel restrictions are annoying.

Wavewheeler

Site calling for 5-8 which will be nice on top of what was there Sun. The mass hysteria and travel restrictions are annoying.

I'm with you..We got about a foot here on the Jersey Shore, which is easily handled. I'll be able to easily drove up to Hunter and enjoy the 4-6" of fresh. More is expected to come in the time I'll be up there so win-win.

The pics I posted of Platty were taken the day after a foot fell and it snowed on and off all day. Most of the trails were ungroomed and no crowds on a Friday. Definitely worth checking out for $20.

millerm277

Enjoy the hill who ever makes it up.

Was out today. Main runs were all good and well covered (except Freefall which was closed, although skiable), the little runs off the Northface were open and skiable. Basically no one there all day. Would have been good at normal price, at $20 it was fantastic.

Posted a TR with slightly more information.