Fat tire snow bikes - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've hear that some XC ski areas rent fat bikes for use on their trails, especially when snow conditions are poor - meaning that there is just enough snow to be slippery but not enough to set tracks or groom for skating. I would also imagine that they would want to keep separate trails just for bikes and snow shoes use. Trails that have been set for skiing, classic and skate, would probably get chewed up by the tires.
    The fat biking has a somewhat limited appeal to me, may be as another way to piss off slednecks
    Live for today

We rented some fat tire bikes in Telluride last week. Rode a nice trail along a small river for about 8 miles and it was a lot of fun. Yes the trail was packed. It paralleled and intersected a groomed xc track and bikes were not allowed on that. At one point we went on a narrow strip of packed trail that was fine until you stopped and then it was next to impossible to get going without falling into 3 feet of loose powder. Which was also crazy because it has not snowed much at all there since December when they got a ton which is still sticking around.

Fat tire bikes are fun and felt a lot more stable in a slippery environment , to me, than a 2" tire with studs. My girlfriend , however, did fall on some ice. We had a variety of conditions from ice, to hardpack, to groomed ski run, to slush and a bit of mud and the fat tires handled it all. I am not going to buy one, but will rent them again for sure. Thinking of going to the fat tire bike fest Sugarloaf is having near the beginning of April.
    form is a 4 letter word

Those look stupid.
    "For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
    Those look stupid.
    True, but they come in super handy when the town forgets to shovel the bike path.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    True, but they come in super handy when the town forgets to shovel the bike path.
    So does your car.
    "For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
    So does your car.
    I got a 4 point ticket and a lot of angry looks the last time I drove my car on the bike path.

I kind of want one

When the snow gets crusty and consolidated its perfect for biking and not for skiing

When a fresh layer of deep powder comes its perfect for skiing and not for fat biking

Thread Information