• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail giving out speeding tickets to skiers

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/01/vail-resorts-is-giving-out-speeding-tickets-to-skiers

Anyone ever gotten one of these? I wonder if it's a photoshop thing or if this is serious.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 409

dlague

snoseek

Old news. They set up in an obvious slow zone and try to keep it sane. If you're going too fast you get a warning. If you're a dick about it its written and on record. Its really not a big deal unless you like to zoom in crowds of people on novice groomers. We don't have any of this at kirkwood

skifree

Buddy of mine had to go to a council meeting at Stowe for speeding. He was skiing way out of control .
Got his pass back though

millerm277

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/01/vail-resorts-is-giving-out-speeding-tickets-to-skiers

Anyone ever gotten one of these? I wonder if it's a photoshop thing or if this is serious.

Seems just like formalizing/improving the usual ski area policy of pulling passes if you're doing something extremely out of line and giving them some better directions on what to do now that they've been an idiot rather than "Go to the patrol base and get yelled at".

I was just out at Steamboat (not part of Vail resorts), in the major slow zones there was patrol positioned there most of the day and they would go after people skiing out of control or doing other reckless things in the area. Only saw it happen a few times, and all were well-deserved, not to people flying along when it was empty.

ski220

Trolling here.

This is the oldest news going. The original radar guns were developed by a company out in Avon in the early 70's.
They tested them out on the slopes of Vail and out their back door on I70. I remember seeing them out on the slopes.
Ski patrols have always busted people for speeding/ reckless behavior.

Of course most of you weren't even born yet.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I know they have busted people for speeding but I've never seen a legit "ticket" issued that required a "safety awareness class". usually they would just pull a pass and you'd be on your way.

skiMEbike

A "safety" meeting....Now that sounds like something I may be interested in. How do we sign up ?

skiNEwhere

Seeing as they are not the police, what would happen if they tried to "pull over" a skier and they just told them to go f themselves and walked to their car

MadMadWorld

Seeing as they are not the police, what would happen if they tried to "pull over" a skier and they just told them to go f themselves and walked to their car

Well in my professional opinion...these guys have no legal right to hand out a real ticket or fine. If the skier decides to ski away there is absolutely nothing they can do. If they manage to identify the person by name then they can let the individual know that if they decide to return they can be arrested (by a law enforcement agency of course) for trespassing. They basically have the same rights as a mall security guard...probably less.

jrmagic

I know they have busted people for speeding but I've never seen a legit "ticket" issued that required a "safety awareness class". usually they would just pull a pass and you'd be on your way.

Back in the 90s my friend got one at the Loaf. I wasn't with him at the time so sont know how much it was deserved but I did see the ticket. He had to go sit for the safety class the following morning