• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

breaking news, ski areas closed for, wait for it....snow

tmcc71

Yeah, I get it, nanny state travel ban, Wachusett closed on a 3 foot powder day. Even a 6 pm opening would have been fine. Now i suppose they are grooming everything in preparation of the hordes of people coming tomorrow, Man does Massachusetts suck! Coming up next, governor baker closes the beaches due to too much heat and sun.

Hawkshot99

Jiminy opened today, yet Bousquet and Butternut did not.

Talked to 2 cops near Pittsfield MA this morning. They didn't care we were driving, just told us if we crashed our vehicle they would have to give a ticket for being on the roads during the state wide ban. $800 ticket!!!! :0

canobie#1

Yawgoo Valley is closed today but opening tomorrow. RI highways were "shutdown" to the public. Nothing was open at all today. But they did get 2 feet of snow!

AdironRider

Jiminy opened today, yet Bousquet and Butternut did not.

Talked to 2 cops near Pittsfield MA this morning. They didn't care we were driving, just told us if we crashed our vehicle they would have to give a ticket for being on the roads during the state wide ban. $800 ticket!!!! :0

Good. This recent development of travel bans during weather events is just pure BS.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You can blame our neighbors in less snowy climates for this. When I lived in Athens, OH ten years ago, they'd ban travel when 6 inches was expected.

I think there needs to be a compromise. 11PM until 5PM seems reasonable in densely populated areas or on Interstates during big storms like this. It really should be up to the towns though, not a governor. Kind of like how parking bans are handled.

ironhippy

I don't mind the travel bans, depending on how they are enforced.

Taking people to jail like NYC threatened to do is just plain silly, but saying "all non essential personal should be off the roads" and then fining anyone who gets themselves into trouble that requires an emergency response seems like a reasonable approach.

Up here roads are rarely shut down and when they are, all that means is they aren't being plowed or patrolled, you're on your own if you decide to travel that way.

drjeff

Let's be honest - 90%+ of East Coast skiers and probably 87% of West Coast skiers have no clue how to ski and end up hating 2 feet of powder! They're much happier after that snow has been through the tiller of a snowcat and becomes soft pack corduroy (at least for the 1st 3hrs until it becomes an ugly mogul field to the masses!! :rolleyes:

MadMadWorld

Got pulled over this AM on my way in. Had to show an ID before they let me go....local PD. I had heard of multiple people receiving tickets though

skiNEwhere

Yawgoo Valley is closed today but opening tomorrow. RI highways were "shutdown" to the public. Nothing was open at all today. But they did get 2 feet of snow!

Tin, are you gonna post a POV of yourself slaying some Yawgoo pow? :snow:

VTKilarney

Let's be honest - 90%+ of East Coast skiers and probably 87% of West Coast skiers have no clue how to ski and end up hating 2 feet of powder! They're much happier after that snow has been through the tiller of a snowcat and becomes soft pack corduroy (at least for the 1st 3hrs until it becomes an ugly mogul field to the masses!! :rolleyes:

Not being able to ski 2 feet of powder equates to having "no clue how to ski"? Seems rather harsh.

VTKilarney

Harsh and True aren't mutually exclusive concepts.
The prior statement was elitist drivel, plain and simple. Lots of fantastic skiers just don't have the opportunity to get out there on the .01% of days with two feet of powder.

It's kind of like saying that somebody has no clue how to ski if they can't do a Skodeo in the terrain park.

Last edited:

SkiFanE

Well don't steal a car during travel ban - some idiots did and were pulled over on 495. Lol. My work badge keeps me out of trouble, but how'd I explain going North and away from my hospital ?! Lol. I traveled during the last travel ban (Nemo) and noone bothered me.

I do think they are a good idea, but threats are stupid - just banning it keeps 95% of the people home, the other 5% are skiers :)

drjeff

Not being able to ski 2 feet of powder equates to having "no clue how to ski"? Seems rather harsh.

Now that I've had some rest after hours of snowblowing yesterday, let me clarify my statement a touch - 90%+ of East Coasters and 87%+ of West Coasters have no clue how to ski 2 FEET OF POWDER!!

If we're talking skiing ability in general, then those numbers go down to say 2/3rds or so ;) :lol:

deadheadskier

Staff member
The prior statement was elitist drivel, plain and simple.

Your sarcasm detector needs adjustment. Dr. Jeff is anything but "elitist." Maybe he erred by using the rolleyes smilie instead of the wink.

His comment was more discussing the reality that most EC mountains rush to groom out the powder as fast as possible because that's what the customer base wants.

drjeff

Well don't steal a car during travel ban - some idiots did and were pulled over on 495. Lol. My work badge keeps me out of trouble, but how'd I explain going North and away from my hospital ?! Lol. I traveled during the last travel ban (Nemo) and noone bothered me.

I do think they are a good idea, but threats are stupid - just banning it keeps 95% of the people home, the other 5% are skiers :)

I laughed when I read the story about the 1 ARREST they made in RI during the travel ban yesterday! Although I think the fact he was clocked going 85mph on I-95 just South of Providence might of had more to do with the actual arrest than just driving on I-95 during the ban! ;) :lol: