• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's Game On at Sundown!

Abominable

Is just a little bit shallow for such heavy snow. if it was only a little bit steeper you could really carry speed through some of the spots. Absolutely fantastic pruning job though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

rocks860

How have I never found these spots at sundown. I can't even conceptualize where they would be

Abominable

By shallow I mean not Steep- is plenty deep.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

djdj

Is sundown planning on doing the water at the end of one of the trail this year

Domeskier

march 29th last day?

I bet they could make to at least April 5th this year with the snowpack I saw this weekend. I guess it's an economic thing. Would love to get a rematch with Satan's Staircase this season. I was totally slayed by the upper half. Couldn't find a decent line to save my soul. Wasn't a big fan of the bumps on the lower half either - the seeding was either haphazard or it got destroyed during the skiing in phase. I'm really interested in seeing the lines people will be skiing in the comp. Maybe the snow will be soft enough by then for people to bash through the road blocks.

gmcunni

I bet they could make to at least April 5th this year with the snowpack I saw this weekend. I guess it's an economic thing. Would love to get a rematch with Satan's Staircase this season. I was totally slayed by the upper half. Couldn't find a decent line to save my soul. Wasn't a big fan of the bumps on the lower half either - the seeding was either haphazard or it got destroyed during the skiing in phase. I'm really interested in seeing the lines people will be skiing in the comp. Maybe the snow will be soft enough by then for people to bash through the road blocks.

did you hit the snowbar while there?

Will the company be on the stairway or gunny?
stairway is what i heard (read).

gmcunni

Special Events
Join us for a season full of awesome events, competitions, and equipment demos!

MOGULS, MONEY & MALARKEY BUMP COMP! SPONSORED BY SUBURBAN SPORTS
Start Date/Time: Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:00 PM End Date/Time: Saturday, March 21, 2015 4:00 PM Description:
$3,000 IN CASH PRIZES AND MERCHANDISE!

Sponsored by Suburban Sports - SuburbanSkiAndBike.com​

See if your quads can handle our new trail, Satan's Stairway, the steepest bump run in Southern New England!! Also featuring the Ski Sundown SNOW BAR, Thomas Hooker Brewery​ Brew Van, and Live Music by Charlie Don't Surf​.

Details:

Registration - 9:00am- Noon (Competition begins at 1:00 PM)

Cost - $25, includes free event T-shirt while supplies last
Helmet & waiver required. All competitors will also be entered into a drawing for additional fabulous prizes!

1:00 PM- MOGUL COMPETITION ON SATAN'S STAIRWAY - Ski Sundown's new expert mogul trail.

Categories: U-18; Male 18+;Female 18+; Consolation

PRIZES

Men's 1st place $1,000

Women's 1st Place $1,000

Under 18 1st Place TBA

Consolation Round 1st Place TBA

Men's 2nd place $500

Women's 2nd place $500

Under 18 2nd Place TBA

Men's 3rd Place TBA

Women's 3nd Place TBA

Under 18 3rd Place TBA

Judging – Judges will score on Air, Style and Speed on a scale of 1-10. Total = score to be used in determining position for seeding.

Format – All competitors will participate in a qualifying round in order to place the top 32 into a head to head bracketing system. (NCAA) if there are not enough skiers to create 32 in a category, 16 will advance. If not, then 8.. and so on.

Savemeasammy

No, but almost did when I was taken out by the very last row of bumps on my first run down the stairway and just about slid head-first into it.

Please post up the go-pro footage. That sounds entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domeskier

Please post up the go-pro footage. That sounds entertaining.

Haven't gone pro yet, unfortunately. Maybe once I can tame the stairway I'll reconsider. Would have made for some good reviewing, though. My helmet even flew off because I forget to strap it on. Really, I'm lucky to be alive, I think.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
Jarrodski you guys plan on bumping up gun barrel this year?

Not this year.... the mogul specific crowd has not been out en masse

the Stairway has only gotten better by the day. Yes, the lines are mischievous, yes, i like it that way.

Gunny bumps wouldn't be out of the question if business demanded it. but to be perfectly honest with you guys, we don't see so many mogul skiers that we need two trails of bumps right now. there's only 4 expert trails at the mountain. a park, and bumps eat two.... so, yea...

can someone explain to me the fascination with seeded "course" style mogul trails? I've never understood why a perfect zipper-line run top to bottom would be attractive.... I've long preferred un groomed variable terrain / skier made moguls which is exactly what we have right now on the Staircase.

see you out there. It's 1pm and its soft.

powhunter

Disagree with you on that bro. The mogul specific skiers at sundown do prefer zipperline bumps

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
Disagree with you on that bro. The mogul specific skiers at sundown do prefer zipperline bumps

not what i was getting at... i'm saying there's not a lot of you guys.... and i am asking you to explain the zipper specific trail to me

obviously im just trying to get a dialog started and am in no way shit talking...

Domeskier

not what i was getting at... i'm saying there's not a lot of you guys.... and i am asking you to explain the zipper specific trail to me

obviously im just trying to get a dialog started and am in no way shit talking...

Not really sure. Probably similar to the reason park rats prefer launching a 720 off a 15 foot kicker on a flawlessly groomed trail rather than some random mogul on the staircase. I think zipperline moguls skiers probably enjoy the speed and rhythm you can't achieve if you are always having to adjust your line in some haphazard maze of snow piles. Similarly, I imagine park rates enjoy going big in ways you can't if you have to worry about landing in the middle of an icy bump field.