• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

APEX ski boots

Edd

Read about this sometime ago on Epic. Very interesting but it's hard to not be skeptical.

gmcunni

at first glance seems like a gimmick but seems like the "inventor" has some history with developing new ski equipment.

IrekJanek

In my experience, boots that were comfortable to wear got me riding on my ass a lot, and the stiff ones kept me up. Maybe it is just me.

But to give them a benefit of a doubt. Does anybody know if they are available for daily rentals anywhere?

Edd

in the news today.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102394678#.

seems really focused on comfort, is that a good thing?

Probably not to AZ types but I'd think there's a market for it with one week a year groomer devotees.

I've been looking at this and the Dodge carbon in the last few days with interest. Of the two, the Apex is certainly the more radical design. If I were forced to buy one of these boots today, I'd play it safe with the Dodge for the sake of performance.

drjeff

Skeptical!! All that dude was skiing on was soft pack/soft snow conditions (I.e. "hero snow") where even many a terminal intermediate often feels like they're world cup material :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that this boot wouldn't work too well for most East Coast skiers looking for decent performance the majority of the time....

legalskier

Friend of mine loves them, but he's in his late 60s and doesn't do much more than ski groomers. He's an advanced skier, but one dimensional. He says they're very comfortable and warm and likes to walk around in the lodge in the inner boot. I also met a woman last year who had them, but she was in her 60s and, being from Virginia, didn't get out much. She also loved them.
Other people feel that what they add in comfort, they may lose in performance. As for me, I'd like to demo them for for the fun of it, even if they are beyond my pay grade.
Here's an epicski thread about them: http://www.epicski.com/t/102828/apex-ski-boot

IrekJanek

Friend of mine loves them, but he's in his late 60s and doesn't do much more than ski groomers. He's an advanced skier, but one dimensional. He says they're very comfortable and warm and likes to walk around in the lodge in the inner boot. I also met a woman last year who had them, but she was in her 60s and, being from Virginia, didn't get out much. She also loved them.
Other people feel that what they add in comfort, they may lose in performance. As for me, I'd like to demo them for for the fun of it, even if they are beyond my pay grade.
Here's an epicski thread about them: http://www.epicski.com/t/102828/apex-ski-boot

Agreed, I would love to take them for a demo on an easy family runs where performance is not the most critical factor. If you find a place where they demo them, please let us know.

gmcunni

Agreed, I would love to take them for a demo on an easy family runs where performance is not the most critical factor. If you find a place where they demo them, please let us know.

well, according to Facebook we just missed a demo day, in NY State (south of buffalo)

Have you been wanting to demo Apex Ski Boots for a while now?! Here is your chance! We are hosting a demo with Dekdebrun Ski Shop & Curley's Snowboard Emporium at HoliMont tomorrow, Friday the 6th. Hope to see you there!

IrekJanek

not exactly the meca of east coast skiing, why they'd go there is beyond me.

I've never heard of the place and had to Google to even get an idea where it is. They started in 2006 and supposedly had their boots on the market for 5 years now. The reason we are hearing now about those boots is that they started a new marketing campaign to expand the recognition. But if they are gonna do demos on "I Have Never Heard" mountains they will never got to their goal of 5% market share.

mishka

what is the benefit of those boots? except exclusivity and novelty I didn't any. For the price one can buy 2 pair of boots from bootfitter and make them fitted properly and comfortable

Hawkshot99

Walkabilty, which would lead to much greater comfort than you can achieve in typical boots, no matter how well they're fitted.

Ever go and put on a pair of high end properly fitted snowboard boots? They are stiff(maybe not as stiff as a ski boot). They are not fitting you like a slipper. I have tried many, and will take my nicely fitted ski boots an day over any snowboard boot I have ever tried on.

mishka

Walkabilty, which would lead to much greater comfort than you can achieve in typical boots, no matter how well they're fitted.

will have to disagree. Another day I walked a mile in my racing boots. Didn't find it that much different from regular boots.
If comfort of walkabilty above performance that's important I would rather go with AT set up or Tele

ski boots at list price outrageously expensive but double the price.... it definitely not materials.

Edd

I doubt any of you ski nerds are the target customer. I'm speculating, but it appears intended for folks that ski mellow and not often, plus with money.

And comfort and convenience would be pretty major for that group. A lot of folks consider ski boots to be a pain in the balls.