• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 1/28

reppshred

Hit up Cannon day after the blizzard. They reported 10-12 inches in last 24 hrs which I feel was pretty accurate. Due to crappy roads we didn't roll in until 9:30 so we missed first chair but headed quickly to Mittersil. I believe it was the first time it opened this year and it was solid for the first 2-3 runs until it started getting scratchy. Then we went over to the front 5 which was wind loaded and pretty fun. The tram wasn't running so we took a few laps over to the trees directly above the Tram to skier's right of front five--the name escapes me. They were untouched and a ton of fun. Probably because it required a 5 minute hike out at the end but totally worth it. Finished up the day with a few summit laps that weren't bad as we hoped into a few hidden tree runs. They definitely have a pretty iffy base throughout Cannon. It was clear that they needed this snow big time. I don't know how people have been skiing it the last few weeks. While the snow was awesome in that it was blower, this meant that it skied off VERY easily on steeper terrain. By 3PM I felt the whole mountain was scratchy. I would hesitate going there until they get more snow (probably Thurs/Friday).

dlague

I was there too but my impressions of the conditions at the end of the day are different. Skied to last chair and found plenty to have fun with. We're there scraped off spots - yes but nothing compared to the ice fest right after christmas. Only had one icy day at Cannon so far. Mittersill was nice be for Christmas.

deadheadskier

Staff member
D, was that the day I met you while skiing with Puck It? Was my only day there on the worst day of the season :lol:

Puck it

Mittersill was open before Xmas and it was better than today. The base is very icy but that is anywhere in NH and some VT. It was a pretty good day overall. The narrower trails at Mitty were the best due the winds.