• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NW Connecticut beginner/intermediate mountain?

abc

Need some real world information about the small hills in NW Connecticut.

I have a friend and her family that wants to do their 2-3 times a year skiing. They're green/blue skiers.

I've never skied in Connecticut. I know it's no big mountain skiing but mostly smaller places catering more to families. Right now, all the mountains in that areas should all gotten some new snow and hopefully fully open.

I would like to pick one that's less crowded than the rest. I'm hoping that would bring more positive experience?

I'm aware of the existence of: Catamont (actually in NY), Southington, Ski Butternut. Which will likely be less crowded than others? Other mountains in the area I don't know about?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skied Powder Ridge last night. VERY mellow place. I'm no CT expert. That was my first time skiing in the state. I get the impression it's the least known/crowded in the state; probably due to recently coming back from the dead and lacking much modern snowmaking equipment.

I can assure you they have plenty of snow right now.

rocks860

Need some real world information about the small hills in NW Connecticut.

I have a friend and her family that wants to do their 2-3 times a year skiing. They're green/blue skiers.

I've never skied in Connecticut. I know it's no big mountain skiing but mostly smaller places catering more to families. Right now, all the mountains in that areas should all gotten some new snow and hopefully fully open.

I would like to pick one that's less crowded than the rest. I'm hoping that would bring more positive experience?

I'm aware of the existence of: Catamont (actually in NY), Southington, Ski Butternut. Which will likely be less crowded than others? Other mountains in the area I don't know about?

Butternut is actually in Massachusetts. Mohawk and ski sundown are in northwest ct. Mount southington is more mid to southern ct. Sundown is definitely a beginner to intermediate mountain but may be more crowded than some place like Mohawk. If they are looking to take lessons sundown is pretty good for that though.

crank

Mohawk is the best for you. Butternut will be the most crowded. Powder ridge is flatter than a pancake....good for beginners. So down is similar in size and just a bit steeper than Mohawk...it is farther east as well. I have never been to south intron or Woodbury but have heard they are tiny...probably ok for beginners. I also like catamount.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Mohawk is a lot less crowded than Sundown. You'll ski the whole mountain quickly, especially if you're skiing just blues and greens. If you've skied all the blue trails, Timber would be navigable for any intermediate. Really cheap midweek tickets. Nice people all around. Never any crowds. Best grooming and snowmaking in CT.

gmcunni

re: crowds... problem with CT skiing can be the lodge. i've noticed at Sundown and Mohawk a large number of non-skiing people crowding the lodge. doesn't affect the skiing but if you are a green/blue skiing family you will likely want to come in for breaks and snacks, expect more traffic inside than out. try to plan to ski during lunch and break later.

agree with comments above - mohawk a nice place, more laid back than Sundown which is also a nice place. for green/blue mohawk might feel bigger due to layout. Sundown's Tom's Treat i think wins for easier way down from top but they put terrain features (Jumps/rails) so that trail does get crowded with thrill seekers.

the "beginner" pod at mohawk is bigger than Sundown.

doubt you want it based on the description of a green/blue skiing family but Sundown will offer more "excitement" with terrain park features, mogul skiing and CT's only double black diamond trail.

ScottySkis

Catamount is good blue terrain nice family place cheap tickets through potterbrothers also it actually half in NY half in ma.

bvibert

Staff member
re: crowds... problem with CT skiing can be the lodge. i've noticed at Sundown and Mohawk a large number of non-skiing people crowding the lodge. doesn't affect the skiing but if you are a green/blue skiing family you will likely want to come in for breaks and snacks, expect more traffic inside than out. try to plan to ski during lunch and break later.

agree with comments above - mohawk a nice place, more laid back than Sundown which is also a nice place. for green/blue mohawk might feel bigger due to layout. Sundown's Tom's Treat i think wins for easier way down from top but they put terrain features (Jumps/rails) so that trail does get crowded with thrill seekers.

the "beginner" pod at mohawk is bigger than Sundown.

doubt you want it based on the description of a green/blue skiing family but Sundown will offer more "excitement" with terrain park features, mogul skiing and CT's only double black diamond trail.

Good run down. One point - I haven't been down Tom's Treat in a few weeks, but I think they've been scaling back on the terrain features this year.

rocks860

Good run down. One point - I haven't been down Tom's Treat in a few weeks, but I think they've been scaling back on the terrain features this year.

They had 2 rails and a jump last Saturday

Edit: a jump that it was very difficult to get enough speed to clear to the landing

Skied Powder Ridge last night. VERY mellow place. I'm no CT expert. That was my first time skiing in the state. I get the impression it's the least known/crowded in the state; probably due to recently coming back from the dead and lacking much modern snowmaking equipment.

I can assure you they have plenty of snow right now.
Wait ... That was your first time skiing in CT so that means you have never skied Sundown! I thought skiing Sundown was a prerequisite for all Moderators here. Did Greg know about this?

:lol:

bvibert

Staff member
They had 2 rails and a jump last Saturday

Edit: a jump that it was very difficult to get enough speed to clear to the landing

2 rails and a jump is still way less than they had on it last year at this time...

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
For all the travel required to reach Mohawk and Sundown it's not much of a stretch to get to Otis, Bousquet, Butternut, Berkshire East and Jiminy Peak. Lots of options in Western Mass.

...and Scotty's right Catamount in NY isn't too far west of all that.