• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice on having a baby and balancing skiing

mriceyman

Just ski less each year until they can get out there with you. Thats what im doing now.. Instead of 20 days on skis i might have 6-8 by end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

witch hobble

Keep skiing if it is a significant part of your self identity. I assume you are in Manhattan....that complicates things. Daddies (and skier moms) need play time too.

nycskier

This is my 4th ski season after my 1st son was born and I went from skiing 40 to 60 days every season to feeling very lucky that I got close to 15 days on the mountain last year. As tough as it is to ski with 1 kid it gets that much harder when you have 2 kids under 4 in your home. So here is my advice.

Take days when you can. If you live in Manhattan take advantage of the bus day trips to Hunter. If conditions looked good I would take a day off of work and catch a 7am bus to Hunter, get a full day of skiing in and be home in time to put my son to bed. I also used the bus trips to make day trips to VT and overnight trips to Killington.

This is my 1st season with 2 kids and getting away becomes even harder. But now that my oldest is 3 years old he can ski! You just have to accept the fact that you wont be skiing the back bowls of Vail or Firebreak in Heavenly. If you live in NYC there are some great kid friendly beginner hills within an hour drive of the City. I brought my son to ski Mt Peter and Tuxedo Ridge. Its obviously a very different experience but you see that doing the bunny hill with your kid at Tuxedo Ridge can be as rewarding as dropping into a fresh bowl filled with 2 feet of powder in Tahoe!

SkiFanE

I was pregnant the winter of 95/96 - blockbuster snow year. Depressing, kid born in snowstorm and snowed for 2 more weeks. I was shoveling snow at 8mos. Biggest effing sacrifice of my life! Husband...he hurt his knee first snowfall sledding that winter and was out for season - poor guy lol. Anyway...1-2x per year for about 5 years, another kid came. I work FT and with everything going on, just couldn't get out much. Then realized we had to do skmethong about this lack of skiing. Bought a ski house and got kids in skiis. Then had kid #3 and he was a lodge baby. Magic carpet came to SR, for $10 rental/day, got lil guy up on skis at 2.5yo - beats hanging in lodge. And now a completely dedicated 50/day year ski family.

No basketball (oldest did it a couple years after having ski house, sucked) or hockey.

With a non-skiing wife, don't expect a day a weekend. Sounds doable now, but something about babies and lil kids just suck nearly all of your time. And if you get time? Usually good time for a nap lmao

Biggest piece of advice for skiing Moms to be: August baby - can ski til April and be ready for next winter :)

congrats, good luck and even if you don't get much in, your kid makes it all worth it! But SKI EVERY DAY YOU CAN NOW!!!!!

J

jrmagic

It's tougher for sure but if you are willing to make some concessions to her and give her time too you should be able to get in a decent number of days the first few years but it does get challenging. As far as kids sports go, non winter sports can be manageable in the younger years but if the kids like it and are somewhat proficient, it eats at ski days. My son plays lacrosse year round. During the prime winter months it's usually only an hour or two a weekend but given that I ski 3+ hours away from home its a challenge. I will promise you one thing, during the sporting event itself you won't even think about skiing cause you will be wrapped up in your child's game but you will be thinking about skiing in the time that leads up to the game. My son is now a junior so it's almost done but he has spring training at the IMG facility in FL which is gonna cut into spring bumps.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Why are so many of you taking 4-5 years off? Once those kids turn 3, they should be going with you at least a day a week. You don't have to stop skiing (as I said in my earlirr post, god willing as long as one is physically capable why ever stop?). Your focus in skiing will change the first few years once you have a child. But, once you have a child, your entire life focus changes to become child centric anyway. So, expect your skiing to do the same. Your days will decrease some but you and your wife will get into a routine. But, let your child know from day 1 that you are a skier and you ski and then start skiing with them early...2.5-3. When they are young, follow their lead. 1 or 2 runs, hot chocolate and snow angels with lots of laughter and smiles is a very successful day. Keep doing that and by the time they are 7-8 you won't be able to get them off the hill until the lifts close.

Last edited:

Newpylong

Cut back the skiing and be with your family for the first two years, once they are 3 it's time to toss skis on them.

603Skier

Most have it right when they say don't give it up! Ski, ski, ski. My son was in a backpack and we hiked Cannon when he was 30 days old on an open ski day. I am sure Cannon probably would not allow hiking now, but I agree with the take turns in the lodge. I also recommend taking him around on a nice day in the backpack amid the beginner section just to expose him/her to it.

My son, got on at age 3 at an actual ski area. Do yourself a favor and get a few progression lessons that are week after week and don't let up for that first year. Skip the below 20 degree days and it will be the best thing you could do. The second year, a refresher lesson or two and up you go to the big chair.

Is it worth it?
The minuses - None I can think of...wait yeah one. It really stinks for a moment when I look up and my son ask should I do it? I respond you may want to ski around and check it out first and do it on your next run. His response, none, just 15 feet of air in the woods before even considering the consequences. Lucky most similar situations my heart only sinks momentarily.

The pluses - Well my son looks forward to skiing with his cousin and friends more than anything on the weekends and is very passionate about it. Plus it is one of the sports that you can do together as long as your knees can hold you up. A lifetime of memories.

Reach out on this forum for another family in the same situation and heck, now you won't have to ski alone.

dlague

Cut back the skiing and be with your family for the first two years, once they are 3 it's time to toss skis on them.

yup at 2.5 I was tethering and after 3 private lessons a few times close together and we were off and running when the kids were 4.

Sucked for our oldest boys to drop the number of days when our youngest was born but thankfully for them they had ski programs at their school so they got an extra 6 days that way - then again we live close to ski areas.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

mlctvt

Last weekend I rode the chairlift at Mount Snow with a young women who said she had a 9 month old. Her husband was home watching the baby while she skied. Nice to see they both allowed the other to get some skiing in

Last edited:

SkiFanE

Why are so many of you taking 4-5 years off? Once those kids turn 3, they should be going with you at least a day a week. You don't have to stop skiing (as I said in my earlirr post, god willing as long as one is physically capable why ever stop?). Your focus in skiing will change the first few years once you have a child. But, once you have a child, your entire life focus changes to become child centric anyway. So, expect your skiing to do the same. Your days will decrease some but you and your wife will get into a routine. But, let your child know from day 1 that you are a skier and you ski and then start skiing with them early...2.5-3. When they are young, follow their lead. 1 or 2 runs, hot chocolate and snow angels with lots of laughter and smiles is a very successful day. Keep doing that and by the time they are 7-8 you won't be able to get them off the hill until the lifts close.

Honestly, during those years I was adjusting to parenting life, and didn't miss skiing very much. My kids are spaced apart, so when it looked like this parenting gig was going to drag on...we realized we needed to jump in with both feet. Husband and I are both equal ski fanatics - so split up weekends suck (we always skied together), dragging whole family and setting up kids gear for 2x/year ski trips was just exhausting and frustraing... it's just not easy, especially when you're both working FT. Trying to get oldest on skis at Nashoba Valley was just a joke..she'd still be on bunny trail at the rate she was going lol. If I was jonesing every weekend, like I am now, it'd be different, but we weren't very focused for a few years, no biggie.

VTKilarney

The title to this thread has the most important word: "balance".

Things are going to change. Radically. This means that your skiing is going to have to change. Just be aware of that fact and you'll be fine.

When you decide to introduce your child to skiing, remember that they are experiencing it from a child's level of maturity and point of view. You want your child to think of skiing as a fun activity. Don't force things on them that they are not ready for. That will pay dividends down the road.

We wound up taking a few years off, and I have no regrets doing so. I have no problem with people who start back earlier, but it was just too much hassle for us. When we started back up our children were independent enough that it wasn't a constant burden to go skiing. We did a lot in those years to make up for the lack of skiing - particularly traveling.

HD333

Things will definitely change. For the age of 0-2 our days on snow were really limited, I don't think the wife skied at all. I probably got 10 days a year, both of us averaged 30 or so pre kids.
Once they hit 3 we put them in a weekly lesson at WaWa, we got to ride together for a half day and then if the kids were up for it we stayed out with them. Definitely not hardcore skiing.
After 2 years of that we moved to a bigger mountain and kept them in a seasonal program so we could ski together and then with them in the afternoon. The skiing/riding got better at this point.
Fast forward to a few years ago and we got a seasonal rental at Okemo and we are back to 30 plus days a year and they are
faster and more technical than us now.
I would definitely suggest putting kids in a reoccurring lesson/program it gets them good fast and it gives you some time with the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prsboogie

I have already informed my wife that once the baby arrives, hockey is only allowed to be watched in the bedroom.

I'd rather the kid not know of the sport

DHS I couldn't agree more about the no hockey. God damn teeth are expensive enough without having to worry about pucks/sticks to the mouth!! 👄

boston_e

I'll echo what many said ... We went from 25-30 days per year. The first two years I dropped down to 3 or 4 and I'm not sure my wife skied at all. Missed it in some ways, but didn't in others. In the third winter ( he was just under 3) we started to venture out to smaller hills with him. We did a mix of some half day lessons for him and some days just taking him to the magic carpet ourselves. (most mountains will have a half day program for the youngest kids that mixes indoor games / day care with an hour out on the skis).

You will find that seeing your child start to get it is more fun than your best powder day ever. Just take it slow and be prepared for some frustrations.... Those little legs can get really tired in a hour.

By the time they were 7 and 4 we were back up to 15+ days a year all skiing together.... With my wife and I each escaping for a few runs on our own.

in short... It goes quick and don't worry about missing a handful of ski days during the first few years.

ceo

Our first child never figured out this nursing business and my (non-skier) wife, being massively dedicated to natural feeding, pumped milk for him his first few years. I share her dedication to this (and this isn't the place to debate infant feeding philosophies), but there's no denying that exclusive pumping is a gigantic, time-consuming pain in the ass, among other places, and it meant that I ended up missing two seasons, not least because the kid had the poor timing to be born in early January. Kid #2 was born in May and nursed like a champ and I didn't miss any ski time at all; indeed I got Kid #1 started on skis the same year.

The tricky business now is that I'd planned on starting Kid #2 skiing this season; he's now 4 and Kid #1 just turned 10. For various reasons, we haven't actually gotten out at all yet; last weekend I'd planned to take him to Nashoba to show him the ropes, but he refused to go. Last thing I want is for skiing to be a power struggle, so this project might have to wait until next season. I'd already signed him up for the childcare/ski school program at Smuggs when we go there for part of February vacation, and if he decides to try it out then, that's awesome, and if not, no biggie. (I have to bring him because his preschool will be closed and wifey can't take time off work.)

It's going to be difficult anyway, as on day trips I'll have to ski with him on the bunny slope after his lesson, but his older brother is going to want to do some actual skiing, and I'm not sure about letting him ski by himself (for one thing, he has mild Asperger's). I could put one in a morning lesson and the other in an afternoon lesson, but then I don't get to do any real skiing myself. I could simply put the younger in childcare for the afternoon, but I'd rather he get to do more skiing if he wants to (which I'm confident he will eventually). The kind of all-day childcare with ski lessons thing that Smuggs has is the best plan, but not all areas do that; best option I've found for that in day-trip range is Pats Peak.

jrmagic