• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice on having a baby and balancing skiing

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
Hello,

Any dads or moms out there have advice about balancing skiing with pregnancy and having a baby? As a husband should I stop skiing? My wife is sort of into skiing, a lot of people I talk to say they take 2-3 years off of skiing when having their first kid. What are your experiences?

Thanks all for your help!

wa-loaf

Don't think you need to give it up, but you will likely ski a lot less for a few years. Everyone needs a break so give your wife opportunities to get some time off from the baby as much as possible. I've known people to head up together and take turns skiing and watching baby in lodge.

deadheadskier

Staff member
About to find out in March. My wife doesn't ski. I will do whatever it takes to make sure she has her time, so that I can get in 1 day each weekend. My wife's pretty cool. I don't see it being an issue for me.

xwhaler

I've known people to head up together and take turns skiing and watching baby in lodge.

This is what we do---works out pretty well....hardest part is containing/entertaining a toddler (my son is nearly 2) in a crowded lodge.
Now we spend as much time as possible outside the lodge with him walking around or time on the magic carpet.
Nice to meet together for lunch. I didn't ski much the yr he was born (16 days) but I've worked my way back.
I don;t think it is good to give it up (for either of you) if you can help it.

Few trips coming up where my in laws will watch our son and my wife and I can ski together.
Also, if you have a mtn nearby such that you can do quick 1/2 day hits or even night skiing that is a good way to get your turns in w/o totally disrupting family responsibilities.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I may go back to the Granite Pass next year just to have that quick AM Crotched hit available to me.

Smellytele

I agree with the taking turns watching the kid and also giving her time to do what she really likes. As time goes by you can put the kid in the day care for 1/2 day so you can ski together while taking turns the other 1/2 a day.

Puck it

if the spouse does not ski than you are toast when the kids get older and they are into things other than skiing. Hockey and cheerleading kill your skiing. How? I experienced it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have already informed my wife that once the baby arrives, hockey is only allowed to be watched in the bedroom.

I'd rather the kid not know of the sport

Puck it

I have already informed my wife that once the baby arrives, hockey is only allowed to be watched in the bedroom.

I'd rather the kid not know of the sport

It was year round for us when he played AAA hockey. We played tournanments from Canada to Florida.

4aprice

Did not stop skiing during either of my wife's pregnancies. Was lucky enough to have my mom available for some baby sitting but cut back and did the split runs thing when they got big enough to go to the ski area. DHS, we started staying more local and did the morning thing @ Camelback quite a bit. Put both on at 3 1/2. Must have done something right as at 21 and 18 the kids still want to ski and go on trips with us. It's great having the 18 yr go with me on things that I won't go on alone anymore. He doesn't seem to mind me coming up to visit. (he gets a good meal out of it)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Smellytele

if the spouse does not ski than you are toast when the kids get older and they are into things other than skiing. Hockey and cheerleading kill your skiing. How? I experienced it.

Basketball kills skiing also. When they get in HS (I know along ways away) and play Basketball forget about taking a family vacation to ski.

I spent $100k on a slopeside condo, we both got to ski and watch our children

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
You should never stop skiing as long as you are physically able. This is for a number of reasons. One, Your child will learn about and see your passion first hand. By the time they are able to walk, they are going to want to go ski with Daddy and Mommy. Second, this will set some precedence for your relationship in the future. :) (ok, joking about that last one.) But seriously, Don't ever stop. Like Wa-Loaf said, expect fewer days the first few years and more day trips. With a young baby, you will both need some time to free your minds. I can think of no better way than being outdoors, exercising and skiing. Stopping skiing....that's blasphemy!!

Oh, and I forbid both kids from ever doing any type of winter sports activities other than skiing.

Brad J

Have a great understanding wife that happen to be married to a inconsiderate bas----, I skied 45 days a year when we were having kids,and took a guys trip to Colorado and Utah every year and only calmed it down when they got older and the two girls got into skating, we all skied together maybe 6 to 10 days for about 10 years , them my wife gave up skiing and I was down to 3 to 4 days during the College years and now back to 30+ days and western trips. I was not very balanced and again I am married to the wife of the century. good luck

dlague

Well my wife skied while she was pregnant with our youngest. Nothing serious - just greens trails just to get out there. She was relatively new to skiing. Once our youngest was born we skied like 10 times per season the first year then like 15 the second year then when he was just over 3 we got out about 20 times and then never looked back. When he was 5 we reached thirty days and not at 12 we are looking to hit 50 days. Lucky for us, none of our boys like winter sports other than skiing. Spring sports got in the way a few times.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

mr magoo

My first kid was life changing and I (we) did not ski for 5 years. You will see the time vacuum. Subsequent kids I got away to ski some. Started up again in earnest when they could come with us.