• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Popping the Platty cherry tomorrow/Saturday! Who else will be there?

St. Jerry

Somehow in my skiing career I have never been to the mighty P-kill. That will all change tomorrow.

So, what does this first-timer need to know? thanks!

millerm277

They aren't that big on trail signs, especially for all the little side trails. If something looks like a trail it probably is. (or is a MTB trail you can consider an unofficial ski trail). Either way, you're not going to suddenly ski off a cliff or something. Also, no one really cares about closed/open, ropes are mostly treated as suggestions.

There's some upper parking lots you might not realize when you first get there, easier walk from there.

The bar upstairs is nice for a drink. If you're looking for more substantial food on your way out, there are a couple decent places in the town of Roxbury actually.

Otherwise, simple place. 2 lifts, ride up and ski!

BenedictGomez

1) Each lunch upstairs in the bar area. The food is reasonably priced, and fantastic by any ski area measurement, let alone what you'd expect to find at a place so small. For ~$10, you'll be well-fed.

2) Either bring a radar detector or do not speed within the last 25 minutes of your voyage. I've never got a ticket, but I've seen plenty of victims. Revenue is scare up there.

BenedictGomez

Saturday looks somewhat brutal, but given the 10" they've received it might be tempting to hit it on SuperBowl Sunday.

selski

Bring your patience. There have been multiple times this year where I have been four or five people deep on the triple lift line. Also, I have occasionally had to share the trail with other skiers.

BenedictGomez

Bring your patience. There have been multiple times this year where I have been four or five people deep on the triple lift line. Also, I have occasionally had to share the trail with other skiers.

That's unacceptable.

When that happens I usually storm back to the lift ticket counter and scream at the lift ticket sales clerk, demanding my money back.

Jersey Skier

1) Each lunch upstairs in the bar area. The food is reasonably priced, and fantastic by any ski area measurement, let alone what you'd expect to find at a place so small. For ~$10, you'll be well-fed.

2) Either bring a radar detector or do not speed within the last 25 minutes of your voyage. I've never got a ticket, but I've seen plenty of victims. Revenue is scare up there.

Definitely, agree with both of these. Have the ticket to prove it.

Cornhead

Yes, DO NOT SPEED IN ROXBURY, unless you've got $270 to throw away, trust me.

Jersey Skier

I wouldn't speed much anywhere on Rt. 28 as I got my ticket a little east of Belleayre.

ScottySkis

Snowed 10/inches today was windy should be awesome powder packed blockbuster was fun switched back between both chairs all day today got there at 11 left at 3 . Rte 30 north was a horrible mess of not clear roads on way up. On way home it was fine best day at Platty today this weekend should be awesome assuming winds stop blowing snow.

moresnow

They aren't that big on trail signs, especially for all the little side trails. If something looks like a trail it probably is. (or is a MTB trail you can consider an unofficial ski trail). Either way, you're not going to suddenly ski off a cliff or something.

You might not go off a cliff but some of those MTB trails have pretty good drops.

St. Jerry

Sorry guys, I bailed. Wind sounds brutal. Platty somehow is just not meant to be for me.

skirick

Skied there for the 1st time last year the last day they were open. Outstanding relaxed vibe, nice straight down the fall line steep stuff and great trails in between. Def park in the upper lot because the place is built on a hill.
I went to college at Delhi which is just to the west, in the 70's and I never knew it was there.

Cornhead

Skied there for the 1st time last year the last day they were open. Outstanding relaxed vibe, nice straight down the fall line steep stuff and great trails in between. Def park in the upper lot because the place is built on a hill.
I went to college at Delhi which is just to the west, in the 70's and I never knew it was there.

Did you go to Aunt Cookie's in Delhi? I used to stop there while driving van, my first job out of high school. Possibly the best sub's I've ever had. They got their rolls from the Walton Bakery, toasted the sub's in their pizza oven, yummy.

skirick

Did you go to Aunt Cookie's in Delhi? I used to stop there while driving van, my first job out of high school. Possibly the best sub's I've ever had. They got their rolls from the Walton Bakery, toasted the sub's in their pizza oven, yummy.

Can't say that I remember that place. I just remember three main bars.