• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Drought hurts Sierra snowpack

Rowsdower

How is this impacting resorts' bottom lines? You can't make up the season in March/April. Do enough people still go or do other activities to make up for lost ski revenue?

VTKilarney

I'd love to see a study on how unpredictable various ski regions in the country are for snowfall. In other words, how big a difference do you see in the range compared to the mean.

Tahoe seems to be pretty volatile. They can get slammed - but they can also get nothing.

Last edited:

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I'd love to see a study on how unpredictable various ski regions in the country are for snowfall. In other words, how big a difference to you see in the range compared to the mean.

Tahoe seems to be pretty volatile. They can get slammed - but they can also get nothing.

www.bestsnow.net has some standard deviation info for the different areas. Tahoe is the most volatile. Utah is usually the most consistent, along with Grand Targhee.

MadMadWorld

Finally a legit powder day today. Some of the fluffiest snow I've ever seen. I've seen what can happen later in the season here and I'm starting to get more optimistic. A season of misery can be simply erased in a couple of weeks...hoping it continues

For all the bitching we deserve some pics

snoseek

Drought continues on. Got a couple feet of blower last week and back to sunny and 50's. Forecast is looking same ol....I'm wondering if we'll even go past Easter. At this point I just assume it end so I'm free to go to Colorado and spend some time skiing/biking before my busy summer season starts back east.

ScottySkis

Drought continues on. Got a couple feet of blower last week and back to sunny and 50's. Forecast is looking same ol....I'm wondering if we'll even go past Easter. At this point I just assume it end so I'm free to go to Colorado and spend some time skiing/biking before my busy summer season starts back east.

Sorry.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Not much better here. This is getting REALLY old.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Not much better here. This is getting REALLY old.

Meahwhile, at Killington, on the snow report...

5:28 pm 03/08/15--We're in the midst of quite a streak here, skiers and riders: Killington's base temperature has remained below freezing for 50 consecutive days. Monday's forecast calls for slightly warmer temperatures so we could see the streak end, but only time will tell.

snoseek

Bump, March LOL.

No new snow, Temps getting me days and a melting snowpack. Many at this point would just assume it melt off so we can get the fuck out of here and move on. Employee housing is modern day grapes of wrath, minus the dying and stuff. Imagine working so little and getting a two week pay period check for 000.00 because rent deductions. I actually heard the new policy was to give a minimum of 75 dollars...to eat for two weeks.

Me, I'm actually still having fun...making decent money and skiing super techy lines. Totally gotten robbed...at no point did it feel like winter and with a warm forecast and April approaching I just don't know if its going to happen at all. Maybe a late storm? Maybe next year? Kirkwood season total=150 in!

mriceyman

Bump, March LOL.

No new snow, Temps getting me days and a melting snowpack. Many at this point would just assume it melt off so we can get the fuck out of here and move on. Employee housing is modern day grapes of wrath, minus the dying and stuff. Imagine working so little and getting a two week pay period check for 000.00 because rent deductions. I actually heard the new policy was to give a minimum of 75 dollars...to eat for two weeks.

Me, I'm actually still having fun...making decent money and skiing super techy lines. Totally gotten robbed...at no point did it feel like winter and with a warm forecast and April approaching I just don't know if its going to happen at all. Maybe a late storm? Maybe next year? Kirkwood season total=150 in!

One of these years it has to go back to normal

snoseek

Sierra at At Tahoe is closed
Sugarbowl closes on Sunday

Homewood never really opened

Glad I pick Kirkwood as my base. Maybe a little sunday into Monday....enough to buy us a week. End is near.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Long overdue for a change....in sum, from wasatchsnowforecast.com:

Not what we needed coming off two previous near-record low months. January-March 2015 is far and away the worst such period in recorded history for the Wasatch Range. Ouch!

:x

skiNEwhere

That's like Jay getting 75" in a season. Damn

Speaking of which....

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 5.59.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 5.59.47 PM.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 147

deadheadskier

Staff member
At least the Sierras got a nice dump today. Saw a pic from Snoseek. Must have been awesome.