• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Drought hurts Sierra snowpack

legalskier

I was talking on the chairlift to a ski patroler who was pumped for his 2 week trip to the Tahoe area next week. He won't like this-

Sierra snowpack dismal for January; fourth year of drought looks likely
...At least three ski resorts in the Lake Tahoe area closed within the past two weeks. It was the driest January ever at Tahoe City, which saw only 0.03 inches of rain during the month....

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/environment/article8580011.html#storylink=cpy

:thumbdown:

Rowsdower

I was checking seasonal snowfall totals yesterday out of curiosity. At this point most Vermont resorts have received almost 30% more snow this season than Tahoe, and most would say this isn't even a good year for the NE. That's just depressing.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This will be the third consecutive drought season for Tahoe. Dry in Utah as well 😞

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

WJenness

I just decided against going to Tahoe for a few days after a thing in Reno I have to do at the end of February... Hopefully my cancellation will make the snow gods angry and they will blanket Tahoe in white gold to make me jealous I skipped out.

bdfreetuna

Tahoe is dunzo unless low pressure is able to build off the coast of California. Seems like every time it pops up it just fizzles out. I've been told there is an effort to block Fukashima radiation. I'm not sure how if at all true that is, but I do study Earth and space weather, and what's going on off the coast of California is unusual, to say the least.

I was watching the same jet stream pattern taking place over about a year. Every time low pressure was about to cause some counter clockwise rotation off the coast of Cali, it's like a shot of high pressure came down on it. When that happened it caused pronounced jet stream modulations such as polar vortex formation we've been getting used to lately.

I think they are doing something like Aquiess Global Rain Project to manipulate jet streams and possibly keep the rads down in Cali. This is jet stream manipulation tech using EMF, openly advertised, available, and used by many governments around the world.

At the same time California is planning to install ionic rain generators. Seems to me like too much of too many people messing with the weather. After studying weather and climate modification for the last decade, speaking to insiders in the research meteorology field, there's a lot more I could say...

But I've generally found that people like to observe things but when you try to point them towards information which could inform their knowledge on the subject, there begins the hostility.

Last edited:

snoseek

December was decent at upper elevation. January was sunny, dry and 50 everyday. It once again is a rough time here. Warm water off the coast has parked a big ass ridge for the better part of four years...only going away briefly.

We do have massive moisture incoming but snow levels are marginal.

I'm lucky enough to call Kirkwood my home base. We were 100 percent before xmas and have pretty much remained although thin as hell and extra techy so much of it you'd have to be insane to attempt. But this incoming atmospheric river will give us several feet of base builder while other places like squaw and lake level resorts will take a beating. Yep....Kirkwood, Rose, Sugarbowl and upper heavenly..Everyone else will be screwed.

Things don't usually get going till mid feb-april anyway. Still have hope or I'd be long gone.

I like it here, people are cool and terrain is best in lower 48 easily but Tahoe isn't a viable resort destination as it once was IMO.

MadMadWorld

Tahoe is dunzo unless low pressure is able to build off the coast of California. Seems like every time it pops up it just fizzles out. I've been told there is an effort to block Fukashima radiation. I'm not sure how if at all true that is, but I do study Earth and space weather, and what's going on off the coast of California is unusual, to say the least.

I was watching the same jet stream pattern taking place over about a year. Every time low pressure was about to cause some counter clockwise rotation off the coast of Cali, it's like a shot of high pressure came down on it. When that happened it caused pronounced jet stream modulations such as polar vortex formation we've been getting used to lately.

I think they are doing something like Aquiess Global Rain Project to manipulate jet streams and possibly keep the rads down in Cali. This is jet stream manipulation tech using EMF, openly advertised, available, and used by many governments around the world.

At the same time California is planning to install ionic rain generators. Seems to me like too much of too many people messing with the weather. After studying weather and climate modification for the last decade, speaking to insiders in the research meteorology field, there's a lot more I could say...

But I've generally found that people like to observe things but when you try to point them towards information which could inform their knowledge on the subject, there begins the hostility.

https://panokroko.wordpress.com/201...shima-fallout-raining-down-on-the-west-coast/

bdfreetuna

Potassium Iodide... good for protecting thyroid from radiation damage.

Barium salts and silver iodide... good for absorbing (barium) and precipitating (silver iodide) airborne radiation.

Zinc chloride and Calcium chloride... prevents precipitation allowing moisture to travel further.

snoseek

Sweet, sweet corn today.

I'm still holding on to hope, not giving up yet. PNA forecasting to go neg and an overall big pattern flip by march 1st. Enjoy your historically epic snowfall New England, I am truly jealous but a month from now I bet the tables turn....I can only hope. You heard it here first

MadMadWorld

Sweet, sweet corn today.

I'm still holding on to hope, not giving up yet. PNA forecasting to go neg and an overall big pattern flip by march 1st. Enjoy your historically epic snowfall New England, I am truly jealous but a month from now I bet the tables turn....I can only hope. You heard it here first

You sit on a throne of lies!

snoseek

I want northern ne to keep dumping for May skiing upon my return but GODDAMN do I want a pattern flip bad!!!

If this doesn't materialize in a couple weeks I'm seriously considering driving to Vermont and finshing out the season there

thetrailboss

Staff member
Fwiw Utah is not doing any better. Dry and warm. Not good.

snoseek

Is there any chance the outlook improves for next week (22nd-28th) or is it just more of the same?
I'm at Snowbird/Alta that week. (Trip booked in Dec.)

A first glance it looks like a trough will finally set up after almost 8 weeks towards the end of your stay, but again the models have busted so many times this winter who knows. Best bet may be to just find corn....Also that good terrain is always gonna be a fun time. If you could bump forward a week or two....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Is there any chance the outlook improves for next week (22nd-28th) or is it just more of the same?
I'm at Snowbird/Alta that week. (Trip booked in Dec.)

Boy I sure as hell hope it changes. This has been bad. As said, we get lots of teases but no real change.

SkiingInABlueDream

A first glance it looks like a trough will finally set up after almost 8 weeks towards the end of your stay, but again the models have busted so many times this winter who knows. Best bet may be to just find corn....Also that good terrain is always gonna be a fun time. If you could bump forward a week or two....

Adjustment of expectations - good advice! Definitely wish I could push the trip back for multiple reasons, not just weather in Utah.

Boy I sure as hell hope it changes. This has been bad. As said, we get lots of teases but no real change.

I'll interpret that as you've given up on forecasts at this point. :-(

snoseek

Finally a legit powder day today. Some of the fluffiest snow I've ever seen. I've seen what can happen later in the season here and I'm starting to get more optimistic. A season of misery can be simply erased in a couple of weeks...hoping it continues