• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone skiied okemo recently?

rocks860

Buddy from work has a couple free tickets so we're heading up tomorrow. Haven't been there since last year, wondering how it's looking

Edd

Timely. We were considering going there for Mon and Tue. I've never been. Just want to cross it off the list. How are the dining options in Ludlow? Anyone ever stay at Jackson Gore?

djdj

I did not think Okemo was that good ether and i skied it last year

tekweezle

Okemo, Stratton and Windham(in Ny) are the safe places you bring beginners to Intermediates to ski to get their confidence up. They all have long, virtually identical cruising friendly trails. I've never been to Bretton Woods but I hear it has the same reputation.

Anyone of a higher level, look elsewhere for a challenge.

Sent from a Freedompop HTC Evo 4G

dlague

It is the same as last year as far as the runs go. Oh and the orange thingy!

Last edited:

Edd

We decided on SR instead but I plan to make it there this season.

Looking at the forecast a heated chair sounds delightful.

abc

The guys was asking up-to-date condition. Given there's no trip report, it's a fair question.

What does it do for you to bash a mountain you don't like? Does it generate equal pleasure as skiing your favorite mountain?

Besides, if all the beginner & intermediate gone to Okemo, wouldn't that free up the chair of your own favorite mountain? Why so hostile?

Sorry OP, I've not skied Okemo recently so no first hand report.

rocks860

Well it ended up being a pretty good day despite the insane cold and wind. It was definitely one of the windiest days of skiing I've ever had, the bubble chair was on wind hold the whole day and never opened. The groomed trails were super icy and any new snow they had gotten was confined to the very edges of the trails or the woods so we mostly stuck to the trees. We skied over on the jackson gore side in the morning as there seemed to be less wind. In the afternoon we skied with some friends of my buddy who knew the mountain really well so it was definitely more interesting. The woods on blackhole were pretty good and outrage was a pretty nice trail, reminded me of paradise at sugarbush. Best run of the day was definitely the loose spruce trees off of the south face chair. We then took a trip completely off the mountain down through the woods to their house that was basically 3 feet of powder the whole day. All in all a good day but very glad it was a free ticket.

Last edited:

rocks860

The lifts with the magic carpet on and off ramps were God awful though, who thought that was a good idea?

deadheadskier

Staff member
The carpet load work awesome at Sugarloaf and Shawnee Peak in Maine. Wonder why it's such an issue at Okemo

deadheadskier

Staff member
At the areas I mentioned, it increases the speed on the fixed grip lifts appreciably. At Sugarloaf, the Skyline lift is now an 8 minute ride when it used to be 12ish with the old double. At Shawnee their Summit Triple is around 9 minutes now vs 14 prior. Really noticeable improvements. Not quite detachable speed, but way faster than any other fixed grip I've ever rode. The other benefit is that the speed of the carpets matches the speed of the chair. The benefit there is that you don't have to worry about the lifties screwing up the chair bump and having your calves get smashed. I'll concede they are a little awkward to get used to, but the speed gains seem worth it to me. They are also less prone to wind holds than a detach.