• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you choose the better mountain or better snow?

Jersey Skier

I have a choice between skiing tomorrow at Plattekill which should have some snow in the woods, but probably blown/scraped off snow on the main trails. Or, I can wait for the storm and ski Monday, but be limited to skiing in the Poconos, Blue or Camelback. So possibly better conditions, but it's the Poconos.

Which to choose?

BenedictGomez

Why not both?

I was planning on Platty tomorrow and Shawnee or Camelback Monday night. Sadly I'm more slowly than I anticipated recovering from a cold so tomorrow may not happen now, but when the snow's as good as it is now I'd get after it. :(

Jersey Skier

There is only a certain Work/Play ratio my Wife lets me get away with. Since technically, I should be at work both days. Retail.

gmcunni

how bad can the poconos be? i'd go with Monday. but i ski CT so my standards aren't very high.

BenedictGomez

how bad can the poconos be? i'd go with Monday. but i ski CT so my standards aren't very high.

The Pokes are substantially worse than the Catskills. It's not even a contest.

I cant speak to how the Pocono chain compares to CT, as I've never skied there.

Edd

I've never skied NY. To answer the question of snow vs terrain, my vote is for good snow.

legalskier

Elk is better better then Windham and Bellflat.

Says the guy who's never even skied Belle. Have you ever skied Windham either? I'm curious why you keep knocking mountain(s) you've never been to.
Having skied all three many times, I can say that Elk is a very nice mountain but the other two offer much more. Elk's also a longer drive for me than they are. And Benedict is right- it isn't in the Poconos, it's in the Endless Mountains.

Getting back to the OP, given the choice he presents, I'd go with snow conditions. The problem is, he's pinning his hopes on a big dump in the Pokes, which at this point is only a possibility, not a guarantee- like the last storm that bypassed both the Cats and the Pokes. When in doubt, do both if you can. "Get while the gettin's good."

bdfreetuna

Snow and Terrain are weighed against each other to form a perfect ratio on a weekly basis.

Usually given the choice early season I will go for Snow. Mid season, it's a complex formula. Later in the season, spring skiing, I will take terrain every time.

Mapnut

Scotty, didn't you say Plattekill got 10 inches Friday? I'm going to Belleayre, they're 100% open so that's got to be better than anything in the Poconos. Belleayre has about 16 ways down from the top and they range from heavy snowmaking and grooming to ungroomed natural with moguls, so you can have whatever conditions you want. My only big concern is to get there early enough to get in the upper parking lot.

ScottySkis

I skied bell so twice last winter and posted trip report s . it . I. Been to Windham twice once when I was teenage and once I took a bus from NYC when I lived their about 5 years ago.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
For the most part the better mountain because even in crappy conditions the sides of trails are decent enough to have fun. Exceptions would be if the worse mountain has legit powder or if there's a thaw/rain which turns the better mountain to 100% ice.

Rowsdower

That Catskills have more terrain, steeper terrain, glades, and receive twice as much snow as the Poconos. It's really no contest. That said, its not like the Poconos aren't fun when the conditions are right. If that's all you can drive to after a big storm then you'll still have a good time. Have fun with what you've got. Lemonade and all that jazz, right?