• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Owl's Head 1/31/2015

Loaf Nut

Date(s) Skied: January 31, 2015

Resort or Ski Area: Owl's Head

Conditions: Packed Powder

Trip Report: After a night out in Magog, we decided to sleep in late to avoid the forecasted extreme cold and wind. Got to the mountain around 10:30, and although the base temperature was -3F, bluebird skies and a lack of any wind whatsoever made the weather tolerable (heard that Jay had wind holds, which is amazing considering the mountains are only a few miles apart). This was our first time at Owl's Head, and we were very impressed with the mountain's perfectly thinned glades, old-school and friendly vibe, and especially the views. Although Smuggs had clearly benefitted from more natural snowfall during the week, Owl's Head offered up nearly untracked runs all afternoon.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

Loaf Nut

It was! Good food & drinks, friendly people, and a favorable exchange rate... how could you go wrong?? Surprised that there weren't more U.S. license plates in the Owl's Head parking lot.

BackLoafRiver

Gorgeous views! A buddy and I skied Orford a few weeks ago and stayed in Megog. A lot of fun and definitely someplace we will go back to for sure. Glad you enjoyed it.

xwhaler

Very nice....the day we were up there just before XMas the mtn was totally shrouded in clouds and we didn't get the great views.
Also didn't get to sample any of the glades beyond Magog up high as everything else was closed or had active snowmaking which made getting to the glades impossible.
Sounds like you made nice use of the Fox 44 card during this 3 day jaunt?

dlague

Gorgeous views! A buddy and I skied Orford a few weeks ago and stayed in Megog. A lot of fun and definitely someplace we will go back to for sure. Glad you enjoyed it.

Great walking town during the summer too with the park on the water front.

Loaf Nut

Yup, Owl's Head was the one I was most excited about on the Fox 44 card, since I'd never been... definitely worth the trip.