• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

February 8th until.....uhhh.....whenever

BenedictGomez

Just got home from n.VT and checking in on this. Radar doesnt look as impressive as the models depicted, but we're early innings still. Conditions are already positively amazing out there so whatever we get is gravy IMO. Seems like every few days it's 6" here, 8" there, a foot there, really shaping up to be a great season.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Drove from Lyndonville to Barre around noon. Snowing in L'Ville turned to sleet around Cabot/Marshfield. Left Barre around 3:30 headed to Burlington and the sleet had turned to freezing mist/rain. And it was 14 degrees. Freezing rain all the way to B'ton. The temp even dropped on the west side of the Green Mtns to 9 degrees! Roads got pretty slick. Still freezing rain when I left there at 6:45. The freezing rain turned back to snow just east of Waterbury. I think I went through an entire gallon of de-icing windshield wash. I had to give the windshield a spritz every 30-40 seconds to make sure I could see. Some people must have run out because there were several cars on the side of I-89 scraping their windshields.
Hopefully it stayed sleet and snow in the mtns. The sleet may have kept totals down a bit.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Enjoy it guys. This appears to be your year. We have a bad ridge sitting over us. Temps this week are going to be warm again...60's down in the valley and 30's-40's up high. No real snow it appears. It is killing the PC areas. LCC has not cracked the 200" mark yet.

catsup948

We're getting a nice flow here. Moderate to heavy snow for a while now. I bet we get a foot here and a bit more in the Berks and Southern Greens. 7 hour drive home from Sugarloaf today!

4aprice

Just got home from n.VT and checking in on this. Radar doesnt look as impressive as the models depicted, but we're early innings still. Conditions are already positively amazing out there so whatever we get is gravy IMO. Seems like every few days it's 6" here, 8" there, a foot there, really shaping up to be a great season.

Boy BG I don't know what time you came through, but my drive from Pico/Killington to NNJ was anything but a breeze. Snow in the morning had ebbed but as we left it was really picking up again. 4/149/Northway all snow covered, slow and snowing, hard burst in Albany down past Catskills where it went above freezing. I think they get significant snow tonight.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

Boy BG I don't know what time you came through, but my drive from Pico/Killington to NNJ was anything but a breeze. Snow in the morning had ebbed but as we left it was really picking up again. 4/149/Northway all snow covered, slow and snowing, hard burst in Albany down past Catskills where it went above freezing. I think they get significant snow tonight.

I'd been monitoring the models/radar and made the call to leave EARLY today given s.VT through the Cats looked to be bullseye. That and the fact that Vermont's roads are an abomination on a good day. I'm pretty sure the Vermont road department's motto is, "Deal With It". We were on the road by 9:30am. I just wanted to be south of the Cats by 2pm to stay well ahead of the worst of it.

That decision made the drive simple other than Vermont, which was slow and annoying from St. Albans all the way down to the NY State line. Once you hit that NY state line the road immediately (literally) goes from snow & ice covered to, completely clear and clean black top.

Tin

Berkshire got 8" last night and looking like 6-8" more today. Going to be awesome tomorrow. Hopefully more of the snakes are covered up.

gladerider

How is NVT doing so far? Any report would be appreciated. Driving up Thursday evening for a few days.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Has anyone seen an explanation for the freezing mist/drizzle that we are still getting here in N Vermont? It doesn't seem to be creating a crust layer but it glazes any solid surface it touches.
I haven't seen any atmospheric temp profiles to see were a warm layer may be. It is very strange. Even if there is a warm layer, where is that warm air even coming from? The Atlantic?

Last edited:

Puck it

Has anyone seen an explanation for the freezing mist/drizzle that we are still getting here in N Vermont? It doesn't seem to be creating a crust layer either but it glazes any solid surface it touches.
I haven't seen any atmospheric temp profiles to see were a warm layer may be. It is very strange. Even if there is a warm layer, where is that warm air even coming from? The Atlantic?

It was wierd drivnig in it yesterday coming down 295 in Portland. It was 6F and freezing rain. Very strange.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It was wierd drivnig in it yesterday coming down 295 in Portland. It was 6F and freezing rain. Very strange.

Mother Nature using Cannon snowguns yesterday. It was about 5F at the summit of MRG yesterday and while it wasn't quite freezing rain, it was a high water content snow that glazed your goggles.

xwhaler

Strange. At Sugarloaf I detected no water at all from the snow that was falling from the sky. It was so cold you could see the individual crystals. Could blow on the car windshield and snow would disappear.

dlague

Concord NH area is getting significant snow. When we got back from Sugarloaf where was about 5-6 inches in our driveway and through the evening is was falling fast with crystal like snow that did not accumulate that quickly but dropped like lead balloons even though it was like 5-6F. Snowing pretty good in Plymouth but tiny flakes.

Southern NH, VT and MA seem to ge getting the Jackpot on this one which is great for Magic on Saturday.

wa-loaf

Strange. At Sugarloaf I detected no water at all from the snow that was falling from the sky. It was so cold you could see the individual crystals. Could blow on the car windshield and snow would disappear.

There was about 3-4 inches of that on my car at 2pm when I was heading out from the Summit. It softened up the skiing a little, but did cause some issues where it covered up icy spots! I hit the sleet around Portland too. Traffic was moving along pretty well considering the conditions.

Still coming down hard here outside of 495.

dlague

There was about 3-4 inches of that on my car at 2pm when I was heading out from the Summit. It softened up the skiing a little, but did cause some issues where it covered up icy spots! I hit the sleet around Portland too. Traffic was moving along pretty well considering the conditions.

Still coming down hard here outside of 495.

Ya we experienced sleet in Southern ME on the 95 but we were still doing 75+ most of the way. It was weird - light traffic.

Smellytele

Mother Nature using Cannon snowguns yesterday. It was about 5F at the summit of MRG yesterday and while it wasn't quite freezing rain, it was a high water content snow that glazed your goggles.
Same thing at Stowe yesterday. It looked like snow until it hit your goggles then it would melt then freeze immediately. At around 10:30 changed to snow and then back to that crap around 2. It didn't do this on clothing just the goggles. The drive home around 4 was the same way on the windshield on and off.