• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

February 8th until.....uhhh.....whenever

twinplanx

Has anyone seen an explanation for the freezing mist/drizzle that we are still getting here in N Vermont? It doesn't seem to be creating a crust layer but it glazes any solid surface it touches.
I haven't seen any atmospheric temp profiles to see were a warm layer may be. It is very strange. Even if there is a warm layer, where is that warm air even coming from? The Atlantic?
Chem-trails.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
attachment.php

Albany

attachment.php

Grey Maine

Attachments

• soundingaly.jpg
    soundingaly.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 280
  • soundingsgyx.jpg
    soundingsgyx.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 280

fbrissette

Same thing at Stowe yesterday. It looked like snow until it hit your goggles then it would melt then freeze immediately. At around 10:30 changed to snow and then back to that crap around 2. It didn't do this on clothing just the goggles. The drive home around 4 was the same way on the windshield on and off.

None of this at Jay at least till 14h30.

catsup948

What a nice storm for here. We didn't get the totals Boston is getting but we got another 12 inches with a little more lingering tonight. Skiing was fantastic today at Berkshire East.

dlague

Went to shovel of deck and this snow is not fluffy it packed down and froze so I left it. Not ice but firm here in Concord.

Edd

Drove from Lyndonville to Barre around noon. Snowing in L'Ville turned to sleet around Cabot/Marshfield. Left Barre around 3:30 headed to Burlington and the sleet had turned to freezing mist/rain. And it was 14 degrees. Freezing rain all the way to B'ton. The temp even dropped on the west side of the Green Mtns to 9 degrees! Roads got pretty slick. Still freezing rain when I left there at 6:45. The freezing rain turned back to snow just east of Waterbury. I think I went through an entire gallon of de-icing windshield wash. I had to give the windshield a spritz every 30-40 seconds to make sure I could see. Some people must have run out because there were several cars on the side of I-89 scraping their windshields.
Hopefully it stayed sleet and snow in the mtns. The sleet may have kept totals down a bit.

Drove to Stowe from seacoast NH on Sunday. Hit the freezing rain soon after crossing the border. It was 15 degrees out. I went through a lot of wiper fluid. Skiing Monday I had the same experience as another poster with freezing rain on the goggles but it wasn't sticking to my clothes at all. It drove us inside for awhile because we simply couldn't see and the light was flat to begin with. Pretty decent conditions but we didn't catch the fresh snow we were hoping for.