• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deals for Loon?

Rushski

A bunch of guys are going to Loon free on Fox Boston's promotion tomorrow. Other guys are hoping to go but don't have the free passes...

Does anyone know of any types of deals for Loon? Liftopia doesn't have anything for them. Not sure if any gas stations have coupons, etc...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Krikaya

A bunch of guys are going to Loon free on Fox Boston's promotion tomorrow. Other guys are hoping to go but don't have the free passes...

Does anyone know of any types of deals for Loon? Liftopia doesn't have anything for them. Not sure if any gas stations have coupons, etc...

Anyone have any thoughts?

fuggedaboutit! Loon is the closest major area but I never ski there because it's so overpriced. It's a corporate mountain ( meaning greedy) and you'll be assaulted by the "hihowyas" as you hike to the lifts. They're like Walmart greeters. Loon seems to think if they hire asskissers to say hello that will take the sting out of their high ticket prices.

This is how I would greet people if I worked at Loon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxFc1RMbko4

You'll pay $76-$83 a day at Loon unless you plan way ahead. Cannon is $25-$40 midweek. It sucks that you're stuck skiing there but they do have some great terrain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For the most part that's true, but they do offer a Sunday half day ticket fo $29. That's a great deal IMO.

4aprice

I happen to like Loon a lot. Can't put my finger on exactly why but always have enjoyed skiing and being there. They are not the only place that makes it hard to play the discount game. Their affiliation with Sunday River and Sugarloaf offers no advantage to me from the NYC metro area and I don't live local so I get to hit it no more then a day/season. Still if I know the entire mountain is open I would not have too much of problem paying rack rate for a day, or in the op's case a weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Vortex

For the most part that's true, but they do offer a Sunday half day ticket fo $29. That's a great deal IMO.

I skied Loon for a few hours on my way home Sunday and the Conditions were good. The Boyne Pass is a good deal. Day tickets are exspensive if you don't catch a deal. There are quite a few ski shops in the area. American skiing, new ownership there. Rogers as well. I would call and see if they offer deals. I love loon mid week for the fast lifts and vertical.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
We're going to Loon for Pres Weekend with another couple (1-2 time a year skiers). It may end up being the most I've ever paid to ski.

dlague

I have discount hunted Loon Lift ticket deals for years and it just does not happen. Boston loves Loon and they know it. My sister took my son there a few years back and they said that it was crazy busy on a Saturday - she paid full price. I live about 45 minutes from there and have never skied it because I refuse to pay full price to ski there. It does not matter how people rave about it - nope. I got stuck in a situation like this where a bunch of friends wanted to ski a specific resort and I bit the bullet and did it as painful as it was for me. I hope you find something but that is like finding a needle in a haystack. Otherwise just enjoy the time and have fun with it - there is lots of snow right now.

deadheadskier

Staff member
. I love loon mid week for the fast lifts and vertical.

If South Peak is open......

I was shocked to learn how frequently they don't open it midweek. If I were a Boyne pass holder I'd be pissed. The equivalent would be if Sunday River didn't open the terrain from Aurora Peak west during the week. Really lame of Loon being they are by far the busiest ski area in the State of NH.

D-2.5-GT

Best option will be to buy a ticket in town at one of the ski shops to save a few bucks, ~$10 or so.

There may be some package deals, like buy 3 days upfront to use whenever, but overall there arent too many options.

4aprice

We're going to Loon for Pres Weekend with another couple (1-2 time a year skiers). It may end up being the most I've ever paid to ski.

Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet. I'm sure you will have a great time. I'm getting hosed at Killington this weekend but its because plans came together late, family and group size increased, but the company and good time trump the mighty $.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

D-2.5-GT

If South Peak is open......

I've skied there probably 10+ midweek days over the last two seasons and I've never seen South Peak closed on a weekday. Many of these days were so quiet that i couldnt even find someone to ride a lift with the whole day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've heard others here complain of finding it closed midweek.

I skied there on a Sunday this year and it was closed just because there was rain in the forecast. It stopped raining at 10AM that day. Given the Real Estate they are trying to sell over there, I thought it was incredibly penny wise and pound foolish.

It they're going to shut anything midweek to save some cash, closing North Peak chair would make more sense. At least with that closed you can still access much of the terrain from the Gondola.

Vortex

I've heard others here complain of finding it closed midweek.

I skied there on a Sunday this year and it was closed just because there was rain in the forecast. It stopped raining at 10AM that day. Given the Real Estate they are trying to sell over there, I thought it was incredibly penny wise and pound foolish.

It they're going to shut anything midweek to save some cash, closing North Peak chair would make more sense. At least with that closed you can still access much of the terrain from the Gondola.

Can't close the North Peak unless its wind hold ever. Walking Boss and Flume are Signature trails, like Angel street.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Right, but you can ski the bottom 2/3rds of those trails still by cutting over from the Gondola.

With the massive Real Estate development occurring at South Peak and let's face it, RE is where the money is in this business, I certainly wouldn't want to close it to save a few bucks if I were running the show. Like I said, if you were to compare that to SR, it would be like closing everything from Aurora West. It's a huge amount of terrain to be shutting down.

Vortex

Right, but you can ski the bottom 2/3rds of those trails still by cutting over from the Gondola.

With the massive Real Estate development occurring at South Peak and let's face it, RE is where the money is in this business, I certainly wouldn't want to close it to save a few bucks if I were running the show. Like I said, if you were to compare that to SR, it would be like closing everything from Aurora West. It's a huge amount of terrain to be shutting down.

I get your point. I see they close the east basin double mid week. On Sunday due to wind I think the Gondola was shut down. I have frost bite, so I could see if that might have been the reason.:dunce:

I love the South Peak and they need it to sell real estate, North Peak is where people go, as well as the Gondola.
Upper walking Boss and Upper Flume are not comparable to lower flume and lower walking boss.
Many loop that chair all day.

Both Chairs at South Peak are open today. Wish I was skiing tomorrow.
South Peak
Lincoln Express Quad
small-green-checkmark.png
Tote Road Quad
small-green-checkmark.png

Rushski

Thanks everyone for the insights. Guess Craigslist may be the last, best option.

I'm sort of have a love/hate relationship w/Loon. Their prices are crazy for what they have. Weekends are jammed. And they do seem to preserve trails a bit too much for weekends, even if midweek prices are generally the same...

But, I have a couple good days their in recent memory. Latest was last Fall when Ken Jones ran their demo in March. Think it was $30 or $35 for the lift ticket and pretty much every ski (and a few snowboard) company present letting me borrow and ride their equipment hard.

Again, knew if there were anywhere that might have info, it would be here...

SIKSKIER

Ken Jones runs that Demo every spring.Its a great deal for Loon.No offense St Bear but Pres weekend would be the last time of year I would ski Loon.