• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to go President's Day

hammer

Looks like the next opportunity for me to get out is President's Day. Looking for someplace that is within day trip range from the Lowell/Nashua area, has some good intermediate natural terrain, and won't have too many issues with crowds. Thought was to make my annual trip to Magic but without the Black chair running I'm concerned about long waits in lift lines.

Would also be nice if I didn't have to pay sticker price for lift tickets.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Burke is close to three hours from Lowell, but would probably offer the best value and lack of lift lines.

xwhaler

I can't imagine Black NH, Ragged, Skiway, Middlebury, Bolton would have terrible lines next Monday. BV/Middlebury may be outside of a comfortable day trip range for you though.

Brad J

worth going to Burke, good value, great skiing, noooooo crowds

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pico might be a solid bet as well. All reports from there recently have been stellar.

bdfreetuna

Go to Bolton they never get crowded and they're having some of the best skiing in recent history up there right now

Glenn

Harris Hill Ski Jump
Local woods for a snow shoe hike
Find a buddy with a snowmobile

No matter where you go, it'll be busy. Snow should be nice! Hit the woods.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app.

BenedictGomez

Utah or Colorado

gfs-ens_T2m_us_28.png

gfs-ens_T2m_us_29.png

4aprice

Probably going to kick my self but I'm skipping NNE for the next 2 weeks. It was pretty busy up there last weekend (at least Saturday was, Sunday was great) so I can imagine its going to be zooish this weekend. Will fight the lines here on the home front where at least if I give up I'm not hours away. Planning my return for the 27th - March 1st, and just drooling over the thought of March and April skiing this year. Have even thought of not going out to Utah and staying here for a week in March.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Looks like the next opportunity for me to get out is President's Day. Looking for someplace that is within day trip range from the Lowell/Nashua area, has some good intermediate natural terrain, and won't have too many issues with crowds. Thought was to make my annual trip to Magic but without the Black chair running I'm concerned about long waits in lift lines.

Would also be nice if I didn't have to pay sticker price for lift tickets.

Magic will be a lift line zoo - it was last year on the same weekend at least on Saturday.

drjeff

Magic will be a lift line zoo - it was last year on the same weekend at least on Saturday.

This Sunday, the 15th, Magic is also hosting a Southern Vt Council U14 slalom race. The SVC U14's usually have 100-110 athlete's competing, factor in coaches and parents on the hill with the racers and that will add probably between 175-200 people to the line to ride the Red

Based on an e-mail that the Mount Snow Ski Club sent out to all racers parents today about training/racing plans for all ages this coming weekend, my guess is that instead of using Showoff like they usually use for most races at Magic that the race hill will be Talisman, so expect a bunch of lycra clad armor wearing 12 and 13 year olds on parts of the West side Sunday

It would be so nice if Magic could get the $$ to really do something about it's lifts. Big crowds and long liftlines, as much as nobody likes dealing with them is key for Magic's bottomline and hopefully some working capital to keep things working reliably!

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Given the weather, I don't think Presidents weekend is going to be nearly as crowded in New England as it normally is. Then again, everyone knows the conditions are awesome, so there's that draw, but I think weather will seriously restrain the non pre-booked crowd.

Bene288

Gore in the 'Dacks handles the crowds very well. You can basically almost ski on most lifts, just stay away from the Gondola.

MadMadWorld

Isn't Magic doing the Black Magic Challenge (or whatever it's called)? I think in the past they didn't run the black when the comp was going on. That could be a recipe for disaster

bman1

I'm probably hitting Platty Saturday. Maybe Hunter Sunday. Sunday will be cold and hopefully keep the maniacs away.