• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The best sking is found in the Northeast right now?

skiNEwhere

I'm definitely jealous. This high pressure system that's been affecting tahoe is causing the bulk of storms energy to go north or south of colorado. We haven't had a big, foot plus storm since December, combined with highs in the 40's and 50's.

Hope everyone is getting some good turns out there.

BenedictGomez

How come you never actually write trip report.

I dunno. I'm not sure I'd be very good at it. And it doesn't seem very highly trafficked anyway.

In your opinion guys - where is the best snow in the Northeast right now? I was thinking southern VT / NH (at least east of NYS). The further North you get the lower snowfall bands were.

Possibly, but remember that the further north also had more snow when the south didn't.

If you're just talking recent inches, the southern VT areas won, but it's still phenomenal in the north right now, and the northern VT terrain is far better than the southern VT terrain, so knowing about a few more inches of snow certainly didn't stop my vehicle in Dover or Ludlow this past weekend.

Rowsdower

Checked Tahoe earlier. Last week Stowe was reporting twice as much snowfall to date this season as Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows. They've both gotten storms since but I expect that figure is about the same.

Savemeasammy

In your opinion guys - where is the best snow in the Northeast right now? I was thinking southern VT / NH (at least east of NYS). The further North you get the lower snowfall bands were.

Having skied both north and south, the snow cover is excellent all around - and everyone seems to be wide open. The one difference I've noticed is that when the steep stuff gets scraped off, down south (at magic) it's most likely scraped down to bulletproof, and further north (Burke, MRG) it gets scraped down to dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlctvt

Yup been there done that. While it is around 60 for a high the mountains are certainly not be low 30. In fact Breckenridge is reporting highs of 42 ish all week

Wow that sucks. I've got friends going there next week.

The last time I was in Breckenridge was a few years ago on a cross state bike ride in late July, it was 35 to 38 degrees in the morning before the sunrise!

snoseek

Checked Tahoe earlier. Last week Stowe was reporting twice as much snowfall to date this season as Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows. They've both gotten storms since but I expect that figure is about the same.

We got a decent amount of snow above 8k over the weekend. I would still rather ski northern new England right now but last couple days have been pleasant skiing at Kirkwood, we are at a mere 130 for the season and its still pretty thin on steeper stuff. Enjoy, looks good back there.

Edit, 42 in Colorado is not the same as 42 in Maine because of humidity. 42 usually means chalky snow

Last edited:

bman1

Has anyone skied Breck this month yet? I'm going next weekend. Should I try to postpone this or will it still be better than East Coast?

4aprice

We got a decent amount of snow above 8k over the weekend. I would still rather ski northern new England right now but last couple days have been pleasant skiing at Kirkwood, we are at a mere 130 for the season and its still pretty thin on steeper stuff. Enjoy, looks good back there.

Edit, 42 in Colorado is not the same as 42 in Maine because of humidity. 42 usually means chalky snow

Your right SS. It's just one of those years where the east makes out better then the west (happens from time to time) and also a year where we need to take advantage of that. Thus we will probably be holding off going to Utah and saving it for another year when the opposite will be true (and you know that will happen, probably sooner then later).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SIKSKIER

A couple friends were at Beaver Creek last week to watch the FIS championships.I believe this pic was from Vail back bowls.He was at Breck also.Still looks pretty good to me.

Attachments

• robpickard.jpg
    robpickard.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

dlague

A couple friend were at Beaver Creek last week to watch the FIS campionships.I believe this pic was from Vail back bowls.He was at Breck also.Still looks pretty good to me.

Hey, 2-3 ft base PP is not different than 4-5 ft PP. As long as the base is there it is good to go. If you are hunting for powder, good luck!

reefer

Having skied both north and south, the snow cover is excellent all around - and everyone seems to be wide open. The one difference I've noticed is that when the steep stuff gets scraped off, down south (at magic) it's most likely scraped down to bulletproof, and further north (Burke, MRG) it gets scraped down to dirt.

Great observation! I know form Killington down to Mt. Snow, underneath they are sealed in an ice cube. Hopefully that bodes well for the spring and inhibits the melting as fast.

skiNEwhere

Has anyone skied Breck this month yet? I'm going next weekend. Should I try to postpone this or will it still be better than East Coast?

Depends on your definition of "better". If better means 100% open with spring like snow, you'll be happy.

If "better" means being able to find powder, or ski typical CO snow you'd find in the winter, you'll be disappointed

C-Rex

All I know is I've barely heard my board scrape since the thaw. I've been able to find fresh tracks just about every time out since the holidays. And it appears that this pattern of dumps is going to continue for a while. I'm a happy boy. Nuff said.

bman1

Depends on your definition of "better". If better means 100% open with spring like snow, you'll be happy.

If "better" means being able to find powder, or ski typical CO snow you'd find in the winter, you'll be disappointed

I was in Zermatt end of February last year and it was amazing. My first true powder experience. One day it was like swimming in it! I don't expect that in Breck. I've never skied Colorado so I'm just expecting good not great. Either way its bigger mountains right?

bdfreetuna

A couple friend were at Beaver Creek last week to watch the FIS campionships.I believe this pic was from Vail back bowls.He was at Breck also.Still looks pretty good to me.

They should plant some trees in those bowls ... keep it interesting!

bigbog

Lots of smaller/similar mountains outside of the resorts!...but closer to the coast have deeper, but the pitch, unfortunately, is nothing like the terrain Out West(ie from Bethel/Farmington/Kingfield/Skowhegan....westward/NW to the borders)..

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

Great observation! I know form Killington down to Mt. Snow, underneath they are sealed in an ice cube. Hopefully that bodes well for the spring and inhibits the melting as fast.

Agree. Not to wish away the amazing conditions we have right now, but I'm hoping spring will be every bit as good as this winter is shaping up to be!