• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The best sking is found in the Northeast right now?

snoseek

Your right SS. It's just one of those years where the east makes out better then the west (happens from time to time) and also a year where we need to take advantage of that. Thus we will probably be holding off going to Utah and saving it for another year when the opposite will be true (and you know that will happen, probably sooner then later).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Good move, no need to travel if not needed.

catsup948

I've had some of my best days ever lately, last Monday at Berkshire east, Friday at Black of Maine and Monday again at Berkshire East. This pattern doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. Soft snow skiing for weeks!

mbedle

Stowe's condition the past two weeks have been the best I have ever seen. I have a buddy out at Aspen for a carving get-together and he called me on Saturday to ask how conditions were up here. Told him we got 60 inches at the peak over the last two weeks. I asked him how Aspen was and all he could say was pretty. Daytime highs in the 40s and they expected rain on Monday or Sunday. As always, things will change and we'll have our snow droughts and warm winters return. Enjoy it while we can!

C-Rex

I was in Zermatt end of February last year and it was amazing. My first true powder experience. One day it was like swimming in it! I don't expect that in Breck. I've never skied Colorado so I'm just expecting good not great. Either way its bigger mountains right?

Yeah, Breck is pretty damned big. And when I was there the new peak wasn't part of it yet. You can definitely ski a week and barely hit the same stuff twice. When I was there, they hadn't received any fresh in a couple weeks, but we still found plenty of stashes. If you run into that, check out the tighter trees. A lot of westerner's don't go in them so untouched stuff can be found way after a snow. I don't know what kind of skier you are, but if you like a challenge, check out The Windows. They're steep, narrow chutes cut into the woods. We had a blast in there.

What's really amazing about this winter in the east is how it's stayed nice and cold. We've had big snow totals before (admittedly not as often as we'd all like) but usually there's a warm up and freeze thrown in. This is the first time I can remember that packed powder wasn't just the last accumulation on top of ice or hardpack. It's soft for a couple feet down. Hero snow. Praise be to Ullr!!!

drjeff

They should plant some trees in those bowls ... keep it interesting!

They've got PLENTY of acres of great glade skiing in the Back Bowls of Vail! That pic you were looking at showed maybe 10 or so acres out of the literally 3000 acres spread out over about 5 MILES of ridgeline that separate the front side of Vail from the Back Bowls and Blue Sky Basin!! Unless you've seen it 1st hand on a clear day, it's really tough to grasp what a massive amount of terrain comprise the Back Bowls of Vail

C-Rex

Jay may exaggerate a bit, but they aren't reporting much more than Stowe, and I believe in Stowe's reporting 100%.

When I made my original post I think it was:

Alta 201"
Stowe 193"
Jay Peak 223"

I agree. I don't ride at Jay enough to really say but in my experience they've always been pretty accurate. They do tend to get snow when others don't. The Jay cloud is certainly a real phenomenon. I've driven up to Jay when it's been sunny and clear the whole ride up, but the mountain is socked in and it's just dumping. I think the problem with their claims is that they also get a lot of wind. So they can claim 6 inches but it looks like 2 on the trails. However in the woods or protected areas it's right on.

Wicked1

I have a problem! A first world problem... When to ski this week.

Loon or Cannon?
Ski Monday on what is left after a weekend, or ski in a snow storm on Tuesday, or see what left on Wednesday?
Ski all three days or any combination, and then evaluate?
What does the collective braintrust here think.

I like waking up old threads.
If you are working this week, do not reply with hate. ;-)

bdfreetuna

Given the choice between skiing in a potentially decent storm on Tuesday (and driving in it) *or* going skiing Wednesday after the full accumulation and potentially some tree skiing in play (and less precarious roads)... I'll be going Wednesday.

Wicked1

BD, thanks for the driving conditions concern. Hadn't considered that. I don't have to drive as far as you but, always a concern.
NOAA is predicting most snow will fall in the AM Wednesday then tapering in the afternoon.
I usually like to get out early. Tuesday may be a good day for a late start.
Watching the forecast...

JimG.

Staff member
I have a problem! A first world problem... When to ski this week.

Loon or Cannon?
Ski Monday on what is left after a weekend, or ski in a snow storm on Tuesday, or see what left on Wednesday?
Ski all three days or any combination, and then evaluate?
What does the collective braintrust here think.

I like waking up old threads.
If you are working this week, do not reply with hate. ;-)

The choice is obvious...ski all 3 days.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The choice is obvious...ski all 3 days.

wise-words-have-been-spoken-thumb.jpg

kingslug

Get it while you can..you know how it goes here in the East. Call in sick, quit your job, get out of Dodge..run to the hills.........

Edd

Just got to Wildcat. Haven’t gone up yet but it’s snowing way harder than we were expecting. Didn’t think we’d get it until later in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

Wow - this really seems to be the week. Dang. Hope everyone gets some....

skiMEbike

Get it now....Or wait till Thursday (or Friday). There will be wind issues at elevation on Weds Into Thursday.

JimG.

Staff member
Was supposed to go to Mt Snow today. Bought a $29 ticket online.

But my 15 year old woke up sick to his stomach last night and I am at the doctor's office now instead. Looks like a stomach virus.

Would not feel right going skiing and leaving my son not feeling well and my wife to take time off work to bring him to the doctor.

KustyTheKlown

first world problem, but ugh, big sky will be fun but the action is back home. hopefully this pattern of goodness continues through the end of the month. i get back 12/24, ski catskills 12/25, ski somewhere further north 12/26-28.

Edd

Jackpot at the Cat! The skiing is exceptional.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone