• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The best sking is found in the Northeast right now?

tnt1234

Smuggs is going to open Madonna on Saturday, that should be pretty untouched sans turn-earners. I'm considering doing the crazy drive up Friday night, leave late Sunday afternoon thing, as I imagine if the woods on Sterling are open, the ropes will likely be dropped on the higher-up woods like Shakedown and Docs' etc....

Will need to get some good intel from tomorrow and Friday to see how good the conditions really are. Last thing I'd want is 13 hours of driving for conditions that turn out to be like those early-season meh Lucy with the football variety.
You should go - it's gonna be sick.

BenedictGomez

You should go - it's gonna be sick.

They said on Facebook it will be "expert only" terrain on Madonna Saturday.

Does this likely mean they'll only drop ropes on black diamonds and double blacks, or does this mean everything will be open, but even the intermediates will all be ungroomed?

Because if it's the latter and not the former, that's a whole lot of awesome for me to comprehend.

Jully

They said on Facebook it will be "expert only" terrain on Madonna Saturday.

Does this likely mean they'll only drop ropes on black diamonds and double blacks, or does this mean everything will be open, but even the intermediates will all be ungroomed?

Because if it's the latter and not the former, that's a whole lot of awesome for me to comprehend.

Can't speak for what Smuggs is exactly planning on doing, but resorts almost always say that early season and it just means only experts should ski it, but blues are open.

bdfreetuna

Remember the opportunities when skiers choose to stay away in cold weather Tuna!

You must be quoting me from last year.

In that case, I went ;)

I did skip out on Killington on Tuesday because I was still kicking a cold. Probably gonna go tomorrow tho.

Believe me if closer to Northern VT I would be super motivated to be skiing regularly right now. Right now we have a great December happening but I'm sticking to the season plan. After Christmas I'll be a lot more trigger happy.

BenedictGomez

So that wound up being pretty awesome.

They put this big "EXPERTS ONLY" sign before you ski down to Madonna I, as well as posting this older ski patrol guy by the sign doing his very best trying to scare people away.

Basically he was telling everyone you need to be an expert to go to the top, there's lots of thin cover, lots of ice, and lots of exposed rocks........ none of which wound up being even remotely true.

The net effect, however, was that it kept a lot of people off Madonna the whole day with the newly dropped ropes, which was completely fantastic. It was like midwinter after a storm with lots of fresh powder. The best mid-December day I've experienced in years.

Scruffy

So that wound up being pretty awesome.

They put this big "EXPERTS ONLY" sign before you ski down to Madonna I, as well as posting this older ski patrol guy by the sign doing his very best trying to scare people away.

Basically he was telling everyone you need to be an expert to go to the top, there's lots of thin cover, lots of ice, and lots of exposed rocks........ none of which wound up being even remotely true.

The net effect, however, was that it kept a lot of people off Madonna the whole day with the newly dropped ropes, which was completely fantastic. It was like midwinter after a storm with lots of fresh powder. The best mid-December day I've experienced in years.

Thanks for the report. Good to see ya made it out before Jan.

kingslug

Sitting at the doctor office..nasty cold of course..so left Stowe when it started to rain but Jay was awesome the day before. Snowed all day, found lots of moguls to bounce around on. Very good coverage. Too bad i was alone and not willing to venture into the woods. Im sure its good in there. Stowe had very good coverage. The Goat was nice in the middle as well as National. Probably best conditions in the East right now. Off th K tomorrow for the storm.

tnt1234

Glad you guys got some. I didn't even make it to the pokes this weekend, and all holiday stuff this weekend. No skiing till the 29th at MRG, where is will be wicked, wicked cold....but hopefully soft!