• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Roofs and ice damming.

Bostonian

So today's PSA is brought you by me! In shoveling out the way to our oil fill, I noticed on the side of our house that the snow and ice have dammed up really big. Just a word of advice to all you guys, get your roofs shoveled and ice dams broken up... We have someone coming on Friday (the earliest), but it's a serious matter. Will post photos soon... But yeah this is the one thing that sucks about this epic 2 weeks of snow.

SkiFanE

So today's PSA is brought you by me! In shoveling out the way to our oil fill, I noticed on the side of our house that the snow and ice have dammed up really big. Just a word of advice to all you guys, get your roofs shoveled and ice dams broken up... We have someone coming on Friday (the earliest), but it's a serious matter. Will post photos soon... But yeah this is the one thing that sucks about this epic 2 weeks of snow.

We had ice dams about 3-4 winters ago. Luckily water just came into one set of windows, not into rooms. But husband added Insulation to the attic above that room after clearing the roof and so far, still good (knock on wood). Helps that heat upstairs rarely gets above 62* and colder weekends, well ventilated attic too.

hammer

Having someone come out to take a look today. We always get some ice on the south facing side but it's never been this bad. The attic is finished but as far as I can tell it's ventilated.

Think a part of the problem is that our bathroom fans are vented to the soffit. Will need to have that fixed in the spring.

attachment.php

Different PSA...if you have a fire hydrant near your house, make sure it's clear of snow. I don't mind clearing mine but I feel like my neighbors (who I know are able-bodied) just aren't helping.

Attachments

• 20150210_113633.jpg
    20150210_113633.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 278

Bostonian

We already have leaks in the house now... Hopeful that the insurance money (if we are to get any) will go to the restoration to any damage incurred. The amount of snow out here in the flatlands is insane...

Tin

Having someone come out to take a look today. We always get some ice on the south facing side but it's never been this bad. The attic is finished but as far as I can tell it's ventilated.

Think a part of the problem is that our bathroom fans are vented to the soffit. Will need to have that fixed in the spring.

attachment.php

Different PSA...if you have a fire hydrant near your house, make sure it's clear of snow. I don't mind clearing mine but I feel like my neighbors (who I know are able-bodied) just aren't helping.

WOW, that is no joke. Might rip the gutters off too. You should probably invest in a flame thrower.

Puck it

Put some ice melt in panty hose and lay parallel to roof line if you can get up there and invest in a roof rake

hammer

WOW, that is no joke. Might rip the gutters off too. You should probably invest in a flame thrower.
Gutters are hanging in there so far (literally!), we had them reattached a few years ago. Just hoping the roofer I have coming by today will ask a fair price and get the work done soon.

Think it's too late for DIY solutions or a residential roof rake.

Bostonian

I do own a roof rake, but because our house is close to the street and power lines, I am hesitant to use it that close... I will take photos when I get home today. I have been raking the back of the house, but still, the amount of snow and ice damming has caused significant damage already. We will have to get rid of our wooden gutters too which I love, but it does suck that as much as I love this snow, it's hurting our house.

Savemeasammy

Think it's too late for DIY solutions or a residential roof rake.

I am cleaning a roof for a customer today. If you have an extension ladder and a roof rake, you might be able to get it. This ice dam is much smaller, but water is still getting inside.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423670610.861745.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puck it

I have five extenstion on my roof rake and I can reach every side of my roof from the ground. Some sides less than others. I bought it on Amazon last year

Abominable

I have a new (to me) house, first time homeowner, and this has concerned me as well. I definitely have some spots where the drainage (gutters, downspouts and under house drainage carrying water away from house) have frozen, and I definitely have my share of icicles, although nowhere near as bad a the pictures shown (or my neighbors). I also keep the house at about 55 degrees, crawlspace well insulated and ventilated (COLD up there).

So... when do I start to panic? I've examined the crawlspace, no obvious water. No obvious water in walls or windows. Gutters still on and not pulling away. But snow is certainly melting and refreezing daily and the problem is getting worse.

I suppose I should buy a roof rake. I like this pantyhose idea as well. I guess there's no excuse not to at least rake the roof.... so, sort of just thinking out loud.

But, the damage was obvious, I imagine?

Puck it

I have a new (to me) house, first time homeowner, and this has concerned me as well. I definitely have some spots where the drainage (gutters, downspouts and under house drainage carrying water away from house) have frozen, and I definitely have my share of icicles, although nowhere near as bad a the pictures shown (or my neighbors). I also keep the house at about 55 degrees, crawlspace well insulated and ventilated (COLD up there).

So... when do I start to panic? I've examined the crawlspace, no obvious water. No obvious water in walls or windows. Gutters still on and not pulling away. But snow is certainly melting and refreezing daily and the problem is getting worse.

I suppose I should buy a roof rake. I like this pantyhose idea as well. I guess there's no excuse not to at least rake the roof.... so, sort of just thinking out loud.

But, the damage was obvious, I imagine?

If you have only a small amount of ice than don't worry. Get a roof rake and clear the forst two to three from roof edge. Northly sides will the worse since no direct sun.

Abominable

If you have only a small amount of ice than don't worry. Get a roof rake and clear the forst two to three from roof edge. Northly sides will the worse since no direct sun.

Will do, thanks. It's funny as a new homeowner, I feel the inclination to panic at every opportunity, but I got to remember the place has stood there for more than a hundred years, so I hope it will outlast me. I also feel silly asking things which should be common sense, but when you have no experience, it's difficult to tell what is a disaster requiring immediate remediation and what is only an inconvenience.

Also, Bostonian, thanks for bringing this up, and sorry to hear it's getting in the way of skiing.

Savemeasammy

^Ice damming isn't directly related to gutters. If there is too much heat loss in your attic, the snow will melt from the bottom. The water flows down the roof and freezes at the bottom of the roof (the soffit area stays colder). The ice dam grows from the bottom up.

Puck it

I have no gutters on my house....am I likely to not have significant ice damming?
I have no gutters too. North side of my house is the problem. I never use to have a problem that I was aware of. I am not sure wait has to changed to make it worse.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

I have no gutters too. North side of my house is the problem. I have used to have a problem that I was aware of. I am not sure wait has to changed to make it worse.

Scotty? Is that you?