• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Roofs and ice damming.

Puck it

We don't speak arabic on alpinezone.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ISIS. We have been hacked!!! Or are they recruiting us?

No it is an Islamic hypocrit.

فيديوهات سكسthis translates to sex videos.

Geoff

I'm not too concerned about ice dams at my summer house. The thermostat for the bedrooms is off and the thermostat for the rest of the house is set to 50. There is good ventilation with a button vent in the soffit and a plastic channel in every bay between the rafters. It's a new roof with proper ice & water shield and the EPDM flat rubber roof part goes 36" up the pitched part. Most of the roof has new or sistered rafters.

The 10x10 flat roof area got shoveled off on Friday before the last storm and had a couple of feet of snow pack. It was reframed from underneath 5 years ago and the roof deck replaced when new EPDM was installed 18 months ago. It was probably OK but after all the money I've dumped into the house, I slept better knowing I wasn't going to have a snow loading issue.

15927521014_5ee3600439_c.jpg

ctenidae

Worked from home on Wednesday, and went around checking the 3rd floor gutters (really 2 foot eaves, but who's counting?). Outside a window on a NW side, had about 4 inches of water pooled because the downspout was behind a 6 foot long pile of ice. I cut out a lot of it, and scraped off the snow sun could do some work. Scary to think what a 2X6X.5 chunk of ice weighs, and what having it hang off the roof does.

Was in Palm Beach the past two days, so don't know if the sun melted anything. Palm Beach was nice today, though. I got hot eating lunch. Which is nice.

Bostonian

An update of sorts...

So we had water in our house, I was able to get the snow off our roof. But... now we need to get the water re-mediated. So now I have to hire a general contractor (to open the wall), with the water remediation team doing their job too.

Not a fun process.

freeski

It's been cold in New England. Wait until we hit the freeze/thaw weather which is coming up then you're going to see the water damage. Also, I have 6' snow banks on part of my driveway which will turn into an icy mess.