• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Roofs and ice damming.

o3jeff

I've taken the preventive maintenance stance the past few years and roof rake after pretty much every storm of a couple inches. I'm lucky, I have a single story ranch and takes me about 15 minutes to do. Also make a path around the perimeter of house with the snowblower to keep the snow away from the foundation for water problems.

o3jeff

If it was warmer out you could hook a garden hose to the hot water supply of your washing machine and use it to melt/loosen the ice dams to make it easier to remove them. Drawback is that it makes a mess on the ground!

freeski

Wow.....gas line, holy crap !

Only way I can get around my yard is with Snowshoes......Crazy shit ! My house is a ranch, went around back and it looked like i had a full dormer ! 3 + Feet of snow up there.....shoveled that off last night. So far no ice dams......knock on wood !
I wear snowshoes when I rake the snow off the roof these days. I've had to do it a couple of other winters. Yep, when you're walking around the house on snowshoes because there's no other way it is crazy shit.

Puck it

I wear snowshoes when I rake the snow off the roof these days. I've had to do it a couple of other winters. Yep, when you're walking around the house on snowshoes because there's no other way it is crazy shit.

I use my skins instead of.

bigbog

I have five extenstion on my roof rake and I can reach every side of my roof from the ground. Some sides less than others. I bought it on Amazon last year

5 !..WoW that's nice...no options but two(locally bought).. Think I'll check up on the fitting dimensions to add more extensions, if possible(probably only in my dreams!).

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I have a similar ladder...aren't they a bit heavy to try to use as an extension ladder?

Yes , but with one person on either side and a small clear area
You can go straight up and not have to shovel a larger area for a conventional extension type.
The weight is part of what makes them stable.
There excellent for working over un even places.

Puck it

North side of my house is free of ice. South side has some ice. This is not norm for my house.

Cannonball

It's been pretty cold, is your heat on higher than average?

I slowed my ice dams considerably in the past 24 hours. I disconnected the heating duct the goes to the 2nd floor. This has majorly decreased the heat leaking through the attic and eaves. This almost eliminates the melting part of the equation needed for ice dams.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
A quick poll , just curious , How many of you that have ice dams have brown trim?
A friend of mine made the comment years ago he sees very little ice on homes with dark trim.
I have a porch attached to the front of my house and brown trim , very little ice.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I shoveed myu farmer's porch yesterday but can't reach the high stuff. Threw some magnesium chloride in a nylon up there today. We'll see if that helps. Also tossed a few cupfulls of it up on the roof, probaby a waste of time but whatever. It's just in this one spot over my daughter's room that is getting water.

Is this only a problem if you don't have ice& water shield installed?

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I shoveed myu farmer's porch yesterday but can't reach the high stuff. Threw some magnesium chloride in a nylon up there today. We'll see if that helps. Also tossed a few cupfulls of it up on the roof, probaby a waste of time but whatever. It's just in this one spot over my daughter's room that is getting water.

Is this only a problem if you don't have ice& water shield installed?
Check the insulation above her room in the attic.