• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So, are tree wells an issue in the Northeast now?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I get it's usually around evergreens and such but with snowpack so high is it more of an issue than in other years?

I know all kinds of records are being broken across the Northeast but does this include ski country?

deadheadskier

Staff member
No. We don't have the giant everygreen trees needed to create the problem IMO. 2000-2001 was a record winter in the North and it wasn't an issue then. I don't see it as an issue now.

Puck it

I have gotten stuck in tree well at Mitty. It was a moderate size Spruce but nothing like the west though.

bdfreetuna

Got stuck upside down in one at Mt Ellen a few years back. I managed to dig out but it took a while.

Upside down halfway busted through the snow and ice on top of a stream at Magic is still my #1 upside down ski fail though.

benski

When I was about 10 I got stuck in a tree well at in extermination woods at mt Ellen. Almost lost my ski.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

goldsbar

I've never had an issue in the East...or the West. This seems to happen only in certain places like the PNW and maybe the Sierras?.

tekweezle

uploadfromtaptalk1423927881756.jpgI don't think my friend was in any danger but we surprised he fell in so deep.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

The Sneak

I've been stuck in trees at both Stowe and Burke in years past. Then again, I'm a retard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Got stuck upside down in a tree well in Bravo Woods at Ellen a few years back. My brother had to pull me out. Wow... that makes three of us in this thread who found tree wells there! But the upper mountain does have a lot of evergreens.

Always good to be aware of the dangers of non-avalanche-related-snow-immersion, east, west, north, south, or wherever.

slipshod

You can get into trouble anyplace that has evergreen trees and ample snowfall. A few years ago a friend of mine fell very awkwardly into a tree well while XC skiing in the Algoma District east of Lake Superior, a place that can get huge dumps of lake-effect snow. There is no way he could have escaped if he'd been alone.

Bene288

I was skiing with Kleetus at Jay a few years ago and I fell into one. Not even a ton of fresh snow. They're out there for sure.

bigbog

Treewells not a problem outside the resorts up here in Maine....
The accumulation has gotten windblown solidified(aka Sierra Cement) up here so much that an ice axe and crampons could work without any difficulty...
Fwiw...from experience tekweezle isn't exaggerating. Not this winter but have wandered off of a groomer or two @Sunday River, back in the 1990s, only to sink to the hips...

mikestaple

I've had the good fortune to ski Steamboat a few times. And one of the first things I do with the kids out there is get them up Storm peak. There is a monster evergreen right off the lift. It always has a nice 10 foot wide 6 foot deep, at least, tree well. Scare the beejesus out of them with some harsh chatter at them about tree wells. Impressive and a real threat out West. Haven't really seen them in the East.