• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Hale - 05/29/04

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Date(s) Hiked: 05/29/04

Trails(s) Hiked: Hale Brook - Lend-a-Hand - Twinway - Zealand

Total Distance: 7.7 mi

Difficulty: Moderate (early elevation gain)

Conditions: FREAKIN COLD, with gusty winds and light flurries at the top

Special Required Equipment: Gloves, hat, windbreaker, long johns

Trip Report:

My first hike of the season, as well as my first solo hike, went generally well.

Certainly the first hour of this hike was more difficult than the rest. Hale Brook Trail wastes no time in getting to altitude.

The views of the waterfalls on the way up were fantastic, as well as the foliage. Some white flowers along the trail particularly stood out.

Once I hit the switchbacks, I put my windbreaker and gloves on. By the time I hit the top of the switchbacks, the wind and the cold had come in full force. I stopped prior to reaching the peak to strip down and don my long johns. Shortly afterwards, I passed an older couple coming down who wore shorts on the peak; their legs were raw and red from the cold wind at the top.

The peak is just that, a flat peak area with a ring of trees and the remains of a fire tower. Some other peaks were barely visible above the tree line; but in general, not much a view.

Lend-a-Hand gives some interesting hikes through quiet birches and pines with little ground brush. It was here that it started to dawn on me that the tiny white things floating down may not be pollen, but rather, snow.

A number of log bridges are laid out in the swampy area along the trail. In some sections, they almost appear like railroad tracks stretching into the forest.

Zealand Hut was a nice break. I was SO disappointed to find out that they were not full service yet. I had planned on having lunch there. :( A snickers bar and a cup of tea made up my lunch. I dawdled too long, enjoying the conversation and the view. I was pleased to know I only had about 600' of drop left before as I embarked on the long winding Zealand trail.

Zealand was a great trail winding alternatively through woods and open valleys with beaver ponds and peaks in the background. I saw many dayhikers heading the other way towards the hut from the road. Quite a few groups of younger kids making the trail hike in, some running the trail, even. I got some looks that seemed to say "Why is this guy so exhausted? There's nothing to this trail!" If only they knew...

I had one mile left when I hit the road at the Zealand Trail parking area. The gusting winds and cold were relentless, making this a difficult mile, even on a dirt road. Many times I considered sticking out my thumb to a passing car, but stuck with the road til the end.

I have pictures and 3 movies available here, but they are in no particular order nor named yet. I'll be adding some context to these soon.

-Stephen

Greg

Staff member
I think I saw a Yeti in one of your movies. ;)

MtnMagic

Great hike and report.

Did you know that rocks at the summit are a little magnetic?

I thought I saw a gnome in one!

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
MtnMagic said:
Great hike and report.

Did you know that rocks at the summit are a little magnetic?

I thought I saw a gnome in one!

Could this be why my GPS altitude was off by over 300' (read 3700' at the peak!), even though I had stong signal to 4 sattelites?! :eek:

-Stephen