• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you wear a helmet?

Quietman

Due to the deep snow pack in S NH, I took a couple of head shots from low hanging branches in the glades in the last couple of days. Glad that I could duck a little and take it off the helmet. Its warm and comfortable, don't even think about not using it.

VTKilarney

The head of the school said he will quit teaching if they require helmet during teaching. I will stop teaching beginners if they require helmet. Simple as that!!!
You are making this all about you when it should be about your students. If you are teaching my child I expect you to teach safety by example. Safety is just as important a lesson as learning how to make a wedge. Kids are going to want to emulate their instructor. I'd like to think that your not so fragile that you can keep a helmet on your head even if it makes you a little warm. But in your world the instructor can't be inconvenienced in the slightest. That's just unacceptable and they must maintain their honor by being a quitter. Simple as that!!!

JDMRoma

But I'm not skiing any faster than walking when I'm teaching beginners! So explain to me why I need to wear a helmet again?

More over, it will set a great example when the student see their instructor is taking the helmet off half of the lesson!

Do you? I would recommend it, to anyone who cross the street without wearing a helmet.

Well, much do you want to put down? And how much "time" you want the bet to belol!!!

Natasha Richardson.... Just standing there. If she was wearing one she would be alive today

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Cannonball

The head of the school said he will quit teaching if they require helmet during teaching. I will stop teaching beginners if they require helmet. Simple as that.

I wasn't really agreeing with you in this thread, but figured to each their own. But hearing that a ski school program at a mountain is actually, expressly ANTI-helmet is just insane! What other safety features is your program against?

bigbog

Use Smith's Variance. Works well yet I'll put a mod to it(probably void the warranty;-)) but make much more comfortable instead of just the single hard(high-density) foam.

abc

Natasha Richardson.... Just standing there. If she was wearing one she would be alive today

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
That's the best argument

I walk from my office to my car without helmet. I walk from the far edge of the parking lot to the mall entrance without helmet. I also don't see any single person in any of those parking lot wearing helmet. Right now, the parking lots are full of ice and snow..

If Richardson falls on a parking lot, would she had died? Quite likely!

So, any of you wear a helmet going to the mall? When you do, I will wear one teaching beginners!

II'll come back to this thread in a couple decade to see who took up that challenge!!!

abc

I wasn't really agreeing with you in this thread, but figured to each their own. But hearing that a ski school program at a mountain is actually, expressly ANTI-helmet is just insane! What other safety features is your program against?
Just anti-mandatory-helmet, as far as I know.

There's difference in anti-something vs anti-mandatory that same thing.

I admit I unfortunately live in a society where a large group of people can't tell that difference! Sad, but true.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For Pete's sake abc will you please think of the children! Maybe you can shave your head and get a helmet tattoo.

C-Rex

How long before people start wearing HANS devices and spine protectors too? The downhill biking community has seen a big surge in their use.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I believe snowmonster wore a spine protector when he skied. He also did a lot of solo BC type stuff, so I could see his desire for extra protection.

VTKilarney

That's the best argument

I walk from my office to my car without helmet. I walk from the far edge of the parking lot to the mall entrance without helmet. I also don't see any single person in any of those parking lot wearing helmet. Right now, the parking lots are full of ice and snow..

So, any of you wear a helmet going to the mall? When you do, I will wear one teaching beginners!

II'll come back to this thread in a couple decade to see who took up that challenge!!!
False analogy. When you are walking to hang out in the mall you aren't acting as a role model and educator of children. You chose to be a teacher. You should start acting like one.

dlague

That's the best argument

Hey you are on to something! We need to have the government get in on this debate and mandate people wear helmets all the time while walking around not just in action sports!

JDMRoma

That's the best argument

Ive taken some falls on my driveway I wish I had been wearing a helmet......Bottom line its your head.....do with it what you want !

I shoveled my roof tonight.......so as to not be a hypocrite I wore my helmet just for ABC !

gmcunni

False analogy. When you are walking to hang out in the mall you aren't acting as a role model and educator of children. You chose to be a teacher. You should start acting like one.
ha.. .with recent headlines indicating teachers are molesting children in schools setting a bad example by not wearing a helmet doesn't seem so bad

abc

The false analogy is yours.

I'm not an "educator". I'm paid as little as a nanny and have responsibility as such! They learned to ski too, BTW.

Even if I were paid as much as a teacher, there're still area I'm not expected to be a "role model". If I'm teaching math, I'm NOT a role model with my bad writing. And vice verse.

Role model? It's up to the parents to teach them who to model after on which behavior, rather than automatically model after EVERY BEHAVIOR of whomever they drop their kids off at.

There lies the mistake too many parents make! They blame sports figure or other celebrity for their bad behavior that would negatively influence their children! For god's sake, those are entertainers! (to some degree, so am I, to entertain your kid for 90 min).

So, tell your kids WHY they must wear a helmet when others don't. Or tell them they have to because you say so. A positive influence is nice add-on, but any parent who rely on such random "influence" as the primary source for shaping the kids' behavior will likely be disappointed.

Perhaps you can tip your kid's ski instructor extra when they DO wear a helmet? Now that you know it takes extra effort to do so.

Last edited:

VTKilarney

The false analogy is yours.

I'm not an "educator". I'm paid as little as a nanny and have responsibility as such! They learned to ski too, BTW.

Even if I were paid as much as a teacher, there're still area I'm not expected to be a "role model". If I'm teaching math, I'm NOT a role model with my bad writing. And vice verse.

Role model? It's up to the parents to teach them who to model after on which behavior, rather than automatically model after EVERY BEHAVIOR of whomever they drop their kids off at.

There lies the mistake too many parents make! They blame sports figure or other celebrity for their bad behavior that would negatively influence their children! For god's sake, those are entertainers! (to some degree, so am I, to entertain your kid for 90 min).

So, tell your kids WHY they must wear a helmet when others don't. Or tell them they have to because you say so. A positive influence is nice add-on, but any parent who rely on such random "influence" as the primary source for shaping the kids' behavior will likely be disappointed.

Perhaps you can tip your kid's ski instructor extra when they DO wear a helmet? Now that you know it takes extra effort to do so.

Great attitude.