• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you wear a helmet?

catskillman

"warm" is THE problem!!!

It's far too hot when you're skating uphill while your students ride up on the magic carpet every time!

Then take it off while you skate, and put it back on. Do you have LTC insurance? I would recommend it.

Hawkshot99

How long do folks hang onto their helmets before replacing? I think I've got 8 years on mine. Dented all over but still works great.

5yrs, or a hard impact. Every one of those dents, is a spot where you have had a decent impact. The foam is compressed behind the shell, and will not fully protect your head like it was designed.

C-Rex

5yrs, or a hard impact. Every one of those dents, is a spot where you have had a decent impact. The foam is compressed behind the shell, and will not fully protect your head like it was designed.

Yep, that's the general rule. Some companies, like Giro, have a crash replacement deal where you can get a new one at a discounted rate after a slam.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Wifey and I finally got helmets this year. We were never anti-helmet, just became a cost issue. A helmet = a days lift ticket.

What finally prompted us to get them this year is that our son started skiing. Had to set an example.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I'll take your word for it, however I doubt those little dents have compromised the helmet that much. Those are all dings from hitting branches, not dents from actually crashes. I added the one above the M in the photo below just this past Sunday. I'm sure the helmet doesn't function like new, but those small branch dents hardly seem like cause for replacement.

Attachments

• 1424196336010.jpg
    1424196336010.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 72

Hawkshot99

I'll take your word for it, however I doubt those little dents have compromised the helmet that much. Those are all dings from hitting branches, not dents from actually crashes. I added the one above the M in the photo below just this past Sunday. I'm sure the helmet doesn't function like new, but those small branch dents hardly seem like cause for replacement.

Most likely you are fine with it.....I prefer to buy a helmet with a hard outer shell, rather than the the paper thin shell like you have there. Yes the thicker shell does weigh more, but glancing blows like you describe do not cause dents, just scratches.

BenedictGomez

How long do folks hang onto their helmets before replacing? I think I've got 8 years on mine. Dented all over but still works great.

That should have been replaced long ago. Little scrapes are no big deal, but dents decrease the helmets effectiveness, and that helmet seems to have an impressive collection on tiny dents.

Edd

Probably just molded to the natural shape of your head.

catskillman

Huh?

"Take it off" and put where???
For real???? Close the strap and hold it in your hand with your pole. Your skating uphill remember, not going much faster than if you were walking. Sounds like you are just trying to come up with more reasons to justify the craziness of your decision not to wear it. It is just a matter of time before your mountain, whatever it is, requires you to wear the helmet whenever you are in uniform I'll bet.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've been using mine for 3 years now and may be 1 or 2 very minor dents but still in pretty good shape. I would bet "days out" is more important than actual age, no? Or UV damage...

Either way, we are all better off than being helmet-less

Smellytele

I've been using mine for 3 years now and may be 1 or 2 very minor dents but still in pretty good shape. I would bet "days out" is more important than actual age, no? Or UV damage...

Either way, we are all better off than being helmet-less
The dent when you hit the tree in that video you posted?

prsboogie

Wifey and I finally got helmets this year. We were never anti-helmet, just became a cost issue. A helmet = a days lift ticket.

What finally prompted us to get them this year is that our son started skiing. Had to set an example.

+1 do as I do not as I say!!! Goes a long way

witch hobble

When I was young and fast I would always wear one, sometimes two, in order to feel protected and last longer. Then, when I started venturing into unexplored (or at least "new to me") territory, they would give me peace of mind that nothing was gonna happen to me with any long term consequences. Now that I've settled into the comfortable routine of mid-life, I find them a bit redundant and prefer the freedom and sensation of going without.

wait, are we talking about helmets?

prsboogie

When I was young and fast I would always wear one, sometimes two, in order to feel protected and last longer. Then, when I started venturing into unexplored (or at least "new to me") territory, they would give me peace of mind that nothing was gonna happen to me with any long term consequences. Now that I've settled into the comfortable routine of mid-life, I find them a bit redundant and prefer the freedom and sensation of going without.

wait, are we talking about helmets?

Wait, what? 🙌

abc

Sounds like you are just trying to come up with more reasons to justify the craziness of your decision not to wear it.
Or you refuse to give in to REASON to justify the craziness of your BELIEVE that everyone must wear it under all circumstance.

Your skating uphill remember, not going much faster than if you were walking.
But I'm not skiing any faster than walking when I'm teaching beginners! So explain to me why I need to wear a helmet again?

More over, it will set a great example when the student see their instructor is taking the helmet off half of the lesson!

Do you have LTC insurance? I would recommend it.
Do you? I would recommend it, to anyone who cross the street without wearing a helmet.

It is just a matter of time before your mountain, whatever it is, requires you to wear the helmet whenever you are in uniform I'll bet.
Well, how much do you want to put down? And how much "time" you want the bet to be?

The head of the school said he will quit teaching if they require helmet during teaching. I will stop teaching beginners if they require helmet. Simple as that.

your elbow, right where i would keep my brain bucket while riding my motorcycle in ri  before i sold it.
lol!!!

Last edited: