• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dartmouth Skiway--Tuck Winter Carnival

xwhaler

Thinking of heading to the Skiway on Saturday as an under the radar place to avoid holiday crowds.
Just noticed that the Tuck Winter Carnival is there on Sat. Any local intel on how crazy the mtn gets?
Rather not be waiting on long lines or have the lodge be jammed with a bunch of grad students and alumni.

Website says 600 MBA's from various top schools descend on Dartmouth College for the wknd festivities. With I'm sure many of them making it to the mtn for the Saturday events.
Skiway with even an additional 300 ppl in the lodge/trails would not be the place for my family group.

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
The campus isn't anywhere near the mountain itself - still it's within striking distance. Not thrilled with the possibility of skiing with a crowd of people infinitely more financially successful than I. Then again you always run that risk there. Great little place. I would think the new lodge should handle that crowd pretty well.

medfordmike

It has been over 10 years since I was a Tuck student but the Carnival for Tuck is pretty low key at the mountain. A lot of students don't attend the mountain events (there are also hockey games, etc.). At least back when I was there they had events and food under a big tent at the Skiway. So overall it should not be a huge impact if things are more or less the same. The Skiway is fun. I tried to go there today but they had the chair on Holts closed due to the winds. Winslow is nice but not worth the trip on its own.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thinking of heading to the Skiway on Saturday as an under the radar place to avoid holiday crowds.
Just noticed that the Tuck Winter Carnival is there on Sat. Any local intel on how crazy the mtn gets?
Rather not be waiting on long lines or have the lodge be jammed with a bunch of grad students and alumni.

Website says 600 MBA's from various top schools descend on Dartmouth College for the wknd festivities. With I'm sure many of them making it to the mtn for the Saturday events.
Skiway with even an additional 300 ppl in the lodge/trails would not be the place for my family group.

Well, if it is just Tuck, I would not expect it to be too big of a deal. I remember when I lived in the UV that Tuck did have their own thing but it was not too big. If it was THE Dartmouth Winter Carnival, then it will be a zoo. Tuck students are mainly interested in drinking, dinner parties, and socializing in town rather than skiing.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
It has been over 10 years since I was a Tuck student but the Carnival for Tuck is pretty low key at the mountain. A lot of students don't attend the mountain events (there are also hockey games, etc.). At least back when I was there they had events and food under a big tent at the Skiway. So overall it should not be a huge impact if things are more or less the same. The Skiway is fun. I tried to go there today but they had the chair on Holts closed due to the winds. Winslow is nice but not worth the trip on its own.

In that case then ..... that's where I'll be Saturday. .....

Either that or Burke. I'll have a long week at work to think about it.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Good to hear it won't be a giant sh-show. Probably decide last minute on either Skiway, Magic or gasp Okemo (to ski closest to house and ski with family/friends all day!)

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Seems the Winter Fest was 2 weeks ago. We missed it! Dayum! About the most exciting thing going on at Dartmouth this weekend is the Men's basketball team goes against UPenn. Think any of those guys ski when coach isn't looking?