• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 2/15/15

dlague

We decided early on that if the lifts were spinning we would make the trek. We knew it was going to be cold and windy so we dressed accordingly. On the way up the roads were in tough shape in areas south of Tilton and improved as we went north. The wind and light snow on the road made for interesting visibility at times. We arrived at the base with temps around -6 without wind chill and reported -30 at the summit and around -20 at the base including wind chill. We entered Notchview to a practically empty room. Peabody Lift had no line so the cold temps were working in our favor.

We geared up and while still heated up from getting dressed opted to take Peabody Lift. It seemed calm almost going up. Wind at the base was exactly as the report said NW wind that favors lift operation with minimal wind at the base. It was all at higher elevation. As we neared the top terminal, the winds made their presence felt. We skied Middle Cannon->Rock Garden->Lower Cannon and found that the wind was blowing up and across the trails and they were biting. While Middle Cannon was wind blow in spots Rock Garden and Lower Cannon had loose powder on PP and skied very well. We opted to ski down to Eagle Cliff Lift to go back up and ski down Gary's. Gary's was really nice with powder bumps to the right and loose powder on PP on the rest of the trail. Rocket was the same. I do like the drop in section of Rocket which is fun to catch some air on. The front trails were blocked from the wind and we decided to ski those for the day. Zoomer looked scraped off in the middle but actually skied very well. The bumps on that trail under the chair were well spaced and had nice snow. Pauli's Folly and Avalanche skied pretty well with soft snow or powder bumps forming but nothing too dramatic. Banshee was natural. Lakeview skied pretty well and had new snow since I last skied that trail (probably blown in by winds). I like that glade.

After lunch (now -4 at the base), we did another run from Peabody but this time Middle and Lower Ravine. While the trails were in great shape the winds over there were not much better. We went back to the front trails and skied the rest of our time there. Never even attempted the Summit.

Overall a great day considering the temps and winds. Layering and having proper protection - face masks, hand warmers etc. makes the difference.

There were quite a few tourist there from Europe and Asia. They were being given tours of the mountain with guides (alternative use for ski instructors). Lots of group lessons over on the Tuckerbrook side. Saw a few jackets that said Russian Olympic Team. There was a point where I wish I had my phone ready - There was a group of about 20 kids maybe 5-10 years old being guided around and all dressed in bright gear. We were on the Zoomer Lift and all of a sudden the whole group ascended on Zoomer Lift Line skiing the bumps in chaos - looked like something out of a Warren Miller Movie. Most entertaining part of the day, well besides some of the whack jobs that come out to play on vacation weeks. Those stories to be told while drinking beer in the Pub.

I have to note that the food is pretty good at Cannonball Pub.

Temp at time of departure in the parking lot 0F.

Picture taking was limited - hands would get cold!

Zoomer Lift Line
20150215_132030_resized.jpg

Zoomer Middle
20150215_132021_resized.jpg

Zoomer From Bottom
20150215_131732_resized.jpg

Looking Up Avalanche where everyone crosses to Banshee Got pretty scraped off there, then again it always does.
photo 2.jpg

Another from Zoomer
20150215_130935_resized.jpg

Cannonball

Nice report! Good for you for braving Cannon.

We were headed there early yesterday, on track to catch the first tram. But we were sliding all over the road. Our Forester is still really new (~3Kmiles). I was surprised by how much we were sliding around. Did you find it really slippery too? Or are our tires just horrible??? It was so bad that we didn't risk driving into the Notch. We ended up skiing Loon instead. Which was surprisingly awesome.

dlague

We were headed there early yesterday, on track to catch the first tram. But we were sliding all over the road. Our Forester is still really new (~3Kmiles). I was surprised by how much we were sliding around. Did you find it really slippery too? Or are our tires just horrible??? It was so bad that we didn't risk driving into the Notch. We ended up skiing Loon instead. Which was surprisingly awesome.

Well we did not get there until 9 or so maybe the roads were a little better? I also drive a pretty heavy SUV with wide tires. My wife thinks that I am a little too aggressive with respect to winter driving but we kept it around 60 sometimes 70 except when there was a cop behind me and I drove 45.

I was surprised how nice the roads were on the way home! NH does great work after a storm.

steamboat1

You'd be surprised at how much better Subi's handle with a good set of snow tires.

dlague

Damn Cannon skiers' inability to make good bumps (puck it). Didn't mess with mitty?

No, was not sure what it was like and it was my wife. We both skied over there before Christmas and are looking forward to going back.

dlague

I buy Goodyear Fortera HL tires for my SUV - one of the cheapest tires I could find in this size (P265/50R20) and they work great!

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com

I went yesterday too, didn't have any issues slipping at all. Only problems I had with the drive were with visibility when other vehicles, especially trucks were throwing up tons of snow.

What! No photos of Tramline?

I did Tramline a few times in the morning, snow was pretty awesome on it...I thought it would be more tracked out than it was but there was plenty of untouched. Definitely the best runs of my day. I wish I took pics but it was too cold to take off my gloves.