• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lost Hiker in WMNF Found Dead

hammer

And skiers/riders never go driving out in blizzard conditions or a major snowstorm to get to a mountain for a powder day...and don't say it's OK just because one has AWD and winter tires...

Unfortunately, enthusiasts in many sports will take risks, some worse than others.

AdironRider

And skiers/riders never go driving out in blizzard conditions or a major snowstorm to get to a mountain for a powder day...and don't say it's OK just because one has AWD and winter tires...

Unfortunately, enthusiasts in many sports will take risks, some worse than others.

Go back to your Nanny State in the flatlands of Massachusetts. These scenarios are not even remotely close.

JDMRoma

Death by mountain.

Maybe she had an incurable illness.

That's exactly what I was thinking !
Something was wrong somewhere..... Work / health or marriage !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mlctvt

anybody who is planning to hike the Presidentials even in summer should read the book "Not Without Peril: 150 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire". Its a great book explaining each death in the region over the last 150 years. One guy died in the same area this woman died in the Summer of 1986 in a snow-storm!
My wife and I had to turn back from a Mount Adams hike in July due to incredible wind and below freezing cold. That as before we read the book! We were not prepared.

thetrailboss

Staff member
anybody who is planning to hike the Presidentials even in summer should read the book "Not Without Peril: 150 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire". Its a great book explaining each death in the region over the last 150 years. One guy died in the same area this woman died in the Summer of 1986 in a snow-storm!
My wife and I had to turn back from a Mount Adams hike in July due to incredible wind and below freezing cold. That as before we read the book! We were not prepared.

That is a very good book even if it is grim.

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
Here's an interesting and fairly plausible take on what might have gone wrong from one of the climbing guides on Mt. Washington.

http://nealpinestart.com/2015/02/18/a-young-climber-perishes-on-mt-adams/

He indicates he has guided groups to the top in similar conditions and that a trip up there wasn't "per se" insane.

Second, he points out the change in forecast wind direction and how that made a big difference in the difficulty of the hike itself, and the emergency egress route.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Death by mountain. Maybe she had an incurable illness.

You know.....that has happened before. Multiple times. This guy's death was particularly controversial.

That's exactly what I was thinking !
Something was wrong somewhere..... Work / health or marriage !

Here's an interesting and fairly plausible take on what might have gone wrong from one of the climbing guides on Mt. Washington.

http://nealpinestart.com/2015/02/18/a-young-climber-perishes-on-mt-adams/

He indicates he has guided groups to the top in similar conditions and that a trip up there wasn't "per se" insane.

Second, he points out the change in forecast wind direction and how that made a big difference in the difficulty of the hike itself, and the emergency egress route.

I also doubt her death was intentional in any way. If it were, why even bring a beacon let alone use it if your intent was to die? Plus she wasn't far from the hut where she could have found some shelter. It's just another example of blundering into death. She was knowledgable, she was prepared but as the Bible says, "...nor do those with knowledge always have success, because time and unexpected events overtake them all". Ecc 9:11

dlague

I also doubt her death was intentional in any way. If it were, why even bring a beacon let alone use it if your intent was to die? Plus she wasn't far from the hut where she could have found some shelter. It's just another example of blundering into death. She was knowledgable, she was prepared but as the Bible says, "...nor do those with knowledge always have success, because time and unexpected events overtake them all". Ecc 9:11

True, skiers and snowboarders are possibly one edge catch away from disaster at times. Think about it - how many times have you hauled ass down a run not really knowing what is ahead, or skied powder along the wood line not really knowing what is underneath, or skied the trees and hit ice, a stump or rock or got tripped up by branches. Our sport has its own risks that are not understood by those who fear what we do.

hammer

True, skiers and snowboarders are possibly one edge catch away from disaster at times. Think about it - how many times have you hauled ass down a run not really knowing what is ahead, or skied powder along the wood line not really knowing what is underneath, or skied the trees and hit ice, a stump or rock or got tripped up by branches. Our sport has its own risks that are not understood by those who fear what we do.
These scenarios are not even remotely close...:roll:

;-)

Johnnyboy

You know.....that has happened before. Multiple times. This guy's death was particularly controversial.

I've read everything I can find on the net since reading of Kate's death. That's how I ended up on this forum. It's very upsetting and too close to home for me. I've been to the Whites about 20 times over the past 35 years, mostly solo as I prefer it that way. I've gotten myself into and out of trouble in Huntington Ravine in the winter and turned back on Lion's Head after 45 minutes above treeline in 70-80mph winds with blizzard conditions. I couldn"t see my own footprints because the wind just washed them away. My thought was...I'm a father...I've got no business going any further. Next day I summitted Washington in 40 degree weather with a 5mph breeze. All of my climbs have been enjoyable, there's something magical above treeline in the winter.

I don't subscribe to the sentiment that Kate died doing something she loved. I'm fairly certain that she would rather be in a warm bed with her husband tonight. I do know, however, that we come to this life with a certain number of breaths given to us. And Kate has taken her last, and it was not up to her. She is now on to her next leg of her journey. I hope she is well.

Guy Waterman's story has always disturbed me, even closer to home. How could a man who lived and idealised so much of what I aspire to take his own life? Perhaps the answers are not above treeline after all, I never found them there. Perhaps Guy has finally found some peace.

Hey, what's worse...dying or not living while you're alive? Since I'm still breathing, I'll be seeking these answers whether I'm in Times Square or the Himalaya, it doesn't much matter...if I take a higher perspective.

Perhaps Kate can see clearer than any of us right now...
I'm afraid that Guy, since he took his own life, may not see as clearly.
Life is a precious gift..and a wonderful opportunity...enjoy each breath

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is a good video posted by Boston Globe is good:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ne...s-mountains/WERYYqDEjwRbQH4sbLVgaM/video.html

It explains that she actually got the summits of Madison and Adams before trying to return. The NH official also sums it up pretty well by saying that her plan "gave him pause" because it was not realistic considering the conditions. I think that the other point that is key is that she was a very goal oriented person and that while that may work in finance it does not always work in mountaineering. You need to be able to give up and turn around if things get bad. The mountain will be there for another day.

JimG.

Staff member
This is a good video posted by Boston Globe is good:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ne...s-mountains/WERYYqDEjwRbQH4sbLVgaM/video.html

It explains that she actually got the summits of Madison and Adams before trying to return. The NH official also sums it up pretty well by saying that her plan "gave him pause" because it was not realistic considering the conditions. I think that the other point that is key is that she was a very goal oriented person and that while that may work in finance it does not always work in mountaineering. You need to be able to give up and turn around if things get bad. The mountain will be there for another day.

Nor would she be likely to be deterred by anyone trying to convince her to not go.

What a tragic error in judgement; I feel badly for her and her family/friends. My comment referring to suicide came from confusion as to how someone with so much experience could die that way. It seemed like a possibility. Not so now after reading about her.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

ScottySkis

Condolences so sad sorry I think it kind if neat the way she checkout loving hobby now at work. Still terrible lives ahead for family .

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow , incredibly sad . Leaves me with a question about NH rescue policy and previous discussion about a hike safe card or lack of.
If a person passes away does the State send a bill to the relatives?

I'm not sure that this would be a case that would be billed. She had the right gear and experience. I think that the policy is designed to deter folks who strike out for Mount Washington with a water bottle, sneakers, and a cell phone and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
One thing I've wondered about and the graphic showing her route even makes me wonder more - she was found "a few hundred feet below the trail" - Was she blown off the trail and hurt - possibly with a sprain or break?

photo7.png

Last edited: