• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic, Mon Feb 16, 2015 Presi Day - A differentkind of report

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
So here I am, minus one degrees, it's 9AM. I figured only fools would be out that early. I was right. I was out. :)

Anyways, here's a report and photos that gives out 1,000+ lurkers a better idea of what Magic is like for the non-bark-eating, alcohol-free snow enthusiasts at heart.

OK, for starters, Let's take a look inside the place

We've got a downstairs with everything a retro area would need - ticket counter, picnic benches, tables and chairs,
attachment.php

attachment.php

a full cafeteria with all the favorites, including hot cocoa, chicken and fries, soups like chicken noodle, and a grille to make things to order. Lots of drinks, cookies and candies. Note to Magicment - You are missing fresh fruit.

attachment.php

A cool (er, warm) store, with all the Magic swag you might want, including toe warmers and stickers.

attachment.php

Since this forum is too dumb to allow more than five very valuable photos in one post, this will be continued below....

Attachments

• WP_20150216_011.jpg
    WP_20150216_011.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 348
  • WP_20150216_012.jpg
    WP_20150216_012.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 346
  • WP_20150216_013.jpg
    WP_20150216_013.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 346
  • WP_20150216_003.jpg
    WP_20150216_003.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 174
  • WP_20150216_016.jpg
    WP_20150216_016.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 346

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Now, lte's go outside

Oooh la la! The groomer did his (or her) magic last night! I've never seen so much grooming at Magic. The whole base area, all the greens, almost all the blues, Sorcerer (a black) was also groomed. Talisman had one groomer track down the side.

Here's some groomer photos to give you an idea. Lots of peeps snow tubing (it's on the other side of that hill, where all the wee ones (and big ones) are walking up the hill.

attachment.php

Black
attachment.php

You'll be a hero skiing on this stuff. It was packed powder and impossible not to ski well on it. As good as anything I've seen at Stratton, Mt. Snow, Stowe or Waterville.

Blue Square
attachment.php

Green Circle
attachment.php

All three of those pics are one the so-called east side. If you are looking at the mountain or trail map, they are on your left.

To be continued

Attachments

• WP_20150216_007.jpg
    WP_20150216_007.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 345
  • WP_20150216_018.jpg
    WP_20150216_018.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 346
  • WP_20150216_020.jpg
    WP_20150216_020.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 345
  • WP_20150216_021.jpg
    WP_20150216_021.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Part Three: Around the mountain

For more info on the green trails, check out my TR from last week.

The weather was spectacular. The sun shone all day and any wind was neglible. I appreciated that on such a cold day. There were no lines today, even though they had the ropes setup in expectation. Tons of kids today. Here's hoping they get a great week ahead. If you've not skied Magic, now's the best time. It's got an incredible base. Even in the woods it's hard to find anything but snow.

I spent the morning exploring all the so-called west side trails. I only stayed away from Black line. Magician - well, not im my lifetime.

Upper Wizard, after the curve right, the washboarding has all been removed.

Broomstick is getting rather odd - it feels and looks more like a half pipe. Most of the moguls are gone, but it still has an uneven characteristic.

Did a lot of bark eater poking around today, both named and unnamed. If anyone says they are skiing hip deep stuff, I call BS. The stuff has settled down in the woods. It's about a medium weight. Even the knee deep snow takes some looking to find. There is an amazing amount of untracked in the woods. There are some "highways" forming. I found the woods in between Mystery and Lower Magic carpet to be a wonderful place to get acclimated to woods skiing. The trees are well spaced, it's not too pitched and there is plenty of room to move about.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice groomer under the Reg chair lift, Lower Red line

attachment.php

Attachments

• WP_20150216_006.jpg
    WP_20150216_006.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 338
  • WP_20150216_004.jpg
    WP_20150216_004.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 338
  • WP_20150216_003.jpg
    WP_20150216_003.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 337
  • WP_20150216_002.jpg
    WP_20150216_002.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 338

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I didn't see anyone. The trails were so empty. I was in the woods a lot or on the greenies taking photos or playing with the flagpole. Lots of folks dressed in black. I guess it was Johnny Cash day ;) I also didn't go up to the bar, though I did go up to go to the office.. Sorry, I didn't.

I got a Windows phone and for some reason I can't post on AZ (I can't type in the composition box). I was trying to, just to let folks know I was there. You probably wouldn't want to ski with me for more than a run, I'm pretty slow in the woods, but fast on the groomers in my advanced age.

BTW, I'm glad someone cleaned up whatever spilled upstairs. It smelled like a few gallons of apple cider were spilled some place.

jrmagic

Did you happen to a see a gaper dressed in black with a white face mask?

Lol I did and I made a few laps with him. All great until I pulled a stupid move in deep snow and (Bill you may call BS but where this happened it was deep)my tip dove in with no release and messed up my right calf. Sorry I missed you again Bill.

xwhaler

Great report and pics! Really enjoying your Magic TR's recently.
Nice that you are able to highlight the really awesome cruising/intermediate terrain that is often overlooked. Magic should (and hopefully is) going to put an emphasis on reporting/marketing this type of terrain because that is where the $ is.

RustyGroomer

Great report and pics! Really enjoying your Magic TR's recently.
Nice that you are able to highlight the really awesome cruising/intermediate terrain that is often overlooked. Magic should (and hopefully is) going to put an emphasis on reporting/marketing this type of terrain because that is where the $ is.
Well said. Great report Bill. Hope I can add something to it later.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Get someone out there with a web cam and ski the groomers. Find a posse of little kids and ask if you can film them on the greens, or some newbies practicing their craft.

RustyGroomer

For Billski. Groomers are perfect. From the deck. Turn sound down.
Get someone out there with a web cam and ski the groomers. Find a posse of little kids and ask if you can film them on the greens, or some newbies practicing their craft.

RustyGroomer

Sorry about the lacks of Greens & kid/newbies. Talisman was too gorgeous & a perfect view from the deck.

medfordmike

Thanks for posting this TR Billski. I was in Southern VT with a low intermediate and an advanced but not adventurous skier about two weeks ago. We did Bromley and Stratton. They had zero interest in giving Magic a try (a mountain I have not hit yet but I have come close a few times but lift issues, lack of snow, closed midweek, etc. changed my plans). They both viewed it has too hard core, too rough around the edges, and just too plain hard. Folks who frequent AZ like the woods and steeps but a lot of the skiing public which Magic needs to thrive need to know that there is more to the place. It is nice to see a report that shows the full spectrum of Magic. With some luck I can convince someone to give it a try with me.

fluid164

Thanks so much.... Just in time for my trip there tomorrow! Can't wait.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

medfordmike

Hey MM, If your friends were hesitant, so were mine. A couple weeks back I took two of them. Show your friends this TR:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/135351-Magic-Jan-31-2015-A-tale-of-three-skiers

Thanks Billski, I saw this when you posted it. Ironically, it was posted originally right after we had finished our trip. Magic was open for a powder day I believe on 2/3 so it seemed like a good time to hit them but friends were not willing. If they had been opened on 2/2 I would have done it solo but not enough snow had fallen to trigger a powder day. So Bromley it was which was a lot of fun and two for Tuesday didn't hurt. I think your photos really tell a good story though and hopefully will spread the word.