• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington skiing into June.!

drjeff

No snow was made at K last night from what I saw on the hill today - Superstar and Skyelark are both buried still with a BIG base!!

Panic Button to a bit of Needles and a cut over to Vertigo to snowshed x-over was the kids and my favorite run - bumps, dirt, grass, some wet powder from yesterday over some corn - just classic spring skiing fun :)

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
They were rumors going around this forum and Killington Zone that snow was going to be made last night.
I agree with newpylong that it was somebody's late April fool joke. There really needs to be a hint of either logic or real need to result in something this unusual - like they just sold accidentally sold 400 beginner lessons and need to reopen Snowshed to save face!

drjeff

I agree with newpylong that it was somebody's late April fool joke. There really needs to be a hint of either logic or real need to result in something this unusual - like they just sold accidentally sold 400 beginner lessons and need to reopen Snowshed to save face!

Not sure if it was a joke by a poster on K-zone or just some lack of understanding that snowmaking crews, late season, working their way downhill with a bunch of hoses are prepping guns for summer hibernation rather than making snow!

Although the snowmaking geek in me did notice today a BIG Snow Logic gun, one that I can't even find reference too on their website, on skiers right of Skyelark after you traverse out past Superstar and Skyehawk near where the ski patrol hut by the top of the Skye Peak Express is. If the picture in question on Kzone on Friday was in that area, as opposed to what looked like mid Skyelark or Bittersweet, then maybe I could *possibly* believe that they might of just got that gun and wanted to see what it could do at a decent altitude in below freezing temps last night!

Other than that, big Kuddo's to the K snowmakers as Superstar and Skyelark are really DEEP top to bottom right now!

chuckstah

From yesterday

Attachments

• 1430010086548.jpg
    1430010086548.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 183

JDMRoma

Our son Grif liked it too!

The light was awesome as well as Low rider .... Grif zipped right along in there ! Amazing to be riding glades this late in the season !!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member
My son and I were there today I'll bet I saw you guys at some point. Trees on Skye Peak were good as well as what was already mentioned. Really a great last weekend of April.

dlague

The light was awesome as well as Low rider .... Grif zipped right along in there ! Amazing to be riding glades this late in the season !!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

To think that Grif was not able to link a turn and was snow plowing the first day of the season. We came back to Killington so he could go down Rime where he went into the woods unwillingly and broke his pole! He was convinced that that run was steeper - hahahaha!

My son and I were there today I'll bet I saw you guys at some point. Trees on Skye Peak were good as well as what was already mentioned. Really a great last weekend of April.

My son and I also went into the woods to the right of East Fall.

20150425_150956_resized.jpg

Superstar Headwall

20150425_124617_resized.jpg

Superstar Toast

20150425_141845_resized.jpg

Newpylong

If you ask me they have a chance at the record this year - so far it has been the most conducive spring to base retention that I can remember.

drjeff

If you ask me they have a chance at the record this year - so far it has been the most conducive spring to base retention that I can remember.

If this general overall weather pattern of a bit cooler and dryer than normal sticks around the next couple of months, you may be right!

If we get a major, prolonged pattern shift to warm, humid and wet, then highly doubtful

Heck, with how much snow I saw 1st hand at K on Saturday and Memorial Day being "early" this year, I'd give them a decent chance of having more than just Superstar in play trail wise then if this weather pattern continues

jasdmd0

The pile at the top of Superstar was big enough on Saturday that my 9yr old and 11yr old actually wanted to climb it so I could send it to my wife, who was home working in CT!

Easily 25 feet of snow still in that pile

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430183964314.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430183964314.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 190

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Isn't the record June 22nd or 24th? No way that happens. But a June is definitely possible.
I believe it was June 22, but there were earned-turns in July that year.

I suspect they could make it well into June - I predicted June 7; but based on staffing rosters, May 31 seems to be their final day. Strange that they wouldn't go until June 1. but there may be a payroll period issue or the like.