• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington skiing into June.!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Superstar head wall! Looking at the trail on the chair on the way up is not possible due to the wall of snow! Simply awesome.

Attachments

• 1424388328281.jpg
    1424388328281.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 479

deadheadskier

Staff member
How about some pics looking up the lift? Those are the ones that impress me the most. When people are skiing practically at the same height as the chairs.

mriceyman

That is insane.. Skiing above lift line

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
They fire any guns up bottom skiers right? That's an area that tends to go fast towards the end bringing out the "S" snow pattern. I thought I had heard that they fixed some of the snowmaking pipe on that side of the trail so they could blow that area deep too.

canobie#1

You can't see the other side of the trail when you ski on Super Star. By far the most snow I have ever seen on it and they're still going.

steamboat1

They fire any guns up bottom skiers right? That's an area that tends to go fast towards the end bringing out the "S" snow pattern. I thought I had heard that they fixed some of the snowmaking pipe on that side of the trail so they could blow that area deep too.
As of last week they hadn't used it. Pretty sure that pipe & 3/4 hydrants were put in only 2 years ago. With the new low e-gun towers on lower Supe the main snowmaking spine is further skiers left. Same thing on middle Supe, the low e-guns just don't throw the snow as far out. I'm surprised they haven't used those hydrants skiers right on lower Supe. There is an amazing amount of snow on the trail though. The headwall is a different story. I've never skied the headwall where it was so high above the lift & the main spine is centered. Don't forget Skyelark & Bitter have been getting a lot of snowmaking love too. They usually hang in there to near the end also. It's going to be a good spring in K-town.

dlague

Certianly looks like they are going to give a shot. Did not quite make it last time they tried a couple of years ago.

steamboat1

Certianly looks like they are going to give a shot. Did not quite make it last time they tried a couple of years ago.
Actually they've been trying for the past two seasons since Mike took over. They made it to May 26 in 2013 but only till May 18 last year. Last year I thought there was more snow on the trail than the previous year but it just didn't last as long. Mother nature has a role in this to no matter how much snow they blow.

skiNEwhere

Holy snikeys! I'm very jealous of the northeast right now.

I will definitely be back in late May, hopefully the spring temps cooperate and the snow sticks around long enough for me to ski it.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
One thing that has been different in the last two years from the ASC years (and before): When there were significant spaces between the islands of snow, they would allow the skiers to ride the lift up; walk down the headwall - and ski the islands - usually 3 or 4 that got one down to the crossover road, just above the lift. Sometimes, there would be hay spread over some of the muddier spots.

The other thing different was the weekend-only ops after the first week in May.

C-Rex

It's going to be a good spring in K-town.

You might even be able to say it's going to be a good SUMMER in K-town! Several years ago we were mountain biking at the end of June and there were still big swaths of snow in some of the shady areas. Maybe July 4th turns if the weather stays cool enough?

steamboat1

One thing that has been different in the last two years from the ASC years (and before): When there were significant spaces between the islands of snow, they would allow the skiers to ride the lift up; walk down the headwall - and ski the islands - usually 3 or 4 that got one down to the crossover road, just above the lift. Sometimes, there would be hay spread over some of the muddier spots.

The other thing different was the weekend-only ops after the first week in May.
On the last weekend last year you had to walk down the top of the headwall to reach the snow. I think when that happens it's the end no matter how much snow is below. It is pretty dangerous climbing down steep rocks in ski boots. Only one small section in the middle of the trail was washed out on the last day, it still had snow Sat. Most skied right over it. Still plenty of snow on the rest of the trail. The lift was still ski on ski off but I remember years when you had to carry your skis on the lift. Last year they went to a Fri.-Sun. schedule for the last two weeks only.

edit: Skyelark/lower Bitter were still open until Sat. of the last weekend. They closed them Sun. although people were still skiing it Sun. morning. They put a ski patrol guy there to stop people from skiing it mid- morning Sun.

Last edited:

Newpylong

In the ASC days you ALWAYS were skiing above the lift as they built up to Spring.

As others have said, mother nature plays a huge role in how far they go. That said, I think those low-E guns allow them to build more for cheaper.